Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Airglas GLH3000 hydraulic skis

Post Thanks / Like

Airglas GLH3000 hydraulic skis

I am buying a PA-12 and want to get back into ski flying. What's the consensus on the Airglas hydraulic skis? The last time I flew skis was in a 185 for Cape Smythe back in the day...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have never flown them, but I do hear good reviews. I have installed them on cubs before and they are a pain in the ____ss.
    My superior skills continue to get me out of where my piss poor judgement took me......

Post Thanks / Like
    Any more pireps on these skis? Searched the forum and might have missed a more informative thread. I'm looking for anyone with deep snow high altitude experience out there.

Jerry
    If it looks smooth...it might be

If it looks rough...it is!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The only downside I have heard is the electric pump takes about 1 min to cycle the ski. Never heard of a flotation issue. Lots of the hydraulic skis make for cubs where meant for 1 1/4 in axle calipers if you have 1 1/2 in axles/calipers you may want to call and check if they will fit.
    DENNY
    Thanks cubflier thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubflier View Post
    Any more pireps on these skis? Searched the forum and might have missed a more informative thread. I'm looking for anyone with deep snow high altitude experience out there.

Jerry

Iíve got several winters on my GLH 3000 fit to a PA-18 150HP. I live in SE AK (Juneau) and donít have option of low altitude consistent snow/freezing temps so most of my operation is on the Juneau Icefield 4-6500í in elevation above Sea level. I can say they perform well from all my exposure. Iíve had zero issues or complaints operating in snow conditions that has knee deep penetration when stepping out of the plane. When it has been deeper snow depths I am usually operating solo and cannot speak to DEEP snow with gross load. Gross load at 6,000í in ankle deep penetration snow has been no issue. I have Burls Tail Ski also FYI. Iíve been operating the skis with the electric pump and find it to be more weight and points of failure for cold weather ops so am transitioning to a hand pump only for this upcoming winters operation. Hope that helps some.
    Thanks cubflier thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bjh356 View Post
    I’ve got several winters on my GLH 3000 fit to a PA-18 150HP. I live in SE AK (Juneau) and don’t have option of low altitude consistent snow/freezing temps so most of my operation is on the Juneau Icefield 4-6500’ in elevation above Sea level. I can say they perform well from all my exposure. I’ve had zero issues or complaints operating in snow conditions that has knee deep penetration when stepping out of the plane. When it has been deeper snow depths I am usually operating solo and cannot speak to DEEP snow with gross load. Gross load at 6,000’ in ankle deep penetration snow has been no issue. I have Burls Tail Ski also FYI. I’ve been operating the skis with the electric pump and find it to be more weight and points of failure for cold weather ops so am transitioning to a hand pump only for this upcoming winters operation. Hope that helps some.
    Thanks for the insight. The electric pump is a big concern of mine. I have limped home on no battery before and would not have wanted to be stuck in ski mode. Cornering in tight places is another concern. I have a couple of treasured spots that are very tight with consequences in turning wide. I assume to do a single wheel drop is no big deal?

I think I recall something about a hand pump discussion in a previous thread. I'll look for it.

Thanks - Jerry
    If it looks smooth...it might be

If it looks rough...it is!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Doing the single wheel drop is as easy as can be, just apply the brake for the ski you want to keep down and the tire will keep that plate from opening, then you can spin the pane on a dime!

Post Thanks / Like
    It takes about a minute to manually extend or retract our GLH3000 ski’s. Can do it in 40 secs pumping furiously.(IIRC In a past post it was 79 full throws of handle) We have a pretty short handle. That lower cockpit space is at premium wearing winter boots.
    Thanks Charlie Longley thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Drake at Earth Center here in Haines runs a set.

I watched him take off last spring and the skis looked like they were pitched way nose up with the wheels down... so wonder how they fly as far as drag. I need to ask that question to him.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    We just bought a set for our Cessna 180, hoping they are close to our straight Airglas 3000, floats are coming off and wheel skis on. My brother operated a set of the 4000 on a Bush Hawk and commented that you transition to ski mode for cross country trips for just that reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eskimo77 View Post
    We just bought a set for our Cessna 180, hoping they are close to our straight Airglas 3000, floats are coming off and wheel skis on. My brother operated a set of the 4000 on a Bush Hawk and commented that you transition to ski mode for cross country trips for just that reason.
    Thatís how I operate. Ski mode for XCountry.