• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Building an Experimental PA11

The airplane which had the eye bolt issue to which I was made aware of was a Cub Crafter airplane. I do not know how Jay does this.

The flexibility is in the pivot which is allowed by the bolt which passes though the clamp thus acting like a hinge. When that "hinge" is removed, something else has to absorb the flexing. It is the bolt that allows the flex, not the clamp.

Picture that long strut vibrating. When the lower half moves down the upper half is moving up and vice versa. The jury strut attachment divides those two halves. Thus the bolt which holds the jury strut to the clamp acts as a hinge. When that hinge is rendered inoperable that flexing has to be absorbed elsewhere.

Your fitting to the spar looks like a couple of AN3s. Certainly adequate. It's the eye bolt in the strut which is my concern.

If you wish to use an eye bolt in this location, use some other attachment to connect the jury strut to the eye bolt which will allow the flexing (hinging).

Another thought to consider is that this destructive vibration failure could be caused by the engine/propeller transmitting a resonance through the airframe with the result making an appearance at this eye bolt. The airplane of which I was made aware of had had two failures of the same eyebolt. The opposite side had not failed.

Perhaps a different engine/propeller combination would not create this issue?

I've seen some strange vibration things happen with different power settings, smooth air or not, different air speeds etc. Too many to recall here.

The profile cannot be seen well in the picture...the inner view shows thicker “flats” in the center area and the extrusions themselves are substantial. I believe the tensile strength of these extrusions exceeds that of a steel strut...
I see the increased wall thickness in the "flats" now. It is not the tensile strength of the struts which I addressed. It is the bearing strength of the bolt holes. The ability of the strut to withstand the crushing load of each bolt on the edges of it's hole. Now that I see the thicker flats, that may not be an issue.

Pete,
The way Dan has drilled his holes, is quite different than how Jay engineering is. Here is a picture of Jay's.
On the eye bolt issue, Tom F had let me know about the CC eyebolts failing so that is true however CC's eyebolts are made just opposite of Jay's. The CC eyebolts have the threaded connection starting right behind the eye shoulder, they are breaking there. Jay's are made with the eye and 75%of the shaft all milled interagal, the foot part
Has the threads on it ahead of a shoulder that meets the top part so you CAN not over tighten the bolt and crush the strut. We always had problems with the Piper bands moving when hauling lots of moosehorns, lots of guys wrapped black tape on struts then reinstalled the bands trying to get them to stay put! This eyebolt thing is same as the Champ set up basically? Your comments on here are always informative!
EIMG_20210317_181256298.jpg
Below is picture of the CC eyebolts design that have failed.1616157449243~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210317_181256298.jpg
    IMG_20210317_181256298.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 1616157449243~2.jpg
    1616157449243~2.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
E, Your Jay picture also has two more bolts, reducing the load per bolt. You are correct on the thread location of the eye bolt. Not only on the crush of the strut but the crack inducing location of the top thread. Right where the loads are concentrated. Perhaps the "Jay" eye bolts will outlive the Cub Crafters bolts. It was Tom's customer who consulted with me on the issue.

Well when the smoke all clears, it seams like Jay's stuff most of the time falls into the ' build a better mouse trap' stuff. I think he looks at how everyone else has done it and simply says " this is how I would build that".
I will keep you posted how mine hold up. They sure seam
Solid and Stout........ And are most certainly way ahead of
60 year old ones with 7/16 forks!!!��IMG_20210317_180533943.jpgIMG_20210317_180554530.jpgIMG_20210317_180544097.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210317_180533943.jpg
    IMG_20210317_180533943.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20210317_180554530.jpg
    IMG_20210317_180554530.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20210317_180544097.jpg
    IMG_20210317_180544097.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Here is Jay's.....Screenshot_20210319-101349~2.pngScreenshot_20210319-101349.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210319-101349~2.png
    Screenshot_20210319-101349~2.png
    137.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot_20210319-101349.png
    Screenshot_20210319-101349.png
    225.9 KB · Views: 109
I can't seem to post the picture of the failed fitting. It was at the end next to the eye. The threads go all the way to the eye end.

Cub Crafters was having an issue of breaking strut attach fittings at the wing spar and then they started shearing the rivets of the beefed up fittings. Some think it is from people pushing and pulling on the struts.

Cub Crafters was having an issue of breaking strut attach fittings at the wing spar and then they started shearing the rivets of the beefed up fittings. Some think it is from people pushing and pulling on the struts.
Steve, Based upon the information which was given me, It was not from people pushing and pulling on the struts.

I don’t know about all of this... I’m taking notes. I do know that I talked to Jay first and he said his struts were big time over kill for my 11...his are rated at 2400 lbs gross...I’m 1320, so it would make sense that mine would be less beefy. Until I held these parts in my hand, and built the struts...I had little tiny questions in my mind....now that I’ve handled them.... they are very structurally sound...the material is substantial and if pull out those AN 4 bolts somehow in flight...it would mean something significant happened. I believe these are much stronger than the struts on my J3...I’m not sure what I’m going to do with the jury struts yet....I still need faileads as well. This is a great discussion and I’m following with great interest.

