• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

The makings of the perfect Cub rifle!

Very nice, I'm wanting a lighter rifle for the mountains, my old 375 is way too heavy. Again very nice rig.

Nice looking project hope it shoots as good as it looks, I am like don d bought a savage 110 30-06 a few years ago put a leupold 3x9 scope shooting 125 grain ballistic tips through it. have fired 5 shots through it, 1 nice buck and 3 deer killers two in the last five days all 200 yards + needed a follow up yesterday as the dog was facing me on first shot. Eagle is on dog from six days ago. P1040568.JPGP1040567.JPG

Attachments

• P1040567.JPG
    P1040567.JPG
    336.8 KB · Views: 245
  • P1040568.JPG
    P1040568.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 253
Been following you on AOD. That's cool! I wish I had those machining skills.

Interested in reading what you think about the Timney. I ordered a Borden Alpine for a project and had him include the Calvin Elite. I have 3 Jewells and have never had any problems, I just don't see the advantage for a hunting gun set in pounds as opposed to a bench gun set in ounces.

Really like the McMillan and will use the same for my Borden build. Probably paint it myself though. I've been using Axalta Mastertint Vinyl. Like it.

My finished Winter Whelen project:
84745bc90f072263a33529f82c3dec34.jpg

Interested in reading what you think about the Timney. I ordered a Borden Alpine for a project and had him include the Calvin Elite. I have 3 Jewells and have never had any problems, I just don't see the advantage for a hunting gun set in pounds as opposed to a bench gun set in ounces.

Really like the McMillan and will use the same for my Borden build. Probably paint it myself though. I've been using Axalta Mastertint Vinyl. Like it.

I had a 35 Imp Whelen 98 action on a lite sporterized stock and solid butt plate.That darn thing kicked harder then 2 mules

Glenn

That looks great! So far I love the trigger! I think you will like it!

Nice looking outfit, hope it is a shooter! Wasn't many years ago to really get dailed in ,you just had to blueprint
The receiver, square up the barrel true to frame, install custom triggers etc , to get into the big league.
Not so much nowadays, here is a Tikka T3 in 6.5 x55 we have put
Together for long range stuff. Back in its factory camouflage stock and factory mts and a Leupold 3x9 VX3 CD'S, it weighed 6lbs 15.5oz....
Only mods we did is trigger tuned to 24 oz,bolt handle, and Boyd's stock.This gun shoots quart Soda bottles at 400yds, milk jugs at 750yds, and 128oz Tide Containers at 1000yds.
The target is a 2 Shot group from a cold barrel at 300yds.
50gr RL26 , Berger 140 VLDs at 2825 fps. Factory right outta the box........

Attachments

• IMAGE00148.jpg
    IMAGE00148.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 202
  • IMAGE00147.jpg
    IMAGE00147.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 250
  • IMAGE00146.jpg
    IMAGE00146.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 215
  • IMAGE00157.jpg
    IMAGE00157.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 202
  • IMAGE00190.jpg
    IMAGE00190.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
2d0270923292eace94a49212df7a9e2c.jpg
Just finished my new 6.5 SAUM Lone peak titanium action Manners carbon fiber stock 24” 1-8.5 Bartlein barrel. 3.5-15X50 Night Force NXS 6” Lane suppressor and a Jewel trigger. Finally a long range rig that I enjoy carrying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use suppressors on most of my rifles now and love them. I haven’t experienced any notable changes in accuracy with or without them on my rifles, but you definitely have to re zero, with or without the suppressor. Usually you get a moderate increase in velocity also with the suppressor.
Also a very noticeable reduction in recoil. Quite a bit less noise also.....

I’d say if you think you might like one you will probably love one.
The only downsides are length and weight.
I’d hate to go back to hunting without one.

I use suppressors on most of my rifles now and love them. I haven’t experienced any notable changes in accuracy with or without them on my rifles, but you definitely have to re zero, with or without the suppressor. Usually you get a moderate increase in velocity also with the suppressor.

2nd that. I love my muffler and have snobbishly threaded every muzzle it will fit on. Recently finished up a .458 SOCOM on a Savage short action and really want one for it too. Drooling on Silencerco's new Hybrid.

d094bbef440af8257bd220543b787a8a.jpg

Funny how that is, ive had muzzlebrakes on a couple of rifles and took them both off. hated them. recoil is a tad less but the noise sucks. this silencer deal looks different. Im thinking thats why suppressors are coming in, and i wont be suprised to see brakes dissappear. we will see.

