• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

J5 project?

Wind River CNC

Hello, Everyone,
I'm seriously considering buying this j5 and restoring it:

on B.S. red J5 project.
I cant post a link

Its a 1941 J5 with an O-320 and supercub gear.
Aluminum spars

Does anyone see any reasons this would not be a decent plane?
Any issues with the mods? Like the O-320?

Thanks

Make sure that the paperwork for the mods has been done. I do not believe that Piper built any J-5s with metal spars. Also the -18 gear and the 0-320 will need approvals. Other than that a J-5 is a good airplane.

Make sure that the paperwork for the mods has been done. I do not believe that Piper built any J-5s with metal spars. Also the -18 gear and the 0-320 will need approvals. Other than that a J-5 is a good airplane.

The J5 C came with metal spars...only the early J5 c model had wood spars because piper wanted to use up the wood spars they had in stock. For sure check the paperwork, if it has cub gear it could be a A model...the C models had PA 12 style gear.

Thanks for the info,
What do I need to look for to know if the mods are legit and the paperwork is correct?
From talking with the guy, It has alot of mods, they installed the cub gear, bush wheels and tires, extra bracing not sure where, square wing tips,
o-320, he is an A&P and says it is all legit.
Would it be wise to hire a 3rd party A&P to go through it?

Also how would the performance be with the o-320?
I know it would be very limited on weight. I really just want a plane to get some hours on, Practice STOL, and travel to my mountain property with.

I appreciate the info and help!
Thanks

Looks to be an ok deal...0-320 would perform well...nose heavy, if paper work is legit and it is an C model I would consider it. Flew a J5a with an O290d2... It really flew well and is a good performer. My first was a J5C with an o-235c..it was light and was the best flying cub I have flown...performance was good, just took more to climb when heavy.

I looked at the ad, I'm suspicious. Why did he take it apart to do what to it? Why was the engine removed? If that is an early 0-320 it may have a 1200 hour TBO and now has 1450 running good. Did he pull it for a major and not want to spend the $$? The asking price seems very high for a dismantled airplane of unknown condition with a higher time engine. Fabric done in 1982, did he take it apart because the lower longerons were rusty near the tail? Depending on who does the work to get it back in the air, I can easily see another $20k+ being spent. Just my opinion from sitting here looking at the ad. I'll bet that it will be a great flying airplane when back together. Also there are A&Ps and others who have A&P certificates. We don't know which this one is. Nuff said.

I looked at the ad, I'm suspicious. Why did he take it apart to do what to it? Why was the engine removed? If that is an early 0-320 it may have a 1200 hour TBO and now has 1450 running good. Did he pull it for a major and not want to spend the $$? The asking price seems very high for a dismantled airplane of unknown condition with a higher time engine. Fabric done in 1982, did he take it apart because the lower longerons were rusty near the tail? Depending on who does the work to get it back in the air, I can easily see another $20k+ being spent. Just my opinion from sitting here looking at the ad. I'll bet that it will be a great flying airplane when back together. Also there are A&Ps and others who have A&P certificates. We don't know which this one is. Nuff said.

I agree, Something is not right, I will do some serious checking before I buy it

I would consider yourself lucky wind river. The j5 is great in its original configuration and up to a O-235.

The problem with the j-5 is there are very few stc's available. Even though they are very similar to the stock pa-12, they could never be a pa-12.

there was a airworthy pa-12 on barnstormers in San Diego last week for $23,000. That was a way better deal!

A pilot once summed it up by saying that the J5 makes you look like a much better pilot than you are. It is a wonderful flying cub with great aileron response but sadly very little support in the paperwork department with few legitimate mods. I saw the same ad and requested a copy of the 337 field approval on that 0320 but got no response. Done right it would not be "nose heavy".

Thanks, Yes I think I have made up my mind to not go the certified route, or buy one that is flying.
I am looking into building a stretched pacer with D&E super cub wings on it.

Would anyone still have contact info for the owner of the J5 on floats. Ad is gone ! Thanks in advance. Aurele

Back