Thread: Plane-Power

Post Thanks / Like

Plane-Power

I just got a field approval for a Plane-Power FS1-14B alternator on a Super Cub. This 30 amp alternator has an internal regulator and is direct drive as it is installed on a vacuum pump drive. If anyone wants a copy of the field approval just contact me. All I ask is that you send me a copy of your field approval, in return.

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Right on!!!
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! I want one! Hope they are at the Airmans show

Post Thanks / Like
    I probably have a hundred hours on mine and love it. Starts charging around 1020 rpm or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    How does the Plane Power compare to the eqivalent B&C? Why would I choose one over the other?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    How does the Plane Power compare to the eqivalent B&C? Why would I choose one over the other?
    its internally regulated, two wires run to it, thats all. IIRC it puts out more amps. i think b&c is 20

Post Thanks / Like
    weight? Price? Longevity? I never had any issue with the B&C LR-14 regulator. I'm not sure keeping it separate isn't a good idea.

I'll need to buy an alternator soon. I'd appreciate some comparative info if anyone has some.
    Likes WanaBNACub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What RaisedByWolves said.

The B&C SD-20 has been around for a few years. It has the standard LR3C external regulator and is good for 20 amps. The Plane-Power FS1-14B is much newer. It uses an internal reg and is rated for 30 amps, for about the same dimensions as the B&C. With the internal reg, it uses one wire for the output and one line to control the reg (they refer to it as the 'enable' line). I never trust automotive alternators with internal regs as I have seen them run away, uncontrolled. A couple of times they left solder and melted copper flying around. To be honest these worst case scenarios were in cars, but after seeing them, I would never put one into an airplane. Plane-Power has claimed that this will not happen with their internal reg alternators. They won't tell me the engineering that they use to insure this but I calculate that they have a relay that physically disconnects the field windings when the 'enable' line is powered down.

The installation is even more simple than the B&C as it's installed on the vacuum pump drive and the out put and 'enable' wires are connected. Wire the 'enable' the same way as a regulator power wire. That is, from breaker, through the master switch, and to the proper terminal on the alternator.

If anyone is interested, I have figured out how to rig up an 'alternator out' light on this alternator. Might come in handy if you don't have one in your volt/ammeter.

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Not much detail on the Plane Power site. Is the "enable" line a field switch I can open to dump things when the smoke starts coming out? That is the serious drawback to internal regulators IMO. Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    Not much detail on the Plane Power site. Is the "enable" line a field switch I can open to dump things when the smoke starts coming out? That is the serious drawback to internal regulators IMO. Jim
    That's the way it was explained to me. Not a field power wire in the traditional sense but it controls whether the field is in operation or not.

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been thinking about removing the vacuum system and vacuum gyros on my C180 and installing some sort of electronic horizon-- maybe the new Garmin G5 EFIS. This would make the vacuum pump drive pad available for one of these alternators. Besides saving 10 pounds over the stock 16 pound 35A generator, it'd clean things up by getting rid of the separate regulator, plus no more pesky drive belt to adjust break or come off. The big old generator works fine though, so I'm probably not gonna pursue this unless it fails.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    I've been thinking about removing the vacuum system and vacuum gyros on my C180 and installing some sort of electronic horizon-- maybe the new Garmin G5 EFIS. This would make the vacuum pump drive pad available for one of these alternators. Besides saving 10 pounds over the stock 16 pound 35A generator, it'd clean things up by getting rid of the separate regulator, plus no more pesky drive belt to adjust break or come off. The big old generator works fine though, so I'm probably not gonna pursue this unless it fails.
    When you do change over, I think you'll be surprised how easy it is to swap out.

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    I've been thinking about removing the vacuum system and vacuum gyros on my C180 .....This would make the vacuum pump drive pad available for one of these alternators. ....
    Took a look under the cowl yesterday, it's pretty close quarters in the vacuum pump area. Hard to measure without removing the cowl, but looks like there's about 6" from the face of the drive pad to the firewall. I suspect this alternator will be too long-- what's the dimension from the mounting flange to the aft end?

Post Thanks / Like
    From the face of the mount flange to the back of the alternator is 6 1/2". Max distance across the shroud over the back of the alternator is 4 1/4". Just remember that the control wire plugs into the back of the alternator.

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't they make this style for Lyc

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/30ampGearDrive.php
    Name:  07-00771.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  13.8 KB

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post

Glenn
    Yes but it's only 8.4 amp at 3500rpm

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/...s/sdaltreg.php

And you need a regulator too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post

Glenn
    That's a B&C 30 amp. It's made for the old Continental accessory drive mount. There is also a 12 amp version of this and an 8 amp version for vacuum flange mount. All of them use an external regulator/rectifier assembly.

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wireweinie View Post
    From the face of the mount flange to the back of the alternator is 6 1/2". Max distance across the shroud over the back of the alternator is 4 1/4". Just remember that the control wire plugs into the back of the alternator.
    Too long for my application. Oh well.

Post Thanks / Like
    That little orange B&C unit mounts on a standard 3-bolt generator drive pad. Vacuum pump pad is 4-bolt.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are correct sir. The one in the pic above is the BC-433-H, rated for 30 amps and for mounting on the Continental generator drive pad. The 200G is it's 12 amp little brother. The SD-8 is the 8 amp version that is made to fit the vacuum pump drive.

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting ready to put an alternator on my 18. Would like to get a copy of your Field Approval.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. I'd like to receive it. My email: fdrovetta@hotmail.com. Tks

Enviado desde mi SM-G800H mediante Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

field approval

Okay. I think I've got it figured out. There should be an attachment for this field approval.

Web
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	337A.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	26253   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	337B.JPG 
Views:	151 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	26254  

Post Thanks / Like
    Tks a lot!!!

Enviado desde mi SM-G800H mediante Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    yes please email me a copy skysigns18@yahoo.com
    thank you jc

Post Thanks / Like
    Web
    Did you have to reroute your oil cooler lines to make it fit ?
    thanks
    Dodd

Post Thanks / Like
    No issues with the cooler lines. But be sure to check the fit if you have a filter adapter installed. Also be aware that if you leave the oil screen in place, it will be loads of fun to get it out unless you remove the alternator first.

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    At Stoddard's the other day the Plane Power spline-driven alternator was about $400 more than the equivalent B&C. Why would you choose Plane Power?

Post Thanks / Like
    At Stoddard's the other day the Plane Power spline-driven alternator was about $400 more than the equivalent B&C. Why would you choose Plane Power?
    Nothing wrong with B&C. But this Plane-Power alternator is quicker to install. Mount it on the vacuum pump drive and connect two wires. The B&C needs an external reg mounted and wired. This means that you can install the Plane-Power, yourself and save money vs. paying someone else to install the B&C. Just another option to consider.

Web
    Likes WanaBNACub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If Delco Remy listed this http://www.remyautoparts.com/find-a-...-details/93019 as the replacement for the generator, could we pop it in with a log entry?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supercub1999 View Post
    If Delco Remy listed this www.remyautoparts.com/find-a-part/product-details/93019 as the replacement for the generator, could we pop it in with a log entry?
    I wouldn't use it, but it's because I feel that automotive alternators are not as safe as aviation alternators. Some of us have argued about this before (just do a search if you are interested). It's my view that automotive, internal regulators can short internally and cause an uncontrolled 'runaway'. It's the reason most aviation alternators still use an external reg, so that power can be positively removed from the field circuit.

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    was unable to copy were id could be read
    Likes Bluebear liked this post