• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA12 180HP Conversion

D.A.

FRIEND
Free America
Do you have to remove any fabric from a PA12 to install an O-360? I've seen all the tubing added with Charlie Center's mod, but I can't remember if that was for a 180 or for the 1950 GW increase. If there is a way to install a 180 without structural mods, is there an STC or are each of them just field approved? How are the banner tow guys doing it?
Thanks in advance.
D.A.

Crosswinds has the short mount/modified cherokee cowling 180hp STC and Univair has the short mount/Supercub style cowl STC. I'm pretty sure both will require Cub tailfeathers, Cub gear, and probably flaps. That's where the modifications will bite you if you don't already have those things. It's likely that the 1935# gross would be a preferred mod but it isn't required that I recall.

I'm pretty sure both will require...Cub gear, and probably flaps...
Thanks Stewart. So you'll be into the fabric on both the wings and fuselage. You'd only need to replace the forward gear fitting to run Cub gear if I'm not mistaken. But it sounds like there aren't any other structural mods within the fuselage. The banner guys must be getting FA's because I've seen some PA12's with stock gear and no flaps towing signs. I've even seen J5's with 180's as tow ships.
Thanks Stewart.

So if I already have a 150 HP is there a lot more that needs to go into getting a 180? or can I simply buy engine, and buy STC and "plug and play"?

Pa-12/180

DSC_6626.JPGI use the Xwinds STOL version and really like it. I"ll have to check, but I don't recall any fuselage mods. Only for gross weight increase. Big tail yes, flaps, maybe not. Performance is excellent. As a minimum make sure you have the landing gear straps modified per SB (or AD) from flat strap to beefed up with streamlined tube welded around it. Also check for the SB on the little aileron hinge support brackets. That one is obscure but there should be a little extra bracket on the aileron hinge supports. Had them both ways and never had an issue. BTW The XWinds mod allows for excellent cooling, plus the twin mufflers are efficient and quiet.

Attachments

• DSC_6626.JPG
    DSC_6626.JPG
    888 KB · Views: 295
Charlie Center conversion, short mount, no other tubing needed in the fuselage other than for increase of GW.

I own one of the sister ships to 2504M.
I am up in Alaska with 3396M. Just got her up here from Alabama. I have a bunch of questions about the planes if you could send me a message
For whiskey mike

Back