• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

baz62

Hi all. I was here trolling through the Projects in progress section and thought I might as well join up. Now I must point out that i have a project but (hangs head) it's not a Super cub or even a Piper product! However it does have a Piper connection in her linage. I own a 1953 J5F Auster ZK-BBZ (I'm in New Zealand), Britain's answer to the Cub. Well sort of. Those who know what an Auster is will know that the Auster was born from the US Taylorcraft and in fact that's what they were in the UK just before World War 2: a British Licence-built Taylorcraft. The only major difference was the UK CAA required the use of a stronger steel tube for the fuselage frame.
And the Piper connection? The original Taylor Brothers Aircraft Corporation (and C.G. Taylor was actually English) included on the board one William T. Piper.
Mr Taylor designed the Cub in 1930 and in 1936 sold his share in the company to Mr Piper. Mr Taylor founded the Taylor-Young Aircraft Corporation which is where the UK connection got there licence contract from.
So the Auster name came about during WW2 when the RAF coined the name and they were the Taylorcraft Auster and then post war the Taylorcraft name was removed and Auster Aircraft Ltd was born (March 1946.)
So to sum up and as described by a US pilot an Auster is a Taylorcraft built in an Anvil Factory!
My rebuild is proceeding very very slowly and has actually stopped (it's winter here there's an excuse right there) and one thing I have learned from those who have done this sort of thing before "do something every day no matter how small".
Here are a couple of photos. Basically I took on someone's project and here's a lesson: try and buy an aircraft that's assembled or at least not taken apart to ever last nut and bolt! (Yep I got the last scenario!)
I have the frame painted and the woodwork was all done (mostly) but I'm adding a few refinements.
The J5F was the aerobatic version of the breed (think Cub not Pitts Special!) and the frame was beefed up to handle this. Mine was one of four bought by the Canterbury Aero Club (the club I belong to here in Christchurch)in 1953. Mine ended up crashing(turned upside down during a forced landing) in 1965 with another club and has not flown since.
Although there is a website dedicated for the Auster there isn't the variety that this site has and the actual membership is quite low worldwide (although there does seem to be more Austers than owners who belong to the owners club)
So I'd like to use this website to help with the more technical aspects of a restoration that don't rely on a specific aircraft type. I've already picked up a few tips already that will ease my restoration.
Couple of photos:
First a colour one from early 60s. My colour scheme will be the Auster factory overall silver with a red fuselage stripe.
BBZ Colour scheme.jpg

Next one is a few weeks ago after i installed the control column "arch". Next is the rudder pedals and brake pedals.
113.jpg

And one showing the fuselage and a whole lot of Auster owners (and ex owners). I'm the chap third from the right.
Auster owners and BBZ.jpg

Anyway I hope you don't mind this intruder although I am going to be using the club's SuperCub (I hope) to get my tailwheel rating so there is some Cub in my veins!
Cheers
Baz

Attachments

• BBZ Colour scheme.jpg
    BBZ Colour scheme.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 113.jpg
    113.jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Auster owners and BBZ.jpg
    Auster owners and BBZ.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 169
Welcome, my flyin buddy has an AOP9 and a super cub and heads to Eggesford England for the Auster flyin

Glenn

Hi Glenn. An AOP9 in the US? Can't be too many of those flying over there. Have you flown it?
I do know another Kiwi living in the US and he has an AOP 6.

Plenty of guys on sc.org who fly "other" airplanes, welcome aboard and keep us in the Auster rebuild loop.

Back