• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Stratus / GDL 39 real world Idaho

geoaspen

Snowmass Vlg CO
It's been some time since we have heard from those of you trying the ADS B/Weather/FAA info units. Any reports on actual coverage and use in the Utah-Idaho-Colorado areas? Any regrets changing over from XM products? I am particularly interested in connection to my Garmin 796, and Ipod mini running Garmin pilot.

It's been some time since we have heard from those of you trying the ADS B/Weather/FAA info units. Any reports on actual coverage and use in the Utah-Idaho-Colorado areas? Any regrets changing over from XM products? I am particularly interested in connection to my Garmin 796, and Ipod mini running Garmin pilot.
Was in Idaho late last summer and you had to be pretty high in the mountains to receive any weather coverage from JC to the East and South. Same in Wyoming and Montana. I had XM also and kept switching the weather provider as a test, XM never let me down.

Last edited:
Apparently lots guys get wx info on their tablet / cellphone apps via wireless internet (which uses cell towers).
How's that working, esp away from towns in rural / backcountry areas?

The other issue I'm not real happy with is the limited Wx data view you get via ADS-B. It's just ok in th cub but is difficult to use without a large view for large scale view for tactical weather avoidance. Three years ago, coming back from South Florida to Oklahoma (using XM in my 180) I had to go WAY around a system in the South (remember the old song line, I went to LA by Omaha, well I talked to Saint Louis Approach on that trip) which put an extra hour on an otherwise no-go get stuck for days trip.

In reality it was easy to watch they system develop and move and with a 140knot airplane and a good data I ran ahead and around it (prepared to stop and stay somewhere new if need be) but I always stayed in good conditions but with ADSB I would have never seen the pattern with its data-range restriction.

Apparently lots guys get wx info on their tablet / cellphone apps via wireless internet (which uses cell towers).
How's that working, esp away from towns in rural / backcountry areas?

I used this method exclusively the last couple summers. I'm not sure it's better or worse than ADS-B weather, but it sure isn't even a tenth as good as XM Weather.

Two problems:

1. You have to be below about 3000 agl, I'm told, to receive data over the cellular network. That has to do with pinging multiple towers, I'm told. Someone who understands this better can explain, but suffice to say, if you're too high, you lose cellular provided weather.
2. Obviously, you have to have at least one cell tower in "view" to receive any weather. I found that going east from the Rockies, this was pretty easy, and for the most part, all the way to OSH I had coverage. In the mountains, forget it, unless you're within sight of civilization of some sort.

When you're using this system, you're looking at (in my case) Foreflight, so you receive the standard view there, unlike what Kirby is talking about with ADS-B....limited weather data to your vicinity.

XM Weather is still the gold standard, unless you live in the flat lands. And, even there, XM is still king, in my opinion.

As Kirby says, with XM, you can look at ALL the weather, and think strategically about whether it's practical to go around weather or if you'd be better off sitting it out somewhere.

I really miss my old Garmin 396 and it's XM receiver.

MTV

Back