• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wildcat Cub

No shipping charges for will call orders. It adds about 2 miles to my commute. I like having Spruce in Wasilla!

Grumble. They just sent me an invoice(additional $17) for a FULLY paid for order(PayPal) that I payed $32 to ship a order small box worth. that they decided to break into 3 shipments because they lack stock. One was a few bolts and 9$ shipping to get the 8 miles to my PO. eventually it will be nice having them up here once they get their **** together....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I don't know how many of you have installed a dynafocal engine by yourselves. I had the motor on the ceiling hoist and still needed a cherry picker the lift the front. Probably should have put it on little tires but I decided to skip that exercise. A good day just the same. It's beer thirty!

Fits like a glove. Superior's cold air induction sump is on. Ported, polished, balanced, 10:1 compression, and now with improved induction flow, induction air temp, and state of the art fuel injection. That's how you make horsepower.

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0827.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0824.JPG
    IMG_0824.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_0827.JPG
    IMG_0827.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Grumble. They just sent me an invoice(additional $17) for a FULLY paid for order(PayPal) that I payed $32 to ship a order small box worth. that they decided to break into 3 shipments because they lack stock. One was a few bolts and 9$ shipping to get the 8 miles to my PO. eventually it will be nice having them up here once they get their **** together....

I have a commercial account with Spruce and they have tried charging me shipping on orders that qualified for free shipping. An email or phone call rectified the issue.

Alaskans are used to shipping charges. Getting charged two or three times for partial orders can be annoying. Spruce's order page has a box you can check to "ship order complete". No multiple shipping charges but it may take longer to get your parts. These days I stop at Spruce every couple of days. I enjoy it. Nice people.

I have the dealer account also. I've found that many items are cheaper if I have them shipped from CA than if I check the box for Wasilla. I don't understand why but always check out the shipping options for this.

Web

I have the dealer account also. I've found that many items are cheaper if I have them shipped from CA than if I check the box for Wasilla. I don't understand why but always check out the shipping options for this.

Web

When I recently got the dealer account they must have set me up a charge account? Wonder what my limit is? Never had been a problem before, always payed in full with PayPal. Plan on emailing today. The one part of order was $5 of small bolts and 7.53$ shipping. The broke that order into 3 shipments. And yes they do mark up some Alaska stuff, so I normally still order from west or East depending on shipping. Oddly it can be cheaper to ship from East.

Fits like a glove. Superior's cold air induction sump is on. Ported, polished, balanced, 10:1 compression, and now with improved induction flow, induction air temp, and state of the art fuel injection. That's how you make horsepower.

View attachment 46815

View attachment 46816

I have never heard of or seen one of these sumps. Judging by the pictures, the air/fuel mixture bypasses the sump altogether creating the cold air induction?

... An email or phone call rectified the issue.

thanks, used main "contact us" link instead of replying to email like yesterday, and this one is resolved.... will see if it stays resolved....

back on topic... got the mold out for the oil cooler gaskets modified it and made a new one new gasket... version #3?, 6?

how many gaskets do you need?

It’s very satisfying that I did 100% of the work but I will drag Mike in for an inspection and eyes-on for first start. I miss the days in his shop. Building these things is fun. I need another project.

Nice going Stewart, looks great again, now just get spring in high gear and virus gone and all will be good.
John

Awesome! Two builds in one. When the sh.t storm is done fly over I will show you mine and you show me yours:) 9AK8 Working every day now on the Monster Cub...
Bob

stewartb, looks real clean and sharp. congrats on the project and the finishing touches! keep us posted on how the inspection and flight goes. i'm jealous...

stay well up there during this covid crisis!
R/
blaize

Almost two years after the first flight and I finally got to utilize my repairman cert. Condition inspection complete and logs officially signed off. New motor hung and a few other repairs made. Pretty cool milestone for an amateur. The fun continues.

I'm thrilled for you, Stewart. I can't believe it's almost been two years since we saw your walk-around video.

I believe that things happen for a reason. Last summer I changed my company’s software and consequently lost a few employees at the same time as by business picked up significantly. A perfect storm in my professional life. I had no time to fly, let alone work on a project airplane. Things have a funny way of working out once we accept that we can’t control them.

Life is good. Now to avoid this plague and enjoy it!

Some may recall the topic of these long Keller flaps being extremely difficult to pull and blowing back up from air pressure. I relocated the bell crank push rod attachments (2 per wing) inboard about 1-1/2" and holy cow, what an improvement. I can pull full flaps With less effort and they stay down. Now I'm getting the performance I paid for. It was a quick and easy fix and I didn't even need to adjust the rods. Now flaps don't sag when parked, either, even after removing a spring from each side.

Attachments

• 7FF9B584-7777-461C-9CAE-25427047FCF2.jpg
    7FF9B584-7777-461C-9CAE-25427047FCF2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 158
Perhaps the best change I've made was reconfiguring the brake masters. My original brakes barely held the plane at fast idle so after a couple of discussions with Grove I removed my horizontal Matco masters and installed integral reservoir Grove masters with reduced bore for more pressure and put them on the pedals. Now I can hold the plane at high power on 35s. I didn't expect that kind of improvement but I'm happy to have it. I love toe brakes! ;)

Attachments

• 800DD031-5059-4A41-A89E-31050A314DB7.jpg
    800DD031-5059-4A41-A89E-31050A314DB7.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 221
Without changing the arch or notches I'm now getting 51*. Before on the ground it was closer 60* but it was impossible to pull the last notch in flight. I have room for another notch but the flap handle angle would be challenging so I'll leave it as is for now.

Without changing the arch or notches I'm now getting 51*. Before on the ground it was closer 60* but it was impossible to pull the last notch in flight. I have room for another notch but the flap handle angle would be challenging so I'll leave it as is for now.
Hi Stuart, 51* on the ground or in the air flying?
Cheers Heiko

Sent from my SM-G930F using SuperCub.Org mobile app

It appears to apply to both. I had to remove my string pot so all I have to go on is visual. Do you have the unequal arm flap bell cranks?

From 3" extended Airframes gear to 6" extended TK-1 gear.

Floor to forward gear attach bolt went from 38 1/2" to 42".
Floor to tip of the spinner went from 74" to 78".
Bottom of rib static AOA increased from 14* to 16*.

I'm pleased.

Attachments

• FDABB625-BB7B-4B2C-AC14-795FD3FF4AD4.jpg
    FDABB625-BB7B-4B2C-AC14-795FD3FF4AD4.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 197
After hand-fabricating extended gear with bungees, and then trying a couple different home-made oleo designs, I was looking at the fuselage hanging from the ceiling thinking, "why not TK-1 and be done with it?"

You're pushing me in that direction. That looks really nice.

Floor to tip of the spinner went from 74" to 78".
I'm pleased.

This is the number that makes me laugh when people say 3" or 6" extension doesn't move the whole plane up that much because the gear is at a 45* angle and is only increased in length that much not in actual height. It actually lifts the prop clearances MORE than the advertised number because the deck angle is increased and height increases at an increasing rate the farther you measure down the axis of angle increase. It's not complicated math stuff to see it's clear as day that the prop is farther forward than the landing gear so any increase in landing gear length nets a larger % increase further forward.

Thanks for providing solid numbers.

Jr,

That begs a question. What does 3" or 6" extended mean? What exactly is extended? TK says for his gear it's the shock strut and given that he also provides a deeper cabane I think that's probably different than Airframes or Atlee gear that maintains the same cabane. This gear itself is longer than the 3" it replaces but I didn't compare. I'll pull a tape on them tonight.

SB

Back