• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Building an Experimental PA11

2D5CDD3F-C058-4D61-983C-EB71CA7B3204.jpg
here is the only option on the engine side...it’s probably not a bad spot...lots of airflow in that spot...I could also rotate it 90 degrees to allow easier access and easier removal.

Attachments

• 2D5CDD3F-C058-4D61-983C-EB71CA7B3204.jpg
    2D5CDD3F-C058-4D61-983C-EB71CA7B3204.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 125
Have you considered mounting it between the kick panel and boot cowl? Left or right side. I wouldn't want it mounted right over the cabin heat valve as in the pic you showed.

Web

stcs_ag_0034.jpg
pretty cool(in more ways than one)

Last edited:
Dan
The scat hose off the cabin heat can get well over 200 degrees. Local guys ran one to the rear under the pilots seat. They had a bag of shells on the floor while wolf hunting. When they got back they found several of the shells plastic melted from the heat. You might get by with some insulation but now it will be hard to divert for defrost. DENNY

If you’ve ever seen a lithium battery cook off, you wouldn’t want it in the cabin! I know they’v come a long way, but for me, other side of the firewall and the built in monitor system is the only way I’m comfortable.
dga,
Which version of the lithium battery are you referring to? The EarthX claims this: "The EarthX batteries use cells made of Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) chemistry that was developed in the U.S.A. This chemistry is the highest performance, most robust and the safest on the market today."
https://earthxbatteries.com/our-batteries/lithium-battery-technology
Based upon EarthX's claims, it appears they are as safe as a lead acid battery. Using their claims, it appears they are safe for cockpit installation. If so, I would think it would be a better environment for the battery to be behind the firewall rather than with the engine?

Mine will be the EarthX EXT 900-TSO. I agree the iron phosphate is better that lithium ion, but it’s still new technology. My airplane is certified, not Experimental, so I have less latitude. Had to work up a Field Approval that my FAA Inspector would buy off on (they don’t let me use my DAR or DER on my own airplane).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t argue with you on that, but I have to play their game. I’ve been fortunate that my FAA advisor knows I know what I’m doing, and to date hasn’t denied a field approval request (except for gross weight increase).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just paid $574 for 4 -5/8" Univair strut forks....they had to be the J3 style.....ouch. I wonder why some of the J3 stuff costs more than Supercub? oh well. Do most of you use pressure caps on your fuel tanks? Mine is a headerless system (2-18 gallon Tanks). I think I would rather have it that way....if so, I need new caps. I need to order a bunch of stuff and take a week off to finish the hanger inside, then another to get as much of this plane finished up....so many little details to complete. My metal came for the ceiling of my hangar today...so time to focus. Had to roll her out today to stack the metal inside...I looks more doner than it is:)
WingsOn.jpg

Attachments

• WingsOn.jpg
    WingsOn.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 187
Those caps a simple to convert with either brake line or copper tubing. I never had a Piper wing tank that needed them though. Champ wing tanks are a different story

Glenn

Last edited:
Never heard of "J3 style" strut forks. As long as the threads are the same pitch they all fit the same way.

And yes, you definitely are supposed to have pressure caps on a headerless system.

J3 strut fork is a different part number....the mounting holes on the fuselage are smaller??? And an 1/8” closer together...Somebody correct me if wrong...J3 has 5/16” holes 7/8” apart....Supercub has holes on fuselage attach points 1” apart bigger bolt hole. I’ve been wrong before though.

Correct Dan. I used a larger one in the front (S. cub style) and a J-3 one in the rear. The front one on the fus. I was using had a bushing in the front hole that I just punched out. When I built the new fus. a couple years ago I used the bigger fus. fitting and could use both 3/8 forks.

https://www.globalplasticsheeting.com/gps-corrugated-plastic-sheets

I just got some of this stuff for my interior....good flame retardant properties, light, easy to work with?.....I'll let you know how easy:) and durabilty is unknown....I plan to to glue some light material over it for high class looks lol. I should just go around and ask everyone for their election signs....cheap interior. same stuff. I think I'll actually try to burn some first and see what happens.

Last edited:
The stuff the political signs are made from burns and melts into a mess...the FR treated stuf self extinguishes and looks like it might be a winner. I will put some nice grey fabric on it and i can cut this stuff wherever and use the fabric as a means to splice and make angle transitions to bring it all together. I better start shopping for a DAR to do my inspection.....in April? I wonder if I should call the FSDO first...trouble is....my FSDO is in Grand Rapids, MI almost 8 hrs drive....Milwaukee, WI FSDO is 4 hrs away. Ant advice from you guys "In the know" on this?

Just talked to our very own SC.org member Joe Norris, DAR ....He will be available when I need my inspection.....He's from Oshkosh which is only 3 hrs away...His long time ownership and affiliation with Cubs will be to my benefit. I better get cracking and finish her up.

