• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Straight Skis on Grass?

I'm saying close the throttle on downwind opposite the landing point with only small uses of throttle for clearing purposes.

So is this a landing technique some Cub pilots use? I've never made a landing like this but it would seem to me it would be difficult to land close to a predetermined spot. I'll have to give it a try and see what I think. ��

So is this a landing technique some Cub pilots use? I've never made a landing like this but it would seem to me it would be difficult to land close to a predetermined spot. I'll have to give it a try and see what I think. ��
That is the way I was taught. And was a maneuver which I had to demonstrate for my commercial flight test. It is also part of a forced landing practice procedure. How will you do in the case of an engine failure? If you practice this on every or nearly every flight, a real forced landing will be a non event. This is not a landing technique which is exclusively for Cubs. You may be amazed at how big an airplane could be to also be making power off landings.

Your biggest concern will be determining the amount of wind and making the appropriate adjustments. Also your traffic pattern dimensions will be tighter. Watch out for the pilot who is in the next county on downwind and final.

When DeRonda was open we used to do a spot landing contest. Mid field cross wind at 500' As you crossed over center field you turned the mags off. Runway had a 200' hay field at end of runway as a safety zone. Lot of fun.

Glenn

Seems like you can get in shorter with power. It's good to be comfortable with both, but with the kind of flying I do, I use power. Fun to shoot landings at the airport power off. I like a nice tight pattern. I did 4 trips around the pattern to a guys one. The instructor said after my first one, you can keep going, I got a student here. Which was nice of him.

I was about the only person I knew that landed the 727 with the power at idle. Had to kill the sink first. One of the first things I did with my Cub was to stop the engine and prop over my airfield to see how it flew dead stick.

Now you know two people. Try an ILS with a lightly loaded 777, then when you close the throttles to flair you find that they have been at idle the whole time.

I was about the only person I knew that landed the 727 with the power at idle. Had to kill the sink first. One of the first things I did with my Cub was to stop the engine and prop over my airfield to see how it flew dead stick.
But, you gotta admit, it took a lot of convincing!

Back