• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Plane-Power

wireweinie

FOUNDER
Palmer, AK
I just got a field approval for a Plane-Power FS1-14B alternator on a Super Cub. This 30 amp alternator has an internal regulator and is direct drive as it is installed on a vacuum pump drive. If anyone wants a copy of the field approval just contact me. All I ask is that you send me a copy of your field approval, in return.

Web

weight? Price? Longevity? I never had any issue with the B&C LR-14 regulator. I'm not sure keeping it separate isn't a good idea.

I'll need to buy an alternator soon. I'd appreciate some comparative info if anyone has some.

How does the Plane Power compare to the eqivalent B&C? Why would I choose one over the other?

What RaisedByWolves said.

The B&C SD-20 has been around for a few years. It has the standard LR3C external regulator and is good for 20 amps. The Plane-Power FS1-14B is much newer. It uses an internal reg and is rated for 30 amps, for about the same dimensions as the B&C. With the internal reg, it uses one wire for the output and one line to control the reg (they refer to it as the 'enable' line). I never trust automotive alternators with internal regs as I have seen them run away, uncontrolled. A couple of times they left solder and melted copper flying around. To be honest these worst case scenarios were in cars, but after seeing them, I would never put one into an airplane. Plane-Power has claimed that this will not happen with their internal reg alternators. They won't tell me the engineering that they use to insure this but I calculate that they have a relay that physically disconnects the field windings when the 'enable' line is powered down.

The installation is even more simple than the B&C as it's installed on the vacuum pump drive and the out put and 'enable' wires are connected. Wire the 'enable' the same way as a regulator power wire. That is, from breaker, through the master switch, and to the proper terminal on the alternator.

If anyone is interested, I have figured out how to rig up an 'alternator out' light on this alternator. Might come in handy if you don't have one in your volt/ammeter.

Web

Not much detail on the Plane Power site. Is the "enable" line a field switch I can open to dump things when the smoke starts coming out? That is the serious drawback to internal regulators IMO. Jim

Not much detail on the Plane Power site. Is the "enable" line a field switch I can open to dump things when the smoke starts coming out? That is the serious drawback to internal regulators IMO. Jim

That's the way it was explained to me. Not a field power wire in the traditional sense but it controls whether the field is in operation or not.

Web

I've been thinking about removing the vacuum system and vacuum gyros on my C180 and installing some sort of electronic horizon-- maybe the new Garmin G5 EFIS. This would make the vacuum pump drive pad available for one of these alternators. Besides saving 10 pounds over the stock 16 pound 35A generator, it'd clean things up by getting rid of the separate regulator, plus no more pesky drive belt to adjust break or come off. The big old generator works fine though, so I'm probably not gonna pursue this unless it fails.

I've been thinking about removing the vacuum system and vacuum gyros on my C180 and installing some sort of electronic horizon-- maybe the new Garmin G5 EFIS. This would make the vacuum pump drive pad available for one of these alternators. Besides saving 10 pounds over the stock 16 pound 35A generator, it'd clean things up by getting rid of the separate regulator, plus no more pesky drive belt to adjust break or come off. The big old generator works fine though, so I'm probably not gonna pursue this unless it fails.

When you do change over, I think you'll be surprised how easy it is to swap out.

Web

I've been thinking about removing the vacuum system and vacuum gyros on my C180 .....This would make the vacuum pump drive pad available for one of these alternators. ....

Took a look under the cowl yesterday, it's pretty close quarters in the vacuum pump area. Hard to measure without removing the cowl, but looks like there's about 6" from the face of the drive pad to the firewall. I suspect this alternator will be too long-- what's the dimension from the mounting flange to the aft end?

From the face of the mount flange to the back of the alternator is 6 1/2". Max distance across the shroud over the back of the alternator is 4 1/4". Just remember that the control wire plugs into the back of the alternator.

Web

Don't they make this style for Lyc

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/30ampGearDrive.php
07-00771.jpg

Glenn

Attachments

• 07-00771.jpg
    07-00771.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,365
Don't they make this style for Lyc

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/30ampGearDrive.php
View attachment 25056

Glenn

That's a B&C 30 amp. It's made for the old Continental accessory drive mount. There is also a 12 amp version of this and an 8 amp version for vacuum flange mount. All of them use an external regulator/rectifier assembly.

Web

From the face of the mount flange to the back of the alternator is 6 1/2". Max distance across the shroud over the back of the alternator is 4 1/4". Just remember that the control wire plugs into the back of the alternator.

Too long for my application. Oh well.

That little orange B&C unit mounts on a standard 3-bolt generator drive pad. Vacuum pump pad is 4-bolt.

You are correct sir. The one in the pic above is the BC-433-H, rated for 30 amps and for mounting on the Continental generator drive pad. The 200G is it's 12 amp little brother. The SD-8 is the 8 amp version that is made to fit the vacuum pump drive.

Web

Getting ready to put an alternator on my 18. Would like to get a copy of your Field Approval.

field approval

Okay. I think I've got it figured out. There should be an attachment for this field approval.

Web

Attachments

• 337A.JPG
    337A.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 330
  • 337B.JPG
    337B.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 301
No issues with the cooler lines. But be sure to check the fit if you have a filter adapter installed. Also be aware that if you leave the oil screen in place, it will be loads of fun to get it out unless you remove the alternator first.

Web

At Stoddard's the other day the Plane Power spline-driven alternator was about $400 more than the equivalent B&C. Why would you choose Plane Power?

At Stoddard's the other day the Plane Power spline-driven alternator was about $400 more than the equivalent B&C. Why would you choose Plane Power?

Nothing wrong with B&C. But this Plane-Power alternator is quicker to install. Mount it on the vacuum pump drive and connect two wires. The B&C needs an external reg mounted and wired. This means that you can install the Plane-Power, yourself and save money vs. paying someone else to install the B&C. Just another option to consider.

Web

Back