OK, curiosity is killing me. Does the increased MV flatten the trajectory enough to raise the POI, or does the extra weight reduce the muzzle rise and lower POI. I'm guessing lower.

http://www.lane-products.com/products/scorpion-S30.html Im thinking this is the one you have? and im still trying to understand where the exhaust gas goes?, there different. but this is interesting.
[h=5]How does the silencer tax work?[/h] The ATF charges a $200 one time tax for an NFA transfer. This applies to each NFA item you buy, so if you buy three silencers you will have to pay $600 in tax.When a transfer is approved there is a $200 stamp attached to your approved transfer form (Form 4) to show you have paid the tax hence the term "tax stamp". This tax has been in place since 1934 to try to discourage the purchase of machine guns, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, and silencers.

I like my Marlin 1895 / 45-70. It's a lot of horsepower in a fairly compact package. With Buffalo Bore ammo it'll crank out a 350 grain bullet at 2150 fps. That's a pretty good defense against big things that scratch and bite. Not a long range rifle obviously, but out to 150 yds it'll clobber most anything on this continent. The laser is great for pigs in low light. A few years ago I shot a good sized sow square between the eyes. I found the bullet in the lower intestine, it didn't quite make it through lengthwise. I was impressed. The scope is a Leupold 1x - 4x.

Attachments

• 20180102_214602.jpg
    20180102_214602.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 206
IMG_3508.jpgSept 14 021.jpgThese are my go to light guns, one is a 300 wby its a pierce engineering titanium custom the other is a Kimber Ascent 7mm. Both shoot very well.

Attachments

• IMG_3508.jpg
    IMG_3508.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 233
  • Sept 14 021.jpg
    Sept 14 021.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 212
The rifle I’m having fun with now is an Armalite Def 10 with a Nikon M308 BDC scope. This thing may be my best Cub rifle, just because it’ll be the one I fly out for no other reason but to shoot it. :wink:

OK, curiosity is killing me. Does the increased MV flatten the trajectory enough to raise the POI, or does the extra weight reduce the muzzle rise and lower POI. I'm guessing lower.

Mine have all hit lower and usually off horizontal somewhat as well. Trajectory is flatter also your data will change for long range work.

http://www.lane-products.com/products/scorpion-S30.html Im thinking this is the one you have? and im still trying to understand where the exhaust gas goes?, there different. but this is interesting.
[h=5]How does the silencer tax work?[/h] The ATF charges a $200 one time tax for an NFA transfer. This applies to each NFA item you buy, so if you buy three silencers you will have to pay $600 in tax.When a transfer is approved there is a $200 stamp attached to your approved transfer form (Form 4) to show you have paid the tax hence the term "tax stamp". This tax has been in place since 1934 to try to discourage the purchase of machine guns, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, and silencers.

All the exhaust gasses go out the hole in the muzzle end. They work similarly to a muffler on a car.

Yes that is one of the suppressors I have.

Mine have all hit lower and usually off horizontal somewhat as well. Trajectory is flatter also your data will change for long range work.

It'd be interesting to chrono the difference.

Watch your pressures in a suppressed bolt action rifle. I know several guys in the Long Range game and they have to back off their loads a good bit when shooting suppressed, easier to tear stuff up than one might think.

My Winchester Mod 70 in 30-06, rides in the gun boot, ammo is cheap. Since I've been seeing more wolf tracks than usual out on the ski trail, I've been carrying the Kel-Tec pmr 30 though. 30 rnds of 22mag in each clip. Mostly for, just in case my dog gets into it, with them.

I've found very little if any velocity change on the chrono beyond the standard deviation I get from my sorry reloads anyway. I'm not sure why the groups tighten up slightly, but as a general rule they do. The POI shift seems to be consistent, I can dial a good scope when I switch between having it off and on and be within acceptable (for me) POI shift.

With pressure, I've noticed that the AR types like to spit gas in my face with the suppressor on. Must be some increase. I can really hear the spring in the buffer tube when it's on, makes me feel like I'm shooting a Nerf gun.

It's really fun with subsonic loads. The bullet whacking the backstop is often times louder than the report.

Watch your pressures in a suppressed bolt action rifle. I know several guys in the Long Range game and they have to back off their loads a good bit when shooting suppressed, easier to tear stuff up than one might think.

I see the LR guys using them on TV and Internet. I wonder how they deal with the mirage it generates. Mine is so hot after 3 rounds that it's hard to see the target through the scope unless there's a good breeze.

Your groups are probably shrinking due to diminished barrel vibration. The suppressor acts as something of a harmonic dampener.

Back