• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wildcat Cub

That's definitely interesting. I can tell you that Airframes gear uses the same cabane but the shock struts and gear are extended 3" directly outwards on the front gear leg tube. The front gear leg tube goes from 27" to 30" in length so it's a straight outward/downward extension. Same at Atlee as that's basically what everyone else copied except perhaps TK.

I'm wondering if the reason TK specs a different cabane is for the shocks themselves. When we first tested the ACME shocks the upper attach point was too large to fit into a normal cabane and then they changed the upper eye to be offset to fit standard cabanes. I wonder if TK ran into similar issues and just made their own cabane with the shock attach spaced differently.

....also, with 3, 6, 10 inch extended gear etc, is there a point at which the track is not getting wider? What I mean is this, are the shock struts going to stop having to be made longer and the axle to gear leg angle reduced to compensate for longer and longer legs? Thus resulting in the higher AOA we look for without a ever increasing track width.

Clear as mud?

I didn't measure the width because it wasn't a primary factor in my decision but as gear gets taller I think it needs to get wider to maintain stability. Taxiing in a crosswind comes to mind.

Stewart,
Big boy!
The Husky gear from factory is now extended 4" longer and 2" forward. Of course all gets wider track when extended.
And when one has 35's it all gets to big boy size!
Looks good.
John

Nephew is about to start a Mackey SQ-12 to replace his very nice BCSC SQ-2. This should be fun to watch. His seat height cabin width is approx 6" wider than mine and the airframe length is 9" longer. And I thought my Cub was big! But I have a better baggage area, so at least I have that going for me. :)

The evolution of these airplanes is amazing.

Attachments

• DAA6ACF4-2B28-42DC-B0D7-0FAD393D6A3A.jpg
    DAA6ACF4-2B28-42DC-B0D7-0FAD393D6A3A.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
I don't know if it's called a kit but the airframe is from Wayne Mackey and the wings are by Javron with some adjustments to the standard Cub parts list. No controls or tail feathers arrived. No idea of the plan for those. It's an interesting airframe. It looks well thought out, well built, and very complete. And tough. Probably tougher in the back half than mine is, but at the expense of the huge baggage area and door I have. It's still got a good cargo area. It'll use a linear actuator for trim like mine and the rudder pedals are very similar to mine. It'll be fun to see a few more of these flying.

I don't know if it's called a kit but the airframe is from Wayne Mackey and the wings are by Javron with some adjustments to the standard Cub parts list. No controls or tail feathers arrived. No idea of the plan for those. It's an interesting airframe. It looks well thought out, well built, and very complete. And tough. Probably tougher in the back half than mine is, but at the expense of the huge baggage area and door I have. It's still got a good cargo area. It'll use a linear actuator for trim like mine and the rudder pedals are very similar to mine. It'll be fun to see a few more of these flying.

Very interesting fuselage!!

More pictures please??

Nephew is about to start a Mackey SQ-12 to replace his very nice BCSC SQ-2. This should be fun to watch. His seat height cabin width is approx 6" wider than mine and the airframe length is 9" longer. And I thought my Cub was big! But I have a better baggage area, so at least I have that going for me. :)

The evolution of these airplanes is amazing.

Float fittings, yet no float tube to front wing attach?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Thanks - that particular model is too long, but I see they have a good selection of alternatives. I appreciate the help!

Please refresh my memory as to what you used. Been considering alternatives for the Exp -12 I'm working on. Thanks -

I haven’t found any trace of AEI for a couple of years.

Something to consider with linear actuators is how they resist a tension load. Most actuators are designed to extend against a load and never are subjected to tension. They’re built to push, not to pull. Some actuators are held together with nothing more than a couple of cap screws. Kinda scary to think about when getting slammed around in rough air.

Last edited:
This will illustrate the pull concern with typical actuators. The anchor plate in this picture is attached with three little machine screws set into a cheap metal casting. Actuators for trim are a great idea. Not all actuators are suitable for the task.

Attachments

• A44D373F-0CD4-4A3F-9364-85B7D020C7BD.jpeg
    A44D373F-0CD4-4A3F-9364-85B7D020C7BD.jpeg
    27.3 KB · Views: 191
My actuator uses 4 stainless steel screws through a milled stainless anchor plate. Not the worst I’ve seen but not the best, either. Ironton turns the assembly 90*. Smart.

Attachments

• DD758441-626A-4E2E-A1D0-B549D8C8F480.jpg
    DD758441-626A-4E2E-A1D0-B549D8C8F480.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 205
Dave,

Thanks for the interest. Zero hours in 2021. My 2020 was clobbered by work and fortunately 2021 has followed suit. Not everyone has that problem and I’m aware of that and appropriately grateful. Sadly 2021 has been dominated by a bad hip and that’s progressed in the last month to 9-1-1 holy crap bad hip. I can’t drive so there’s no way I can fly responsibly. I have an appointment on Monday with a hip surgeon and hopefully he can do an anterior replacement quickly so I can salvage part of summer 2021. Fingers crossed! I’m pretty much out of social media so don’t hold your breath for a status update.

Last edited:
Dave,

Thanks for the interest. Zero hours in 2021. My 2020 was clobbered by work and fortunately 2021 has followed suit. Not everyone has that problem and I’m aware of that and appropriately grateful. Sadly 2021 has been dominated by a bad hip and that’s progressed in the last month to 9-1-1 holy crap bad hip. I can’t drive so there’s no way I can fly responsibly. I have an appointment on Monday with a hip surgeon and hopefully he can do an anterior replacement quickly so I can salvage part of summer 2021. Fingers crossed! I’m pretty much out of social media so don’t hold your breath for a status update.
Sorry to hear about your hip issue. Hope it works out well for you. My 70 yr old brother had a complete hip joint replacement done a month ago. He was down for a couple days then a cane for a couple weeks and the last week is walking very normally (not to far) is driving and overall doing great with no pain. Hopes to be back in normal (careful) operation by August.

Holy moly, Stewart. I am indeed sorry to read of your hip woes. Was just going to PM you to stop in for a visit and to see your Cub. That’ll have to wait! Hoping for positive outcome for ya.
J
Dave,

Back