• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wildcat Cub

Stewart
Not looking for specific numbers, but is there any monetary layout to you for the headache? You didnt cause the problem but if you have to eat the pain in the wallet doesnt seem right. Even doing your own work. I watched my friend in a new Maule suffer from a crank ad on a 540 LYC, they gave him a basket full of new parts, but he ended up paying the labor.

Jim

Stewart
Not looking for specific numbers, but is there any monetary layout to you for the headache? You didnt cause the problem but if you have to eat the pain in the wallet doesnt seem right. Even doing your own work. I watched my friend in a new Maule suffer from a crank ad on a 540 LYC, they gave him a basket full of new parts, but he ended up paying the labor.

Jim

compared to the number of hours building it, this will be a walk in the park....hopefully..

Labor and transportation allowances were included. I was treated very fairly. I can't find any reason to be disappointed in Superior's actions.

Last edited:
Labor and transportation allowances were included. I was treated very fairly. I can't find any reason to be disappointed in Superior's actions.

Thats great to hear Stewart, good on Superior, and best of luck to you

Jim

A quick update. I may have been the first Superior customer to be told of the buy-back. If not the first, pretty close to it, so take that timing into consideration. I have received the parts I requested to get back at the cost that Superior promised, which was 50 cents on the dollar. They deducted that cost from the purchase cost plus labor and freight allowances and I signed off on the settlement and got my refund (buy back) check a couple of weeks ago. I know there are guys who are just beginning the settlement process and are uncertain of how to proceed and there's lots of BS on the internet by guys that don't have any skin in the game so no knowledge of the process. From my perspective Superior has done exactly what they promised and I've been made whole, although Lycoming has a cylinder supply shortage so I still don't have an engine. It is what it is. Everyone involved from Superior and Lycoming have been responsive and helpful and they're doing everything they can do. Life goes on.

Stewart,
Hope they get the cylinders soon so you can fly the cub this summer. At least you have the 180, but I am sure you want to work that Wildcat this summer rather than have it collect cobwebs.
Good luck with getting the engine in time for summer.
John

I thought I'd share a cool product I never had reason to know about until now. An NPT to AN flare adaptor with a NPT port for a pressure sender. Who knew? The Wildcat now has a fuel pressure indication on the G3X screen. Fun stuff while I wait for a motor.

IMG_5320.JPG

IMG_5235.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_5320.JPG
    IMG_5320.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 754
  • IMG_5235.JPG
    IMG_5235.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 723
I see Pegasus on the tag. I've found that company to be great for outsize bolts, etc. too. It looks like they have a dealership from Airfasco (makers of certified AN hardware) so they sell the real deal.
That could be a useful fitting!

Sadly, no. Still waiting on a motor. My acknowledgement’s April ship date is now July-August-September. I’m sure Lycoming would rather send me an invoice than a sorry letter but so far no joy. Thanks for asking, though. I do work on it occasionally. And sit in it. Fortunately I have my 180 to fly and truth be told, very little time to do that. All’s good.

Last edited:
It took longer than expected but the new motor has arrived and it's a thing of beauty. I'll swap the sump with Superior's. I might paint it to match what Lycoming did. This one should be plus about 15 hp from the 400. That can't hurt. Merry Christmas to me!

IMG_0689.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0689.JPG
    IMG_0689.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 423
Stewart,
Nice, finally got it and you will be ready for spring flying in Alaska.
Will be a hot rod for sure.
John

If it performs as the other ones, especially the one in a few videos that’s yellow with black stripes on tail, It’s gonna be a killer!

Red was on the color menu, Dave. I thought about you when I saw that. Not that it was ever a consideration but I did get a chuckle out of it.

My firewall forward is built to fit the Superior engine. Hopefully refitting this IO-390 will be mostly painless. I'm sure there will be a few bumps in the road. Hopefully small ones. I'm confident enough in the refit that I'm having Carbon Concepts duplicate the fiberglass nose bowl with a carbon fiber replacement. I had the option to alter the oil coolers but after 14+ months of AOG I just want to get it flying and with increased compression this motor should make more heat so changing oil cooling isn't a priority right now. A friend told me an experimental airplane is never finished. Wise words!

Initially I’ll use the same Pmags the plane is already fitted for. Superior sold them back to me at 50 cents on the dollar. I’m hoping to make this installation as painless as possible. Labor wise, that is. The money part worked out nicely. When all the dust settles the new motor change out total investment is about $1K less than my original investment.

It’s an adventure I look forward to!

We could move to a a 13 row cooler on the firewall and figure a way to feed it air. Randy would probably be game to make another cowl. I figure that’s a project for next year. :)

Hmm. My latest experience with crazy expensive airplane parts. My new engine requires two special barrel nuts for the front baffles. Wow!

IMG_0184.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0184.JPG
    IMG_0184.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_0185.JPG
    IMG_0185.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 263
Lycoming drills the heads from front and bottom for the front baffle attachment. I'd never seen it before. These barrel nuts would be simple to make them if I had time. I found cheaper sources but shipping charges make Spruce cheaper. Crazy.

I do appreciate having Spruce so close to home!

Image.jpeg

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 260
I'd never seen them before either... this why they got tapped and a $0.24 screw in them before.....

hopefully you didn't order from spruce up here if it was not in stock, might be 6 weeks till they get it and charge you for shipping each package, plus they mark up the price to begin with.....

Back