Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Building a Scratch Built Cub

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those look better than pipers original ones.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good, as always John! Keep up the great work.
    Joe

Thanks stknrddr thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Nicely done John ...... see you at Airventure.
    Marty
    N367PS
    Psalm 36:7 "High and low among men find refuge in the shadow of His wing"
    www.marty2plus2.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thinking about Airventure, can we get a tour of the shop? yes we know it is a busy week for you.
    Likes stknrddr liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello John

Your work is awesome, really getting exited to see the possibilities.

Im thinking of starting a scratch build project my self, but dont really know how or where to start, I see you have some print out patterns, did those come out of some instructions ? or where can I find those templates ?
    Also curious do you have a list of materials available as to buy all the tubing in bulk ?
    Really hope you can help me out to get started.
    Best regards

Chrsitian
    Quote Originally Posted by stknrddr View Post
    Lunch Time Aviation presents a builder's update: It's lunch time, so I thought I'd take a little time to provide my project update. Continuing with the Torque Tube assemblies, I have attached photos of the torque tube bearing mounts. I typically draw any flat steel parts on paper, then glue (spray adhesive) the paper template to the sheet, than cut out the part. Here I used a portable hydraulic punch I borrowed from work. I got lucky that the large hole I needed to punch was the same diameter as one of the punch and die sets we had. Electricians use these punches to punch holes in electrical panels. After punching, and cutting the part out using a cut off wheel or a sheet metal shear if applicable, we bent up the flanges, and assembled. In order to cut out the curved lines to fit to the bearing tube, I drilled a series of small holes just outside the line, then wiggled the scrap part away from the good part, followed by using the bench top grinder to smooth out the steel to the shape of the curved line. We fixture up the parts welded. My project partner has been doing the welding while I typically fabricate many of the parts and the fixtures. It works out well for us. We're building two cubs, so our combined interests works out well for both of us.

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate with those sectional things?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful job, great workmanship. Please keep the updates coming, I always enjoy seeing a projects progress. Thanks for sharing.
    Likes Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    “Also curious do you have a list of materials available as to buy all the tubing in bulk ?
    Really hope you can help me out to get started.”

Hello Christian,
    Thank you for the positive comments about my project. My friend Charlie and I are each scratch building two Super Cubs, and are sharing our skills for these projects. I really enjoy the scratch building process, however it does take considerable time, especially when we work on our projects infrequently.
    We are primarily using the original Super Cub drawings by Piper. We are using the Northland cd of drawings, and we also often reference Christian Storms helpful website Supercubproject.com to look up drawings. I want to credit Christian Sturms site where he fabricated the control sticks and torque tube, which helped me so much when building our assemblies.
    Regarding a list of tubing, I may still have a list, and I will look for it. We simply referenced the drawings, and created a list of tubing we needed, then ordered it. For a realativeyl small cost, a person can work for quit a while fabricating a fuselage and gear legs.
    if I were to make another, I would buy tail surfaces at AirVenture in the AeroMart tent (used parts) instead of fabricating these as there is always a supply of good pieces, at reasonable prices.
    Regarding my drawings I use for templates, I do have a file, however I lost the availability of AutoCAD software, so I’ve been lacking the capability to manage the files. I have been wanting to find a free source to use my files, and I have this on my list to do.
    I am currently away from home for a few days, which will delay me in looking through my files.

I hope this helps,
    john

Post Thanks / Like
    John

Thank you for the reply, any help is great, I am far far away , ( in mexico ) so I am pretty much on my own except for this forum. so this is why we really want to make sure we get a correct list of parts going because any mistake can cost us a lot of time and expense to get missing or wrong parts down here.

Regards

Christian

Quote Originally Posted by stknrddr View Post
    “Also curious do you have a list of materials available as to buy all the tubing in bulk ?
    Really hope you can help me out to get started.”

Hello Christian,
    Thank you for the positive comments about my project. My friend Charlie and I are each scratch building two Super Cubs, and are sharing our skills for these projects. I really enjoy the scratch building process, however it does take considerable time, especially when we work on our projects infrequently.
    We are primarily using the original Super Cub drawings by Piper. We are using the Northland cd of drawings, and we also often reference Christian Storms helpful website Supercubproject.com to look up drawings. I want to credit Christian Sturms site where he fabricated the control sticks and torque tube, which helped me so much when building our assemblies.
    Regarding a list of tubing, I may still have a list, and I will look for it. We simply referenced the drawings, and created a list of tubing we needed, then ordered it. For a realativeyl small cost, a person can work for quit a while fabricating a fuselage and gear legs.
    if I were to make another, I would buy tail surfaces at AirVenture in the AeroMart tent (used parts) instead of fabricating these as there is always a supply of good pieces, at reasonable prices.
    Regarding my drawings I use for templates, I do have a file, however I lost the availability of AutoCAD software, so I’ve been lacking the capability to manage the files. I have been wanting to find a free source to use my files, and I have this on my list to do.
    I am currently away from home for a few days, which will delay me in looking through my files.

I hope this helps,
    john

Post Thanks / Like
    John,
    Working with a partner makes a lot of sense to me now. Another set of eyes and functional brain would have kept me from making some mistakes. You are absolutely right on the pile of raw materials thing. It will keep a guy busy for a long time cheaply if you enjoy the process. If you make an irreversible mistake, it goes in the trash a lot less painfully than wrecking a kit part. Your work is incredible by the way, keep the pictures coming.
    Christian,
    I started with the aluminum wings. Spars, drag wires, drag wire nipples, and hardware you will likely buy. Everything else is sheet stock and time. The hardest thing for me is the hardware, but that is my own fault. There is a pile of it. Rarely a local source for aircraft stuff. You pause a lot waiting for the right length bolts, rivets, washers, and nuts to come in the mail. If a guy changes nothing, wing hardware is a breeze, order it from a list created from members and available on this forum. Scratch building can be done, just not in a hurry.
    Thanks,
    Jim