• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

My mechanic's fabric airplane hangar

baileyrory

My mechanic keeps his own plane in a fabric airplane hangar. He claims it was a cheaper option than a post-and-beam building would have been. It's a sturdy structure but I think I'd be worried about someone breaking into it and causing mischief. I guess you wouldn't be able to store valuable items in the building like you could with a metal-sided building. I believe his is made by Alaska Structures.
Does anyone have experience with this type of airplane storage?

I've had one for ten years. Very sturdy - the roof structure at least. The end walls are what take a beating in the wind, and I'll probably replace with wood-frame when the time comes. Opening doors are difficult to incorporate into the design. Mine has no door, so the thieves can just walk right in without taking a pocket knife to the fabric! The covering is supposed to last 20-years, and it looks like it might.

I guess you wouldn't be able to store valuable items in the building like you could with a metal-sided building.
I remember when the Harley Davidson dealership was broken into at Tontitown AR---crooks unscrewed the metal siding and went in through the wall.

So you've had the original cover on it for 10 years? Is yours made by Alaska Structures too?

Yes, 10-years. The roof looks like it will easily last another 10. The north wall takes a beating from the wind - might make it another 10. The south gable, over the door opening, has deteriorated from the sun and may only last another two or three.

And no - it was made by Cover-All Building Systems of Saskatchewan (Canada), and they were bought up by Norseman Structures of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

http://www.norsemanstructures.com/

a battery operated sawzall will open most places in under a minute... be it made of fabric, wood or metal......

locks are to keep honest people out ... ONLY!

Back