Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The makings of the perfect Cub rifle!

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious. did you do any paper target shooting before and after the silencer?? And what you think of it??

Post Thanks / Like
    I use suppressors on most of my rifles now and love them. I haven’t experienced any notable changes in accuracy with or without them on my rifles, but you definitely have to re zero, with or without the suppressor. Usually you get a moderate increase in velocity also with the suppressor.
    Also a very noticeable reduction in recoil. Quite a bit less noise also.....

I’d say if you think you might like one you will probably love one.
    The only downsides are length and weight.
    I’d hate to go back to hunting without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes WanaBNACub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyo Boy View Post
    I use suppressors on most of my rifles now and love them. I haven’t experienced any notable changes in accuracy with or without them on my rifles, but you definitely have to re zero, with or without the suppressor. Usually you get a moderate increase in velocity also with the suppressor.

2nd that. I love my muffler and have snobbishly threaded every muzzle it will fit on. Recently finished up a .458 SOCOM on a Savage short action and really want one for it too. Drooling on Silencerco's new Hybrid.

Likes WanaBNACub, Wyo Boy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny how that is, ive had muzzlebrakes on a couple of rifles and took them both off. hated them. recoil is a tad less but the noise sucks. this silencer deal looks different. Im thinking thats why suppressors are coming in, and i wont be suprised to see brakes dissappear. we will see.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, curiosity is killing me. Does the increased MV flatten the trajectory enough to raise the POI, or does the extra weight reduce the muzzle rise and lower POI. I'm guessing lower.
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !
    Likes WanaBNACub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.lane-products.com/products/scorpion-S30.html Im thinking this is the one you have? and im still trying to understand where the exhaust gas goes?, there different. but this is interesting.
    How does the silencer tax work?

The ATF charges a $200 one time tax for an NFA transfer. This applies to each NFA item you buy, so if you buy three silencers you will have to pay $600 in tax.When a transfer is approved there is a $200 stamp attached to your approved transfer form (Form 4) to show you have paid the tax hence the term "tax stamp". This tax has been in place since 1934 to try to discourage the purchase of machine guns, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, and silencers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like my Marlin 1895 / 45-70. It's a lot of horsepower in a fairly compact package. With Buffalo Bore ammo it'll crank out a 350 grain bullet at 2150 fps. That's a pretty good defense against big things that scratch and bite. Not a long range rifle obviously, but out to 150 yds it'll clobber most anything on this continent. The laser is great for pigs in low light. A few years ago I shot a good sized sow square between the eyes. I found the bullet in the lower intestine, it didn't quite make it through lengthwise. I was impressed. The scope is a Leupold 1x - 4x.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180102_214602.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	500.3 KB 
ID:	34414  
    Likes fancypants liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3508.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	179.7 KB 
ID:	34415Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sept 14 021.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	34416These are my go to light guns, one is a 300 wby its a pierce engineering titanium custom the other is a Kimber Ascent 7mm. Both shoot very well.

Post Thanks / Like
    The rifle I’m having fun with now is an Armalite Def 10 with a Nikon M308 BDC scope. This thing may be my best Cub rifle, just because it’ll be the one I fly out for no other reason but to shoot it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PerryB View Post
    OK, curiosity is killing me. Does the increased MV flatten the trajectory enough to raise the POI, or does the extra weight reduce the muzzle rise and lower POI. I'm guessing lower.
    Mine have all hit lower and usually off horizontal somewhat as well. Trajectory is flatter also your data will change for long range work.

Thanks PerryB thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tempdoug View Post
    http://www.lane-products.com/products/scorpion-S30.html Im thinking this is the one you have? and im still trying to understand where the exhaust gas goes?, there different. but this is interesting.

The ATF charges a $200 one time tax for an NFA transfer. This applies to each NFA item you buy, so if you buy three silencers you will have to pay $600 in tax.When a transfer is approved there is a $200 stamp attached to your approved transfer form (Form 4) to show you have paid the tax hence the term "tax stamp". This tax has been in place since 1934 to try to discourage the purchase of machine guns, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, and silencers.
    All the exhaust gasses go out the hole in the muzzle end. They work similarly to a muffler on a car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tempdoug View Post

Yes that is one of the suppressors I have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine have all hit lower and usually off horizontal somewhat as well. Trajectory is flatter also your data will change for long range work.

It'd be interesting to chrono the difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Watch your pressures in a suppressed bolt action rifle. I know several guys in the Long Range game and they have to back off their loads a good bit when shooting suppressed, easier to tear stuff up than one might think.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!
    Likes Wyo Boy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My Winchester Mod 70 in 30-06, rides in the gun boot, ammo is cheap. Since I've been seeing more wolf tracks than usual out on the ski trail, I've been carrying the Kel-Tec pmr 30 though. 30 rnds of 22mag in each clip. Mostly for, just in case my dog gets into it, with them.

Post Thanks / Like

The makings of the perfect Cub rifle!

I've found very little if any velocity change on the chrono beyond the standard deviation I get from my sorry reloads anyway. I'm not sure why the groups tighten up slightly, but as a general rule they do. The POI shift seems to be consistent, I can dial a good scope when I switch between having it off and on and be within acceptable (for me) POI shift.

With pressure, I've noticed that the AR types like to spit gas in my face with the suppressor on. Must be some increase. I can really hear the spring in the buffer tube when it's on, makes me feel like I'm shooting a Nerf gun.

It's really fun with subsonic loads. The bullet whacking the backstop is often times louder than the report.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDCROWE View Post
    Watch your pressures in a suppressed bolt action rifle. I know several guys in the Long Range game and they have to back off their loads a good bit when shooting suppressed, easier to tear stuff up than one might think.
    I see the LR guys using them on TV and Internet. I wonder how they deal with the mirage it generates. Mine is so hot after 3 rounds that it's hard to see the target through the scope unless there's a good breeze.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your groups are probably shrinking due to diminished barrel vibration. The suppressor acts as something of a harmonic dampener.
    Thanks gbflyer thanked for this post