• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

ELT Registration

ELT5775

If you've ever had problems with ELT registrations, you might find "How Not to Register an ELT & Avoiding a Registration Mess" useful. I wrote these articles over 2 years ago and I've gotten 850 downloads to date. If nothing else, you might find "How Not to Register an ELT" amusing - or maybe somewhat appalling. Anyway the articles are posted at Amazon.com. Just go to the website and type in the title. The articles will be free at least through October.

J. Roger Foster

Oh, jeez, now I really am going to Guantanamo. I have never registered an ELT, nor have I registered any other transmitter, ever. Care to posta link to the requirement to do so?

Any 406 beacon requires registration. It makes no sense to upgrade to the 406 if you aren't going to let MCC know who you are when the beacon goes off.

NOAA is in charge of registrations and the every two year re-registrations. Remember to keep a copy of your beacon ID number if you want to access your registration info on-line. No number, no access. I need to go get mine and do my update so thanks for the thread and the reminder!

For Bob- http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/elt-form.pdf

Last edited:
I've registered four of them initially now, and renewed registration on a couple. Absolute piece of cake.

Go to the web link Stewart posted and follow the instructions.

As Stewart noted, there's really no point buying an ELT or a PLB unless you register it.

MTV

Part of the quick reaction to a 406 MHZ signal is knowing who to look for. When you register the ELT, you provide contact information and aircraft description/N number. When the ELT activates, the guys watching will get a signal that 'Mr Hugh G Rection' is transmitting from Cessna 185 N6969 (Because we all know Cubs don't crash).This message will include such things as telephone numbers. And before you set one off, remember that these guys are required to make contact with someone in two minutes. Just ask the guys here, some of whom have had the dreaded 'call'.
If you don't register, the signal will come up, but with no information. They will calculate your location, but the reaction will be slow and you'll have to answer extra questions from people who might have risked their lives looking for you.
The whole point is, just register the thing. If you don't want anyone to look for you, then turn it off and make sure you have no passengers.

Web

Good info. I was afraid somebody wanted me to register the EBC-102As. If I ever go into the bush (not likely) I shall get a 406 and register it. Or does ADS-B cover it for the lower 48?

Good info. I was afraid somebody wanted me to register the EBC-102As. If I ever go into the bush (not likely) I shall get a 406 and register it. Or does ADS-B cover it for the lower 48?

Bob,

There are LOTS of places in the Lower 48 where you could crash and not be found for decades......Steve Fossett ring a bell?

Buy and install a 406 ELT. Cheap insurance.

MTV

I have a Garmin 496 dedicated to providing a GPS signal thru an RS-232 wire to my ACK E-04 406 ELT. After I replaced the 496 up front with an iPad Mini / Foreflight Pro Sy/ Stratus 2S, I relocated the Garmin 496 to the back seat and reran the wires connecting it to the 406 ELT in the baggage area. Vivian uses it when she is along but she could be using her iPhone with Foreflight. I'm thinking that I will be an early customer for the Appareo built Stratus ESG ADS-B transponder when it becomes available next year. I asked the project manager to provide an RS-232 output for the ELT from the ESG -- there is one in the harness that connects the ESG to the 2S -- and he said he would look into it. His first concern was that the GPS sampling rate for ADS-B might be slower than that in the Garmin 496. Anyway, I would like to kill two birds with one stone when both ADS-B and 406 ELTs become the norm. http://www.appareo.com/aviation/stratus-esg/

I tried getting to document from Amazon but it seems to not be possible. Is there a PDF version available?

I tried getting to document from Amazon but it seems to not be possible. Is there a PDF version available?

PM me and let me know which ELT you have. There is usually a registration page in the install manual and I can email that to you.

Web

If you fill out the info on the page in the manual, first, you will have all required info in one spot. I.e., serial numbers, hex code, etc. And the link to the noaa page will be listed on that page.

Web

Back