• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Crash rebuild

The proper way to break in that engine is on an already flying airframe. I'll send you my address.

It's a tough job but I'm going to sacrifice a bunch of time and break in the engine myself. The owner told me we were doing so many mods on it that I had to do all the initial flights on it until I get any bugs worked out if there are any. I'm thinking it will probably take 25 hours or so and a few trips to Sulpher Creek and the B before it will be ready for him to fly it. :roll: Actually Lycon broke it in on the test stand so it should be good to go. Don

Well, the fabric is done ready for the spray coats. I mounted the engine and prop so I could fit the cowl so I can paint everything. Gives the Cub a whole new look. Don

Attachments

• IMG_0521.JPG
    IMG_0521.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0523.JPG
    IMG_0523.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0524.JPG
    IMG_0524.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 162
I have a 4" wide body cub with Dakota Cub wings that I built up from nothing. I flew it for about six months on 31s and put it on wip2100a' s. I absolutely love the airplane. It looks like you are pretty far along but if you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
Ray Cook

I did not go with the thrust mod. I have a 160hp with an 82x44 prop. As it is by myself with half fuel I get off the water in about 6 seconds, with full fuel two people and gear I am still getting off in 10 to 11 seconds. I flew the airplane from southern Wisconsin to Florida and back and was getting about 100mph cruise. This was a pretty long flight so I think I got a pretty good guess on average speed. In my opinion with the wide body you don't need the mod.

I talked to the Folks at Thrust line and they didn't have a definitive answer about the wide body performance so I didn't put it on. All I am saying is I am very happy with the performance I have.

Ray, Did you win an award at OSH a few years ago? Did you have a Garmin 696 centered on your panel? You had a flush mount that was really clean.

Blue Skies,
Denny

Yes, I won a Grand Champion Contemporary at OSH and a Grand Champion Seaplane at Sun & Fun. The flush mount GPS is a Garmin 796.

Attachments

• F9457DBD-06D1-43A4-B6ED-20F1D083598B.JPG
    F9457DBD-06D1-43A4-B6ED-20F1D083598B.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 262
Been awhile but I got the fabric and basic paint done so things are going back together permanently. I'll start building up the instrument panel next week. Don

Attachments

• cub painted 1.jpg
    cub painted 1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 179
  • cub painted 2.jpg
    cub painted 2.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 162
It will have airspeed, altimeter and T&B steam gauges an EDM 830 for EMS and a Garmin G5 when it comes out. This is a certified Cub so have to stick with what's legal. Garmin GTR 200 COMM and Stratus ESG 1090 ADSB TX. Don

Check out some of the Winters gauges at Wings & Wheels. I've installed several of their airspeeds and altimeters and have loved them. They are made for gliders so are extremely light weight and are in 3 1/8" and 2 1/4" sizes.

Also check out some of the smaller avionics like the Becker and Trig lines. You can get models that fit in a 2 1/4" instrument hole and not mount a tray in the panel.

Web

Almost done. We're doing vinyl graphics so I haven't put the wings on until that is done. Here are a couple of pictures of it right now. The instrument panel has a Garmin G5 AH and a JPI EDM 830 EMS.

Attachments

• more cub 3.jpg
    more cub 3.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 155
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 162
  • cub II.jpg
    cub II.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 155
The Cub is done and flying. Came out a little heavy at 1280# but it has great performance. With the slotted wings it will fly level in the low 20's indicated with the stick back against the up stop. No real stall break or spin tendencies even when agrivated. The engine and prop combination works very well and has impressive take off and climb performance. What the slotted wing gives in slow speed performance it takes away on the top end. Cruise is 105 mph but like the owner says it is still 20-25 mph faster than with the fixed pitch prop. The vinyl trim came out great. With the new thin vinyls it looks just like paint and even the fabric weave shows through.

Attachments

• cub tundra 1.jpg
    cub tundra 1.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 159
  • a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 161
I have not seen any loss on the top end of a Dakota slotted wing after changing wings from stock to slots on the same airframe with no other changes.

Any ideas Steve. I was disappointed with the top end. With this engine and prop combination it should run around 125 mph. Don

SJ has 180 hp and the two blade MT with Sullivan extended wings and I have flown his airplane on 31's and 35s and I didn't get anything close to 125 mph. Maybe he will chime in here.

Any ideas Steve. I was disappointed with the top end. With this engine and prop combination it should run around 125 mph. Don

Don,

I'm not sure my plane would go 125 if I pointed it straight down with full power! I get about 95mph with 31's.

My first supercub which was a stock airframe PA-18-105 (no flaps) and 135hp and cruise prop (no vg's, standard gear covered, etc) would go 120mph with 800 x 6 tires. When I put bushwheels, vgs, and uncovered extended gear on, it dropped to around 85.

Put on super small tires and see what she does!

sj

Just my two cents.......I have flown a couple of CS prop Supercubs and they did not go but 5 (maybe 10 MPH) faster than a fixed pitch Cub. I think there is just so much drag in the airfoil, gear, tires, etc that the CS prop does not help much. Certainly not worth the cost in my OPINION. I was getting 110 MPH max. CS props are great on airplanes that are less draggy, i.e. RV's, Glassairs, Lancairs etc. not so much on Cubs. IMHO

Bill

That was with the small tires. Just put the 31s on it this week and haven't had a chance to fly it. The Backcountry Cub I finished in 2011 will cruise 115-120 with a 185hp O-320 and 74x56 cruise prop and a stock wing.. This one does get off quick and climbs like crazy but hoped for a bit more on the top end. But after all is said and done the customer is happy with it. Don

Don, in my experience, 2 blade props are also faster than 3 blades...

sj

You have mentioned your weight which you consider heavy. You have not addressed your loaded for flight CG. You do have some draggy items on that plane which accounts for some of the speed loss. I have preached CG until I'm blue in the face and I suspect that is part of your situation. Forward CG requires a lot of nose up trim which translates into mucho drag. Try a flight ballasted to the rear limit of 20" and report back here.

Back