• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-18-105 Special

wyocubdriver

Yakima, WA
Hello everyone,

My grandpa used to own a 105 Special up until the mid-1990's when he sold it. For obvious reasons, this type of Super Cub has always been near and dear to my heart. Someday I would like to buy my grandpa's old Cub back. I wanted to see how many of SuperCub.org people currently own or have owned a 105 special and if so, would have any information about how much one would sell for? Any other helpful information about the 105 Special would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

They, like the really nice PA-18-95 often go for less than 50K in good shape. I do not care for the 105, even though that is the first airplane I ever got a lesson in. The toe brakes, if not properly adjusted, can get you in trouble, and in any case are not much fun. I wonder if the larger tail feathers were necessary on this bird. I have flown 190, 191, 195, and Robbie Grove's 150 HP conversion. I forget his N- #.

I have a 135. I'm not interested in selling it. Like the 105 it is my understanding the fuselage is lighter then the 150 and there are less wing ribs. So it is lighter. It flies great when checking windmills. When I had it's annual done the mechanic said it was worth $89,000. Then I took it to Omaha for a sticky valve. The mechanic there said do not let it go for less then $90,000. Again not selling, and I know you asked about a 105 not a 135. I was also curious to know the value.

I have owned 257 for about 5 years and it still has the O-235 and toe brakes. I spend most of my time being jealous of the guys with 150s and flaps. I was pretty worried about the toe brakes when I first started looking at the airplane, a lot of bad press, but now I can modulate my brakes with more accuracy than any heel brake cub I've ever flown. I think it is just what you get used to using.
Mine weighs a little over 900lbs empty and light I can do pretty well. With two people, camping gear and fuel I have to work with tighter margins and make wise decisions. I paid 33K for mine, I have it insured for 40K. Mid time engine and older fabric but all in all in nice shape.
Sawyer

I have owned 257 for about 5 years and it still has the O-235 and toe brakes. I spend most of my time being jealous of the guys with 150s and flaps. I was pretty worried about the toe brakes when I first started looking at the airplane, a lot of bad press, but now I can modulate my brakes with more accuracy than any heel brake cub I've ever flown. I think it is just what you get used to using.
Mine weighs a little over 900lbs empty and light I can do pretty well. With two people, camping gear and fuel I have to work with tighter margins and make wise decisions. I paid 33K for mine, I have it insured for 40K. Mid time engine and older fabric but all in all in nice shape.
Sawyer

Are you cleaning our windows with a fill up in 2 weeks?

Glenn

I have a 1953 105 tango and I second everything that "105 special" said.. Sure I would love to have 150hp or more and huge 35" tires but I am sipping 5.5 gallons at the moment. In the future I will get a larger cub but now I just want to learn to fly it REALLY well. I paid $30,000 but have put about $10,000 in it as soon as it got home in safety and engine stuff...also added a transponder and new radio.

My grandpa owned 218. It resides in northern California now. He loved the airplane. Are the toe brakes on the 105 any different from what you would find on a Clipper or a Pacer? I have quite a bit of time in a Clipper with toe brakes and they weren't too bad if you knew how to use them.

I have a 1950 cub special 105, and I am just alittle ways south of you @4V0. Mostly original with grove disc brake and VG's. Come on down some time.

The toe brakes work. If mis-adjusted they can hit the firewall at just exactly the wrong time. We found a crazy mode where they would go "off-center".

One guy was selling a converted Tri-pacer, and with a great deal of embarrassment said he had ground-looped it. I was doing a pre-purchase evaluation, and when looking at the brakes, found that the pedals hit the firewall. No brake when you need it the most. I told him I did not think his ground loop was his fault.

If I had a Tango Cub, I would take the time to change back to heel brakes.

Glenn, I am not flying in Rangeley, no window washing with the fuel this year. I may be able to make it over to Greenville for the first time in years, but unfortunately I am not on floats right now. I have to find a good place to keep it on the water for next spring.

That might be it! The gentleman who owns 218T is Jim VanDyke. I have spoken with him on the phone a couple times and he is a very nice guy!

That's the one. I flew him to Lander to pick it up in the 195 after a complicated trade deal. As I recall it had sat for some time before the person we got it from put it back in the air.

Yes, that sounds right. My grandpa sold it to a guy in Lander and then Jim bought it from him. My grandpa had and did not fly it for several years before he sold it.

Back