• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

AN hydraulic brake fittings.

texmex

Hanging Rock, Australia.
2013-12-19 07.02.02.jpg

Hello all. I had these fittings out of the standard Super Cub brake master. There back in now but the diaphrams in the master cylinder need changing so they'll be coming out again. I've just watched the EAA online video on pipe fittings which was very useful.
Can anyone help with size and part numbers. I'm away from the aircraft for another month and can't measure myself. (suspecting someone knows of the top of their head). The one with the 45* NPT thread I think is an AN833. Not sure of the dash no.

I saw on the video that the flats were not of a standard size. So how does one screw them in without scratching up the soft aluminium?

Thanks,
Denis.

Attachments

• 2013-12-19 07.02.02.jpg
    2013-12-19 07.02.02.jpg
    864.3 KB · Views: 147
That happens a lot. Most mechanics think the Weatherhead is not legal.

Weatherhead inverted flares were standard on all autos until the 1970s or so - the flex hose is identical to a 1967 Mustang! They are still available in selected auto stores, but some are now made in China, and work about the sameway as Wag Aero stuff.

Going to the expensive AN stuff is legal as a minor mod. It costs about quadruple.

Just in case you want to go back to "stock" - the hose is NAPA 36549. If your Scott master is tapped for 1/8" NPT you need a Weatherhead 202x3 adapter for the male end of the hose. The other end matches the stock 105x4 tube nut.

I have found that the tube nuts sometimes come with the wrong threads, and do not seat the flares. I keep a spare flared tube end, and test each tube nut before use. This is a modern problem, and probably has to do with where things are manufactured.

The stock setup, including all parts including new copper line to the caliper, is under $20 per side.

Thanks guys. Well I'm curious as to what's stock and what's not on my aircraft now. Although are there any original 1965 Super Cubs?

I assume a bit of tape inside the jaws of an adjustable shifter (wrench) would save the burring of them. I wonder why the flats are not a standard size?

I look more out of curiosity at the Weatherhead product in the A/S catalogue. Ta.

Back