Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Benton Air Center in Redding, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Benton Air Center in Redding, CA

I got stuck in Redding, CA while ferrying my new PA-12 north. The weather closed down on I-5 just north of here. I decided to land at Benton which is the smaller field here. I can't say enough good things about Jim Ostrich the owner of Benton Air Center! I asked them about tie downs for the night on the radio. He took a look at my airplane and said hey is that a fabric covered airplane? I told him yes. He said it's going to rain do you want to put it in the hangar for the night? I got it into the hangar and he handed me the keys to a beater pickup truck and directed me to a decent hotel with a nice bar next door. Jim's a real standup guy and has a nice operation!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Longley View Post
    I got stuck in Redding, CA while ferrying my new PA-12 north. The weather closed down on I-5 just north of here. I decided to land at Benton which is the smaller field here. I can't say enough good things about Jim Ostrich the owner of Benton Air Center! I asked them about tie downs for the night on the radio. He took a look at my airplane and said hey is that a fabric covered airplane? I told him yes. He said it's going to rain do you want to put it in the hangar for the night? I got it into the hangar and he handed me the keys to a beater pickup truck and directed me to a decent hotel with a nice bar next door. Jim's a real standup guy and has a nice operation!
    Welcome to the world of Cub ownership, what you experienced happens every day all over the country. These magical little airplanes make folks smile weather they are flying them or just looking at them.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim also has some pretty neat airplanes. The only one he is missing is a Cub.

Post Thanks / Like
    You picked a bad week to ferry up the west coast.