I don’t know about all of this... I’m taking notes. I do know that I talked to Jay first and he said his struts were big time over kill for my 11...his are rated at 2400 lbs gross...I’m 1320, so it would make sense that mine would be less beefy. Until I held these parts in my hand, and built the struts...I had little tiny questions in my mind....now that I’ve handled them.... they are very structurally sound...the material is substantial and if pull out those AN 4 bolts somehow in flight...it would mean something significant happened. I believe these are much stronger than the struts on my J3...I’m not sure what I’m going to do with the jury struts yet....I still need faileads as well. This is a great discussion and I’m following with great interest.

I am at 1310lbs GW too and run the Univair J3 struts on my little bird. Any idea of the weight savings between the stock J3 and your new aluminum units?

Are these the guys that did those struts? southernaero DOT net/ (I can't seem to post the actual URL for some reason)

I’ll weigh them....yes, southern aero out of GA. My guess is equal or a pound or two more than J3 struts....they are the same profile (size) as stock Supercub struts.

I too would (and do) run the Univair J3 struts. I haven't yet but I need to pull mine and weigh them against the Airframes Aluminum struts. There's probably weight to be saved with AF aluminum struts over J3 struts but I doubt any saved with the Javron struts as they are very heavy duty and therefore heavier to work with a 2300lb gross weight. Just from my calibrated arm scale it feels like the AF aluminum struts are going to be lighter for the rear strut (vs J3 steel struts) and probably about a wash weight wise for the front strut.

You've already bought the struts though and they look like pretty good units. I'd say just run them and don't fret too hard over ounces or hearsay jury strut issues. Those big old struts aren't working very hard to keep the wings on a 1320lb plane.

These were a little less than half the cost of airframes struts and several hundred less than Univair....I had to build them up from the parts.. yes, but I enjoy that part. He sent them with AN eye bolts and sleeves to go inside...is anyone thinking the stresses will actually break the AN eye bolt ? Or are you thinking the sleeve will attempt to pull out? I’m thinking with my set up I’m good...I’ll keep an eye on it. This is the best forum on the internet by far. I’ll keep the updates coming, and you guys keep seeing me in the right direction.

Dan I think Crash is right you still have plenty of strut for an 11! Just get some eyebolts from Jay, and his fairleads
(Also nicely done) and I think your " golden".....
Good luck on a nice looking Project, your doing a dam good job.
E

Dan

Your stock J3 rear strut has less than .150 square inch in cross section (rolled from a 1 1/2" x .035 mild steel tube) and the 6061 aluminum cross section of the rear is .440 sq. in. The stock front J3 strut was rolled from a 2 1/8" x .035 steel tube with less than .150 sq. in. in cross section. Your fronts are 6061 with .772 in cross section. There are plenty of engineer types on here that can put numbers to that.

Crash, you're pretty much right on the weights. Actually could have run the same size smaller strut in the front and rear but would not have gained much in strength.

Last edited:
I noticed most Cubs have 2 big cable fairleads, and 1 small one on each front lift strut...is this necessary to eliminate cable vibration? Or, can a fella get away with 2 big ones spaced (one between the jury and fuselage, the other between jury and outboard end?

I noticed most Cubs have 2 big cable fairleads, and 1 small one on each front lift strut...is this necessary to eliminate cable vibration? Or, can a fella get away with 2 big ones spaced (one between the jury and fuselage, the other between jury and outboard end?

You're going to end up with one fairlead in roughly the middle of the strut on the jury strut clamp so it would be wise just to do the normal 3 per side. Do your current strut clamps have the fairlead welded in?

*edit* Duh, I should have read your last post. Good job going with the correct and original locations. The cable already moves around quite a bit with 3 fairleads so I'd hate to see what it does with only 2.

As an aside, does anyone have the drawings for the original J-3 struts? I'm looking for a cross section drawing of front and rear to calculate some stuff related to aluminum struts.

Crash

I have them as .tif files so couldn't upload here but tried to convert them. They were rolled from round tubes to these dimensions and prints don't show original sizes. Cross sectional values aren't shown but shows weights so you can convert from there, I made a mistake at #230 and duplicated the rear strut value of .150 sq. in. for the front strut .............. shudda been .234 sq. in.

Will send you original .tif files if you would like. Can make out a LITTLE better in originals

10099.png10097.png

Attachments

• 10099.png
    10099.png
    407 KB · Views: 111
  • 10097.png
    10097.png
    709 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Crash

I have them as .tif files so couldn't upload here but tried to convert them. They were rolled from round tubes to these dimensions and prints don't show original sizes. Cross sectional values aren't shown but shows weights so you can convert from there, I made a mistake at #230 and duplicated the rear strut value of .150 sq. in. for the front strut .............. shudda been .234 sq. in.

Will send you original .tif files if you would like. Can make out a LITTLE better in originals
Aren't those the same as on Christian Sturm's website? They come out pretty well:

http://www.supercubproject.com/drawings/pdfs/A3290445.pdf

http://www.supercubproject.com/drawings/pdfs/A3310004.pdf

Perfect! Thanks for finding those for me. I've been idly curious if the rear PA-18 aluminum struts are equal in strength to the J3 front struts so that rear struts could be used both front and rear on a J3 and save quite a bit of weight. Now to do some maths and figure this thing out. Thanks again!

Brakes are juiced, fuel flow test done, had to improvise a little to get the 15 degree angle required. I’m ready to Fire it up after my oil pressure line arrives tomorrow. 1F8C6822-121B-496D-81C8-102E6A4F368B.jpg

Attachments

• 1F8C6822-121B-496D-81C8-102E6A4F368B.jpg
    1F8C6822-121B-496D-81C8-102E6A4F368B.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 122
Back