• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Welcome to All Things Electrical!

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Folks we have a lot of posts about avionics, wiring, and the like and it was suggested that we have a special section for this kind of stuff. I am going to work to move some of the obvious posts in there, if you see ones that need to be moved, let me know!

wireweenie has agreed to help moderate this area and provide some organization of the topics.

Thanks!

sj

First off, many thanks to SJ for ridin' herd on the rest of us. Day in and day out, you've done a great job making sure the information is getting out here and making us mind our manners.

Two areas that seem to be very popular are air frame systems and specific avionics information. Air frame systems, like charging systems, starters, lights, etc., seem to bring lots of questions about troubleshooting and repairs/mods. The avionics questions seem to center around information on capabilities and, occasionally legalities.

So throw out some questions, because, you all know that on this website, for every one of us that doesn't know the answer, there are at least two more members that do.

Web

I'm looking forward to this area of the SC site and to Wireweinie Web helping us solve some of these vexing problems. I just ordered am Appareo Stratus ESG ADS-B Transponder. They start delivering this unit for experimental planes next month but the TSOd ones start shipping in April -- that is what I will be getting. I'm sure my questions and those of others facing the mandate for ADS-B Out in 4 years will lead to a lot of questions. I operate in the Twin Cities metro area so I am looking forward to the traffic information I will get. Many of us are going to be going down this path in the next few years so the Electrical thread and Web's advice will be very welcome.

Thanks Darrel. My first A&P job was at Anoka County Airport, so I'm familiar with how crowded the metro area can be. And how MAC can be when every thing isn't just so. Looking forward to hearing your experience with the Stratus.

Web

Ok, first question. Is a current bush AC or DC? I think its positive ground because I tried to pull one out one day and couldn't.

Glenn

Ive got a serious question for you Wireweinie,, Would it be easier, and stealthier (remote) to make an industrial strength shocker to be used on Tim,,, or just go ahead and use a Cattle Prod?

Ive got a serious question for you Wireweinie,, Would it be easier, and stealthier (remote) to make an industrial strength shocker to be used on Tim,,, or just go ahead and use a Cattle Prod?

If you're in cattle and hog country, that cattle prod just blends in with the surroundings. If you head to the big city, you might want to make something that you can hide. Like inside a beer can?

Web

Looking for input on cleaning up my panel! Any help/suggestions are appreciated.
My first post. I have just purchased my PA-12 and am looking for suggestions on the upgrading of Radio and Transponder. I am thinking with ADS-B requirements that since I will need a new transponder I might as well upgrade the radio at the same time. L3 Lynx looks like an amazing way to get all of the information in one unit so I wont have to use an Ipad or other parts. IMG_20170107_071601724.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170107_071601724.jpg
    IMG_20170107_071601724.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 186
Looking for input on cleaning up my panel! Any help/suggestions are appreciated.
My first post. I have just purchased my PA-12 and am looking for suggestions on the upgrading of Radio and Transponder. I am thinking with ADS-B requirements that since I will need a new transponder I might as well upgrade the radio at the same time. L3 Lynx looks like an amazing way to get all of the information in one unit so I wont have to use an Ipad or other parts. View attachment 30067

If everything works now just go fly your new plane as is for 6 months. Spending $ on fuel now will help you learn what needs upgrading to meet your needs.

When you do decide to change the panel, start by doing LOTS of planning. Remember that no matter what advice you get, the finished panel needs to make you (and only you) happy. After all, you'll be looking at it every time you climb in.

I always favor round radios and the smaller 2 1/4" gauges. They take up less room and have the same wiring/plumbing as the old style stuff. Places like Electronics International and Wings and Wheels are a good source for these. As for the ADS-B, are you going to be required to install it? Or is this something that you 'might' need? If you are dead set on installing it, check out Sandia, Appereo, Garmin, and L3, for the 'all in one' ADS-B systems. If you think that you only might need it, you have the option of installing something like the Trig TT-22 transponder, which can be interconnected with other components, at a later date, to make up the ADS-B system. Round avionics take up less room, weigh less, and don't need a tray installed.

If you have any switches or breakers still up on the overhead panel, you might want to think about moving them down to the instrument panel and away from your fuel tank. And maybe add a master solenoid to the battery tray.

Others have different views so get all the advice and make your own final decision (Grandma was right!). And if you need help just ask.

Web

I'm a little way off from wiring but setting up mount points etc. What standard do we use for a complete rewire of a certified super cub regarding location of electrical items in particular if they're not in the original location? For example, under seat battery mount is STC'd, I want to put the master and battery solenoid under there also. Would like to move all switches and breakers to the panel, headphone jacks to the wing root etc. Are these things just a minor with IA sign off or is there a standard to follow? I have a wiring schematic from Darrel Starr that he was good enough to send to use as a starting point.
Also, do all electrical components or supplies need to carry a PMA or STC, for example bat switches or circuit breakers, bus bars?

I'm a little way off from wiring but setting up mount points etc. What standard do we use for a complete rewire of a certified super cub regarding location of electrical items in particular if they're not in the original location? For example, under seat battery mount is STC'd, I want to put the master and battery solenoid under there also. Would like to move all switches and breakers to the panel, headphone jacks to the wing root etc. Are these things just a minor with IA sign off or is there a standard to follow? I have a wiring schematic from Darrel Starr that he was good enough to send to use as a starting point.
Also, do all electrical components or supplies need to carry a PMA or STC, for example bat switches or circuit breakers, bus bars?

Any minor mod does not require an IA signature. Just a log book entry. Only items requiring a 337 need an IA signature. The stuff you are talking about doing is just minors. The only reason the under seat battery tray is an STC, is that was the easiest way to get production permission from the feds. Simply moving an item is not a major modification. Switches and breakers do not have PMA's or STC's on them. In the electrical world they are the 'hardware' items. I do advocate for the aircraft solenoids though. I've just had better luck with them in regards to longevity. If you are worried about switches, you can always stay with mil-spec toggles. I use major brand toggles and breakers and have had great results. Potter Brumfeld (Tyco) W23 and W31 series and Klixon 7277-2-* series breakers and C&K and Eaton switches (easy there Steve). Bus bars are just strips of copper (preferred) or aluminum drilled to fit your breaker arrangement.
Do your complete wiring diagrams before you start stringing the wires. Darrel's diagrams are a great starting point. If you have questions, just look at the diagrams for an airplane with equipment already installed. I do things a little unique occasionally but that's because I've been doing this for years and 99% of the time it's based on a factory design.

Web

Are there any latest options for an outside recepticle for either power or a jump start, Experimental.

I carry an Antgravity XP-1 microstart in my FX-3. I installed the AG-MSA-10TP clampless starting harness directly to the battery terminals and routed it so I can connect and disconnect the jump pack while strapped in the seat.

I have never needed the jump pack in the airplane but I did use a couple of times on the car.

Back