Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Wildcat Cub

Post Thanks / Like
    After hand-fabricating extended gear with bungees, and then trying a couple different home-made oleo designs, I was looking at the fuselage hanging from the ceiling thinking, "why not TK-1 and be done with it?"

You're pushing me in that direction. That looks really nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    Floor to tip of the spinner went from 74" to 78".
    I'm pleased.
    This is the number that makes me laugh when people say 3" or 6" extension doesn't move the whole plane up that much because the gear is at a 45* angle and is only increased in length that much not in actual height. It actually lifts the prop clearances MORE than the advertised number because the deck angle is increased and height increases at an increasing rate the farther you measure down the axis of angle increase. It's not complicated math stuff to see it's clear as day that the prop is farther forward than the landing gear so any increase in landing gear length nets a larger % increase further forward.

Thanks for providing solid numbers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jr,

That begs a question. What does 3" or 6" extended mean? What exactly is extended? TK says for his gear it's the shock strut and given that he also provides a deeper cabane I think that's probably different than Airframes or Atlee gear that maintains the same cabane. This gear itself is longer than the 3" it replaces but I didn't compare. I'll pull a tape on them tonight.

SB

Post Thanks / Like
    That's definitely interesting. I can tell you that Airframes gear uses the same cabane but the shock struts and gear are extended 3" directly outwards on the front gear leg tube. The front gear leg tube goes from 27" to 30" in length so it's a straight outward/downward extension. Same at Atlee as that's basically what everyone else copied except perhaps TK.

I'm wondering if the reason TK specs a different cabane is for the shocks themselves. When we first tested the ACME shocks the upper attach point was too large to fit into a normal cabane and then they changed the upper eye to be offset to fit standard cabanes. I wonder if TK ran into similar issues and just made their own cabane with the shock attach spaced differently.

Post Thanks / Like
    ....also, with 3, 6, 10 inch extended gear etc, is there a point at which the track is not getting wider? What I mean is this, are the shock struts going to stop having to be made longer and the axle to gear leg angle reduced to compensate for longer and longer legs? Thus resulting in the higher AOA we look for without a ever increasing track width.

Clear as mud?
    "Always looking up"
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't measure the width because it wasn't a primary factor in my decision but as gear gets taller I think it needs to get wider to maintain stability. Taxiing in a crosswind comes to mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rev 2 vs 180. This is a big Cub.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1C1CF66E-A450-4E3C-A127-21A008765D61.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	51084  

Post Thanks / Like
    Stewart,
    Big boy!
    The Husky gear from factory is now extended 4" longer and 2" forward. Of course all gets wider track when extended.
    And when one has 35's it all gets to big boy size!
    Looks good.
    John
    Likes stewartb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Nephew is about to start a Mackey SQ-12 to replace his very nice BCSC SQ-2. This should be fun to watch. His seat height cabin width is approx 6" wider than mine and the airframe length is 9" longer. And I thought my Cub was big! But I have a better baggage area, so at least I have that going for me.

The evolution of these airplanes is amazing.

Name:	DAA6ACF4-2B28-42DC-B0D7-0FAD393D6A3A.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	51357  
    Last edited by stewartb; 10-01-2020 at 03:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Who produces the Mackey SQ-12 kit?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if it's called a kit but the airframe is from Wayne Mackey and the wings are by Javron with some adjustments to the standard Cub parts list. No controls or tail feathers arrived. No idea of the plan for those. It's an interesting airframe. It looks well thought out, well built, and very complete. And tough. Probably tougher in the back half than mine is, but at the expense of the huge baggage area and door I have. It's still got a good cargo area. It'll use a linear actuator for trim like mine and the rudder pedals are very similar to mine. It'll be fun to see a few more of these flying.
    Thanks Airguide thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair, Olibuilt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if it's called a kit but the airframe is from Wayne Mackey and the wings are by Javron with some adjustments to the standard Cub parts list. No controls or tail feathers arrived. No idea of the plan for those. It's an interesting airframe. It looks well thought out, well built, and very complete. And tough. Probably tougher in the back half than mine is, but at the expense of the huge baggage area and door I have. It's still got a good cargo area. It'll use a linear actuator for trim like mine and the rudder pedals are very similar to mine. It'll be fun to see a few more of these flying.
    Very interesting fuselage!!

More pictures please??

Post Thanks / Like
    Nephew is about to start a Mackey SQ-12 to replace his very nice BCSC SQ-2. This should be fun to watch. His seat height cabin width is approx 6" wider than mine and the airframe length is 9" longer. And I thought my Cub was big! But I have a better baggage area, so at least I have that going for me.