The stuff the political signs are made from burns and melts into a mess...the FR treated stuf self extinguishes and looks like it might be a winner. I will put some nice grey fabric on it and i can cut this stuff wherever and use the fabric as a means to splice and make angle transitions to bring it all together. I better start shopping for a DAR to do my inspection.....in April? I wonder if I should call the FSDO first...trouble is....my FSDO is in Grand Rapids, MI almost 8 hrs drive....Milwaukee, WI FSDO is 4 hrs away. Ant advice from you guys "In the know" on this?

Initial certification can be either a MIDO or FSDO. If using a DAR, no need to talk to the FAA first, just contact the DAR and get all the info from him. DAR-F is MIDO, DAR-T is FSDO. Keep in mind, with a DAR, you pay, while with the FAA it comes out of your taxes.most DARs can fit you in the schedule within a couple weeks, with the FAA it will likely be 6 months or longer before they can get to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Snorkel caps are over kill in your application. Actually not really needed on a 150 hp unless you want to meet the FAA requirements for fuel flow. Test it to be sure.

Snorkel caps are over kill in your application. Actually not really needed on a 150 hp unless you want to meet the FAA requirements for fuel flow. Test it to be sure.

i have CubCrafter headerless fuel system on my J-3 with two 18 gallon tanks. It was installed by Cubcrafter when they owned the plane years ago and while the STC is included in the paperwork, and it is appropriately signed off, the STC information is not with the plane. I have requested from CC the complete paperwork but never have received it. It does not have snorkel caps. My 18 has the same headerless fuel system and I have that paperwork which calls for Cubcrafter caps part numbers 101716-31 which are snorkel caps. The J-3 has only a C-90 in it. I’m not sure if I should have the snorkel caps on the J-3 or not. Does anyone know if they are required on a J-3 with that STC? I gues that’s a question fo CC.

I did put stainless screens over the ends of the snorkels on my 18.

Thoughts on the snorkel requirement on the J-3?

i have CubCrafter headerless fuel system on my J-3 with two 18 gallon tanks. It was installed by Cubcrafter when they owned the plane years ago and while the STC is included in the paperwork, and it is appropriately signed off, the STC information is not with the plane. I have requested from CC the complete paperwork but never have received it. It does not have snorkel caps. My 18 has the same headerless fuel system and I have that paperwork which calls for Cubcrafter caps part numbers 101716-31 which are snorkel caps. The J-3 has only a C-90 in it. I’m not sure if I should have the snorkel caps on the J-3 or not. Does anyone know if they are required on a J-3 with that STC? I gues that’s a question fo CC.

I did put stainless screens over the ends of the snorkels on my 18.

Thoughts on the snorkel requirement on the J-3?
CAR Part 3:
"§ 3.434 Fuel flow rate for gravity feedsystems. The fuel flow rate for gravity feedsystems (main and reserve supply) shall be 1.2pounds per hour for each take-off horsepower or150 percent of the actual take-off fuelconsumption of the engine, whichever is greater."

Those snorkel caps are to ensure an adequate fuel flow for higher fuel consumption engines. Your C-90's fuel requirement isn't high enough to need the added push of the snorkel pressure.

I think the CubCrafters STC covers PA-18’s, and was shown to be compatible with your J-3 with a PA-18 fuel system. Since the STC requires the snorkel caps I think you’d need a variance to remove them...

Last edited:
I think the CubCrafters STC covers PA-18’s, and was shown to be compatible with your J-3 with a PA-18 fuel system. Since the STC requires the snorkel caps I think you’d need an exception to remove them...
Mark, The two airplanes are under two different Type Certificates. They will require two different STCs even though the parts may be the same. If they happen to be on the same STC, there would be specific requirements listed for the use of the caps on each model of airplane.

CAR Part 3:
"§ 3.434 Fuel flow rate for gravity feedsystems. The fuel flow rate for gravity feedsystems (main and reserve supply) shall be 1.2pounds per hour for each take-off horsepower or150 percent of the actual take-off fuelconsumption of the engine, whichever is greater."

Those snorkel caps are to ensure an adequate fuel flow for higher fuel consumption engines. Your C-90's fuel requirement isn't high enough to need the added push of the snorkel pressure.

J-3 was built under the CAR 4 regulations. Not sure if CAR 3 is applicable.

Also when an STC is deemed by the holder to be acceptable I believe it can be used on a different plane in some circumstances. For example a J-3 with an 18 rear seat may use at the holders discretion an under 18 rear seat storage compartment or with an 18 front seat may use an under front seat battery STC I think.

All this is written as question rather than as a statement. I have seen it done.

J-3 was built under the CAR 4 regulations. Not sure if CAR 3 is applicable.

Also when an STC is deemed by the holder to be acceptable I believe it can be used on a different plane in some circumstances. For example a J-3 with an 18 rear seat may use at the holders discretion an under 18 rear seat storage compartment or with an 18 front seat may use an under front seat battery STC I think.

All this is written as question rather than as a statement. I have seen it done.
Not for the sake of argument, but that won't fly for me as an IA, and I am not hard to get along with at all. The STC for such as you are referring to would have to have the aircraft model listed on the eligibility list. If the aircraft model is listed you are good to go.

It would be nice if some of that type of thing could be done, and no harm in most cases, but it would be most difficult to do with a straight face.

Back