• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Retracing "Flight of Passage" Part II

beas44

Canton, Oh.
Hi everyone,

I'm a new member, but have read through the forum before. I am glad to join the forum.

We have owned our 1940 J3 since 1986. Recovered and zero timed in 2007.

Well my 18 year old son decided after reading Flight of Passage, that we should also retrace the Buck's route.

I've read through Chris' posts, but I am looking for any and all help planning out our trip this upcoming May. We are no strangers to flying cross-counties but this one would by far would be our furthest, not to mention we haven't done any small aircraft mountain flying, nor have we flown VFR in Southern Cal.

I know this forum is full of great advice, and we will appreciate it all.

Thanks in advance,

Mike and Ryan

Last edited:
First, I have to admit, I REALLY enjoyed the "Flight of Passage". I found it a confidence builder to do some of the many adventures that I have enjoyed. My suggestion would be to do your own flight. I believe there are many, many beautiful places to visit in our good old USA. The freedom of flight is truly a wonderful experience. Trying to follow another's path, to me would impose goals that winds and weather might make the mission challenging beyond my comfort zone. I have had "planned" routes that mother nature caused LARGE detours. These detours have led to some amazing places and best of all some really kind and helpful people that remain life long friends. As Mr. Bill Rusk would say I have been "truly Blessed" ---geezer Dan---OH YAH---when in mountains or areas unfamiliar---ask a local flyer---their experience can be VERY helpful.

Last edited:
Welcome, Sounds like a great father and son adventure. I agree with Dan, time and places have changed since 1966 and you might have a more enjoyably experience planning your own cross country trip.

Glenn

Thanks for the great advice guys. You hit the nail on the head, the trip is a bonding trip, along the way I hope it will help him gain more experience before he heads off to college, and lets face it I plan on learning my share.

Our plan is to use their trip as a general outline. We have friends in Bethlehem Pa. and Orange Co. Ca. that we plan to visit with, so their route gives us a good starting and ending point and rough outline to use . While we may stop in on some of the fields they did along the way, we would much rather stop by a place with incredible chili or stay over at a welcoming little grass strip with great conversation. We also are more than aware that weather will play a factor, and will adjust or trip according. My goal is definitely more about the experience than to recreate the book.

That being said, we are all ears on any place that would allow us to stop in and say hi. I look forward to any other advice out there.

Hopefully we will meet some of you in May.

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member, but have read through the forum before. I am glad to join the forum.

We have owned our 1940 J3 since 1986. Recovered and zero timed in 2007.

Well my 18 year old son decided after reading Flight of Passage, that we should also retrace the Buck's route.

I've read through Chris' posts, but I am looking for any and all help planning out our trip this upcoming May. We are no strangers to flying cross-counties but this one would by far would be our furthest, not to mention we haven't done any small aircraft mountain flying, nor have we flown VFR in Southern Cal.

I know this forum is full of great advice, and we will appreciate it all.

Thanks in advance,

Mike and Ryan

I wouldn't spend a ton of time flight planning, weather will likely drive your path. Pick a destination and go, leave your arrival dates flexible. You can put ADSB weather on your ipad...etc but it may be a good idea to purchase a month or two of XM weather for the places ADS-B does not work from ground stations.

Also, take the time now to go fly in the wind.

Here is an album from heading west in 2009. https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipPIZZ-RFJEtfsJdeAAucLY1vWlllaoIHiV3ZvhN

Just go. On any X-C trip a lot of the planning falls out the window as you confront the realities of weather and fatigue. A bit of serendipity, however, will keep delivering and you'll quickly discover your own Flight of Passage while paying a bit of homage to the 1966 version. I think that undertaking a flying journey inspired by the Buck brothers but done as your own unique journey is the best way to celebrate the gift of the book. It's the people and places and the confidence that you gain in doing a trip that are the best, not to mention the things you discover about yourself. And the Great Cub Men and Women of SC.org will be around every corner to help out.

You can't beat a cross country, work a couple fly in's into the trip. Go to Lockhaven and leave after or something like that. When I fly xc I have a general route but it changes with the wind, I may land sooner at a different airport, etc

Back