• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-18 Lower Cowl Drawing

Darrel Starr

Plymouth, MN
I have emailed the following lower cowl .dwg and.pdf files to several people. Here they are attached in case others want them. The .dwg file can be used to have pieces water jet cut. The .pdf file can be printed at a FedEx Office Store or similar print place to create a full size pattern for cutting out a part -- beware: I have not made any parts from these drawings.
I discovered that the FedEx printer doesn't print precisely to actual size so the routine is to print one full size, measure the actual lengths on the print of the 26.75 and 25.375 dimensions and adjust the printer setting. In my case that was (26.75/26.625) x 100 = 100.5% size. That worked perfectly. If you tell the FedEx printer operator what you want to start with, they will only charge you for the perfectly scaled copies, about $7 each. The .pdf drawing is a 33 x 33 inch size. Ask them to print it full scale or actual size on 36 x 48 inch paper.
Example of the drawings as printed at FedEx:

Attachments

• Lower Cowl 151105.pdf
    87.4 KB · Views: 353
  • Lower Cowl 151105.dwg
    43.4 KB · Views: 359
here a mod you should do to prevent the round airbox from rubbing a hole in air scoop, that is common on most cubs

leave front and pivot every thing in red box both edges...

presto no more issues

Attachments

• modified cowl.jpg
    modified cowl.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 577
Darrel

The results of a couple of hours playing (I mean work) this afternoon:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 2,106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 2,357
Darrel (and others), a couple of points about the process.

1) your drawing had lots of unjointed vectors. For example where a straight line ends and is radiused into the next straight line. My software (cut2d) has a utility to automatically join these individual lines within a certain distance (0.010 or 0.005 works well), but it got confused by dimension lines, reference lines, etc. after deleting these lines one at a time, I was able to join all the lines into a single shape for the outside, another for each cutout etc. the cleaner the file is the better, no text, non cutting lines etc.
2) I then setup a toolpath, select a shape, select a tool, inside or outside cut etc. this is pretty easy, experience has shown if I choose the one outside cut first, then all the inside cuts can be done with the next toolpath.
3) export to the machines 'toolpath' software
4) import to the machine
5) setup the x,y,z reference points, and the bottom of material, top of material etc.
6) turn on the 5hp vacuum pump to hold the sheet in place
7) press start and find something else to do for 15 minutes
8) voila.
9) I left out all the rivet holes - I use a .125 router bit, and experience has shown I should drill 0.125 holes and then drill out manually, unles the hole is 0.375 or greater. I should be able to learn how to inser a drill bit, and then go around a second time and drill pilot holes for rivets. In this case, I figured the various fittings already have holes, so those should be used for locating the holes?

aerodon

Darrel,

Do you want to try doing another file with the modification suggest by Mike. Keep the rivet holes, I'll try drill them on the next one I make.

Also, I have a non-oil cooler nose bowl, I'll measure up where the holes are.

And what is the proper material to make it from?

Aerodon

Aerodon -- that looks amazing. I'm not surprised that some of the lines and radiuses have gaps -- I usually go around the drawing zoomed in to check for connections but haven't done that with this drawing. The drawing does have several levels which can be turned off to eliminate the stuff you don't want to see, like dimensions. I'll have to check material thickness or better yet, if you want - since you are making such an effort - I will give you the parts I have on sale, all painted orange in the classified section. Some of the pieces are useable with your new bottom cowl and you can check the thickness on the cut up bottom sheet that goes along with the other parts. Just send your shipping address to darrelstarr@aol.com Kind of busy right now but I will clean up the drawing when I can and make a "cut" version minus the extraneous stuff when I get some time. This is what I usually do before handing the drawing off to be water jet or laser cut.

Darrel,

Do you want to try doing another file with the modification suggest by Mike. Keep the rivet holes, I'll try drill them on the next one I make.

Also, I have a non-oil cooler nose bowl, I'll measure up where the holes are.

And what is the proper material to make it from?

Aerodon

Anything ever come of this?

Lower Cowling

I have emailed the following lower cowl .dwg and.pdf files to several people. Here they are attached in case others want them. The .dwg file can be used to have pieces water jet cut. The .pdf file can be printed at a FedEx Office Store or similar print place to create a full size pattern for cutting out a part -- beware: I have not made any parts from these drawings.
I discovered that the FedEx printer doesn't print precisely to actual size so the routine is to print one full size, measure the actual lengths on the print of the 26.75 and 25.375 dimensions and adjust the printer setting. In my case that was (26.75/26.625) x 100 = 100.5% size. That worked perfectly. If you tell the FedEx printer operator what you want to start with, they will only charge you for the perfectly scaled copies, about $7 each. The .pdf drawing is a 33 x 33 inch size. Ask them to print it full scale or actual size on 36 x 48 inch paper.
Thank you very much,
Do you have also theround blade for the airfilter?

Stc sa 36 rm

Hello,
Thank you

this drawing is already helpful, but in the STC are mentioned still other drawings.
Best wishes
Klaus[FONT="Roboto",arial,sans-serif] [/FONT]

Back