Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mini-tablet GPS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supercub1999 View Post
    Best Buy has that droid pad on sale now for 79$, not sure if thay have a 30 day better deal thing but you might be able to get 20 bucks back. How's the dPad working?
    Thanks for the tip on the lowered price. Checked into it & it turns out you have to ask for the lowered price within the return period- 15 days in this case. So I lost out by a week or two. I see thee's a couple smaller 7" tablets at around $50. These might work better if panel space was limited, but the one I looked at (Amazon Fire) didn't seem to be GPS-enabled so a separate gizmo would be required. Luckily my C180 had a spot available in the middle of the panel sized just right for the 8" tablet.

The droid tablet's working great. The free Avare app works great for navigation, looking at sectionals, AFD, etc but the weather radar kinda sucks. I found a free app, MyRadar, which gives real time (within about 5 minutes) radar images in an hour's loop display. Took my home hotspot along in the plane a couple times, that worked pretty good for current wx radar enroute plus updating metars for the destination airport. It did fail to lock onto the internet a couple times, but was pretty low (1000' agl) over a pretty rural timbered area so not many cell towers. Up higher probably woulda worked better, and around well-celled areas it seems to work fine.

Like any gizmo, esp a new one, you have to fight the tendency to put your head down to play with it instead of looking out the window.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Update, one year later.... the Insignia tablet's GPS receiver seemed to be substandard, took forever to get satellite lock & then would often lose it in flight. So I returned it and got a $200 8" Samsung "Galaxy Tab A", which boots up quicker & overall seems to work much better. I find that I use it when out and about to check email, etc, as well as for navigational duties. Even took it along on vacation over the holidays. Still using Avare, comparing it to friend's Foreflight app I do see a couple features where it's not as easy to use, but overall I'm still pretty happy with it. And you can't beat free!
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Still using my Nexus 7 (Android) with topo maps. The GPS is very good, even though the antenna is somewhat blocked by the edge of the glare shield. Hooked up to a USB charger in the cigarette-lighter socket, it's always charged. Attached to the panel with Velcro, I can take it into the cabin to use with my InReach.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm finally the owner of a Supercub. N121WP is arriving tomorrow. I sold my Tripacer. Used iPad and iPhone versions of iFly GPS. Great program, always up to date, especially with TFR's for President Bone Spurs golf weekends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InVFIv0Uq2Q
    Likes cubnut liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by leecasssiie View Post
    You can find similar products at this shopping
    Here is a link I would not touch.
    Last edited by CharlieN; 11-14-2019 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Deleted spam link from the quoted content

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieN View Post
    Here is a link I would not touch.
    The post you referenced has been deleted as Spam.
    Lou

Post Thanks / Like
    More Spam

Post Thanks / Like
    Spam deleted.