• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How have you installed an Odyssey or SBS-J16 battery in the stock battery box

slowjunk

My Gill battery is on its last legs and I definitely need a replacement. I would like to put an Odyssey (SBS-J16) in the stock battery box. I have seen several posts that say people have done that but I haven't seen pictures or a description of how it was done. Would anyone be so kind as to describe how the Odyssey battery was secured in the original battery box so that the battery is secured from movement? I have seen reference to SA-02734CH for the PA-20 but I am not really interested in paying $150 dollars for an STC that is not valid for a PA-18 (It would be great if they extended it to the PA-18:lol:).

Don't have a pic, but it's pretty simple. Use wood, UHMW, etc to fashion spacers. Place the battery in the box and shim it on one side and on the top, with the spacers, so that it is held in place when the cover is put on. If you want, you can fix the spacers to the battery box, so that they remain in place any time the battery is removed.

Web

The stc for the pacer uses 4130 strap, bent around the battery and secured with some an3 bolts through the front of the battery box.

You can also ditch the box, and use the hold down that spruce sells. That's what I did, used some t nuts and bolts.

Would anyone have pictures of this 4130 strap used in the stock battery box in the Pacer? How about pictures for the wood or UHMW spacers added to the box? I know it is a very low practical question but it would be nice to see how both different solutions are done.

As to the mention of a different hold down box for the Odyssey; to that point I consider it but right now it is not the best solution for me.

The original battery box cover has a piece of wood as a spacer which is screwed to the cover. Just do the same with the correct size block of wood. Use a drop in block of wood for the side or bend up an open ended box out of sheet aluminum for the spacer.

I used a couple of short pieces of 2x4 to stuff the box around the smaller battery. It's secure, but removable.

I installed an Odyssey in place of a Concorde RG25 in my old C150/150TD under a field approval (but let's not go into whether a field approval is actually required or not!). I was gonna use a piece of wood for a spacer but my IA didn't like that idea due to it being flammable. Ditto a Styrofoam spacer since they can produce toxic smoke & the battery box was inside the fuselage. I ended up making a hat-section spacer of aluminum and securing it in place with a couple sheet metal screws through the front of the battery box into tinnermans in the spacer flanges . There was a little extra space side to side, but the battery was pretty well held in place in that axis by the cables. If you're not familiar with "hat section", google it and hit images. As I recall, the Odyssey saved me 8 pounds and worked just as well or better than the RG25. While you're at it, clean all the power & ground connections associated with the battery and starter to ensure maximum performance.

FWIW the Powersafe / Odyssey SBS J-16 brochure I have (from West Coast Batteries) says "FAA-PMA certified sealed aircraft battery for Piper models PA18 & PA19 aircraft. It can be used in other makes of aircraft but will require local FAA field certification."

I contacted the STC holder (Svenn's Aviation) for SA-02734CH and he said that he just received approval for applying the STC to the PA-18. Cool.

If it was me, I'd contact West Coast Batteries and/or Powersafe / Odyssey and ask them about the basis for their "approved for PA18" statement. You might not need to buy Sven's STC.

The battery is already PMA'd for a PA-18. This goes above and beyond the requirements of CAR 3 (the certification basis of the aircraft). Put the battery in the box, shim it, do the weight/balance and logs. Presto! Done and legal.

Web

43.13 says to just use wood. Found appropriate lumber, I beleive it was Poplar. A&P considered a Minor.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Battery.jpg
    Battery.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,332
NDRII,

Thanks for the photos. That was exactly what I was looking for. What kind of battery box is that? Is it a Boggert Aviation box?

Back