• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

mini-tablet GPS

Deetz,
I have never had any problem adjusting the attitude display from the Stratus to my Ipad inflight.

Am only familiar with Foreflight's Stratus system I use it with an Iphone 6+ as the primary nav tool, and with an Ipad Mini as a moving map backup. For the Ipad you either have to upgrade to a cell phone model or get the Stratus gps receiver. The Iphone works independent of the stratus but lacks some of the functionality foreflight lends to the Ipad. I opted for the Stratus II model with the ADSB available in limited areas.
The Stratus II gives a very effective AH display on the Ipad, but not the Iphone. Limitations in a tailwheel are that the stratus needs to be synced before you start moving, and will therefore show level flight in the 3 point attitude. reregistering in flight has been a hit or miss effort.
I liked the idea of having a fallback attitude indicator as the J5 is strictly VFR, and if I did get caught out, I would really like a gps with attitude superimposed on it to get down or up out of trouble.

deetz, sounds like good stuff if the attitude reference is solid, I thought about getting an attitude backup but than started using my turn coordinator for bank and remembered the partial panel flying I practiced a lot years ago, and found out how accurate you can fly partial panel, that turn coordinator works real well for bank, and pitch is airspeed.. after a few minutes practice I saw no reason for an emergency attitude reference.

Last edited:
Just ordered one up-- 16GB 8" tablet, new, for $100.
Tough to beat that.
Thanks for the tip.

Got the tablet the end of last week, have it attached to the center panel via a ledge mount + Velcro.
Downloaded the free Avare app, I like it so far. I've only flown about 3 short trips with it so far, but have screwed around with it on the ground a bit also. There's a learning curve involved, esp since this is my first touch screen device plus I'm not a big tech guy, but I'm already getting the hang of it pretty well.
I also downloaded the free FltPlanGo app a guy I know uses, haven't looked at it too much but from the little bit I did I prefer the Avare.

Got the tablet the end of last week, have it attached to the center panel via a ledge mount + Velcro.
Downloaded the free Avare app, I like it so far. I've only flown about 3 short trips with it so far, but have screwed around with it on the ground a bit also. There's a learning curve involved, esp since this is my first touch screen device plus I'm not a big tech guy, but I'm already getting the hang of it pretty well.
I also downloaded the free FltPlanGo app a guy I know uses, haven't looked at it too much but from the little bit I did I prefer the Avare.

Best Buy has that droid pad on sale now for 79$, not sure if thay have a 30 day better deal thing but you might be able to get 20 bucks back. How's the dPad working?

Not that this will help anyone, but ....

I'm using an Android tablet (Nexus 7), with a program called OziExplorer. I have topo maps as well as VNC's (Sectionals) installed. I prefer the topos for the speed at which I fly as they provide much more terrain detail. Besides, it makes it look as if I'm going MUCH faster!:)

I also have my old Garmin 76C running as back-up, with the tablet on 'moving map' and the Garmin pointing the way to destination.

Last edited:
Why no reference to Air Navigation Pro? I bought the app early on for $40 and later Foreflight. With both on my iPad mini, ANP map detail is preferable in skizzy going.

I am wanting to get a different 'plane specific' tablet also. Reading this thread, and already being an Android with happy Avare user, I am giong to get a 7" or an 8". I agree with hotrod180 and am thinking the 8"might be the way to go. I've been using my old Galazy 10.1 but rarely carry it on the plane anymore since it just seems too bulky, ie. takes up too much space where space is limited.

Doubt I will buy one with cellular capabilities since I am one that does not do contract phones. Traveled all over the country with my Moto-G using Net-10 service and have been very happy with it.
Not sure if there is a way to use the Net-10 service on my tablet without paying for another number/line.

I am not very tablet/computer savy What do you guys recommend for size? Is the 8GB sufficient? Or is a 16GB or larger needed?

Best Buy has that droid pad on sale now for 79$, not sure if thay have a 30 day better deal thing but you might be able to get 20 bucks back. How's the dPad working?

Thanks for the tip on the lowered price. Checked into it & it turns out you have to ask for the lowered price within the return period- 15 days in this case. So I lost out by a week or two. I see thee's a couple smaller 7" tablets at around $50. These might work better if panel space was limited, but the one I looked at (Amazon Fire) didn't seem to be GPS-enabled so a separate gizmo would be required. Luckily my C180 had a spot available in the middle of the panel sized just right for the 8" tablet.

The droid tablet's working great. The free Avare app works great for navigation, looking at sectionals, AFD, etc but the weather radar kinda sucks. I found a free app, MyRadar, which gives real time (within about 5 minutes) radar images in an hour's loop display. Took my home hotspot along in the plane a couple times, that worked pretty good for current wx radar enroute plus updating metars for the destination airport. It did fail to lock onto the internet a couple times, but was pretty low (1000' agl) over a pretty rural timbered area so not many cell towers. Up higher probably woulda worked better, and around well-celled areas it seems to work fine.

Like any gizmo, esp a new one, you have to fight the tendency to put your head down to play with it instead of looking out the window.

Update, one year later.... the Insignia tablet's GPS receiver seemed to be substandard, took forever to get satellite lock & then would often lose it in flight. So I returned it and got a $200 8" Samsung "Galaxy Tab A", which boots up quicker & overall seems to work much better. I find that I use it when out and about to check email, etc, as well as for navigational duties. Even took it along on vacation over the holidays. Still using Avare, comparing it to friend's Foreflight app I do see a couple features where it's not as easy to use, but overall I'm still pretty happy with it. And you can't beat free!

Still using my Nexus 7 (Android) with topo maps. The GPS is very good, even though the antenna is somewhat blocked by the edge of the glare shield. Hooked up to a USB charger in the cigarette-lighter socket, it's always charged. Attached to the panel with Velcro, I can take it into the cabin to use with my InReach.

Back