The evolution of these airplanes is amazing.
    Float fittings, yet no float tube to front wing attach?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Likes barrow pilot liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It'll use a linear actuator for trim like mine
    Please refresh my memory as to what you used. Been considering alternatives for the Exp -12 I'm working on. Thanks -
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)
    Thanks Airguide thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Misch View Post
    Please refresh my memory as to what you used. Been considering alternatives for the Exp -12 I'm working on. Thanks -
    Gordon, I found it in my bookmarks:

https://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...l=1#post713142

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks - that particular model is too long, but I see they have a good selection of alternatives. I appreciate the help!
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    Float fittings, yet no float tube to front wing attach?
    Are you saying there are no structural members creating a landing load path to the front wing attach location?

Is there a good picture available of the bare fuselage which shows this area?
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Misch View Post
    I haven’t found any trace of AEI for a couple of years.

Something to consider with linear actuators is how they resist a tension load. Most actuators are designed to extend against a load and never are subjected to tension. They’re built to push, not to pull. Some actuators are held together with nothing more than a couple of cap screws. Kinda scary to think about when getting slammed around in rough air.
    Last edited by stewartb; 10-02-2020 at 02:05 PM.
    Thanks Gordon Misch thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what's being used. It looks rugged. This is the first actuator data sheet I've seen where they say it pushes and pulls equally. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...uators+ironton

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that. I found these also claiming equal push/pull capacity. https://www.mcmaster.com/6530k941%2f...voltage~12v-dc

And possibly these, though I haven't verified equal push/pull. https://dcactuators.com/product/6104tp/
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO

Post Thanks / Like
    This will illustrate the pull concern with typical actuators. The anchor plate in this picture is attached with three little machine screws set into a cheap metal casting. Actuators for trim are a great idea. Not all actuators are suitable for the task.

Name:	A44D373F-0CD4-4A3F-9364-85B7D020C7BD.jpeg 
Views:	123 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	51383  

Post Thanks / Like
    My actuator uses 4 stainless steel screws through a milled stainless anchor plate. Not the worst I’ve seen but not the best, either. Ironton turns the assembly 90*. Smart.

Name:	DD758441-626A-4E2E-A1D0-B549D8C8F480.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	51402  
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again. I'm considering this one: https://www.progressiveautomations.c...18277370921027 Anybody have experience with these?
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO

Post Thanks / Like
    Stewart how many hours on the new Lycoming now?
    I’m guessing all is well.
    Dave

YOU NEVER KNOW

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

Thanks for the interest. Zero hours in 2021. My 2020 was clobbered by work and fortunately 2021 has followed suit. Not everyone has that problem and I’m aware of that and appropriately grateful. Sadly 2021 has been dominated by a bad hip and that’s progressed in the last month to 9-1-1 holy crap bad hip. I can’t drive so there’s no way I can fly responsibly. I have an appointment on Monday with a hip surgeon and hopefully he can do an anterior replacement quickly so I can salvage part of summer 2021. Fingers crossed! I’m pretty much out of social media so don’t hold your breath for a status update.
    Last edited by stewartb; 06-12-2021 at 10:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

Thanks for the interest. Zero hours in 2021. My 2020 was clobbered by work and fortunately 2021 has followed suit. Not everyone has that problem and I’m aware of that and appropriately grateful. Sadly 2021 has been dominated by a bad hip and that’s progressed in the last month to 9-1-1 holy crap bad hip. I can’t drive so there’s no way I can fly responsibly. I have an appointment on Monday with a hip surgeon and hopefully he can do an anterior replacement quickly so I can salvage part of summer 2021. Fingers crossed! I’m pretty much out of social media so don’t hold your breath for a status update.
    Sorry to hear about your hip issue. Hope it works out well for you. My 70 yr old brother had a complete hip joint replacement done a month ago. He was down for a couple days then a cane for a couple weeks and the last week is walking very normally (not to far) is driving and overall doing great with no pain. Hopes to be back in normal (careful) operation by August.
    Thanks stewartb thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Best wishes for a speedy and positive outcome on your hip, Stewart
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of
    that comes from bad judgment. will rodgers

"Anyone who would give up liberty for safety deserves neither" Ben Franklin
    Thanks stewartb thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy moly, Stewart. I am indeed sorry to read of your hip woes. Was just going to PM you to stop in for a visit and to see your Cub. That’ll have to wait! Hoping for positive outcome for ya.
    J
    Dave,