• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New Helmet (HGU 84 vs "new" Bonehead Composite Aviation helmet)

The Gallet appears to have a EPS liner. EPS in a variety of formulations, wall thickness and densities is the goto impact material for bicycle, ski and motorcycle helmets. EPS is great stuff pound for pound and inch for inch but it is rock hard and not so friendly as a bump helmet.

Probably true, but that's where the Zeta Liner is beautiful. Nice and soft, though it can be a little warm in the summer. Not too hot in most conditions in my experience, but you'll want to wash it more often when it's warm out. I've worn one in 130 deg F ambient temps.

Probably true, but that's where the Zeta Liner is beautiful. Nice and soft, though it can be a little warm in the summer. Not too hot in most conditions in my experience, but you'll want to wash it more often when it's warm out. I've worn one in 130 deg F ambient temps.

I love Oregon Aero. Have their seats and their hush kit.
The Oregon Aero Zeta helmet liner is a huge improvement over the government issue stuff when it comes to comfort but I am skeptical of the impact improvements they claim. I believe the zeta liner is made from Urethane foam (EAR - Confor). Confor is temperature sensitive and heavy but comfortable as all get out when warmed up.

Huh? There's no foam in my Zeta Liner, is there? I guess there may be some foam material but it isn't stiff. It just takes up space and makes the liner feel cushy. I guess I never thought about it.

Last edited:
Huh? There's no foam in my Zeta Liner, is there? I guess there may be some foam material but it isn't stiff. It just takes up space and makes the liner feel cushy. I guess I never thought about it.

You should have between 1/4 and 5/8" of urathane foam sandwich between two layers of brushed fabric. Amazing how much a 1/4" of urathane foam can improve comfort.

Bill,

Mine is a fabric envelope with approx 1/8" of soft material in the middle. Looking at the washing label it says to fold a towel and press water out, don't wring, so it must be some sort of foam but it's thin and soft. It's a comfort liner, not a structural one. I put my helmet on in the cold and the foam ear cups are the only thing that's stiff and uncomfortable and that passes in about 30 seconds. It's less annoying than using DC gel seals in the cold. THAT its uncomfortable. Getting rid of the cold gel seals was the best reason to buy the OA hush kit!

I always wear a balaclava under winter motorsports helmets. I never wear one in the Gallet. I need to try that. If nothing else it'd buffer my ears from the cold. It may compromise the noise control, though. No risk in trying.

Last edited:
I have been trying out the PilotX for a couple of weeks and I like it. It took a bit of padding adjustment to get it comfortable but now I hardly notice it. It is very light weight and low profile. I tried out the ANR option, but after wearing Lightspeeds for 2 years, this ANR just doesn't cut it. I will likely go with the ear bud option instead. My only complaint with the helmet is the ear cups. They just don't match up to the overall very high quality of the helmet. Customer service at Bonehead is very good and they may have some other options for the ear cups but I have not checked out what else they have to offer.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 584
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 952
Ive broken my neck twice now and I sure would like to try out a couple brands before I bought in. I do want to fly with one. At one time I had heard of some people that had retrofitted a david clark helmet with a set of Bose A20. I would like to hear more about that as I have the Bose. They are the only set I have tried that didn't hurt my neck. Haven't tried LS though probably same

Hey Weldon, Ben with the Red/Black J3, I tried fitting LS Zulu's into my David Clark, with limited success, the problem is how the headband attaches to the ear cups, they just stick out too far, think the Bose A20's are similar. I had to cut a slot in the helmet to get them to fit reasonably, but it compromised the rigidity of the helmet. Maybe if you have a skinny head you could make them fit without the cutting. Still protects me front bumping my head on the metal spar in the front seat though. I have an unmodified DC Helmet you could see if they fit in before buying.

Back