• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Polishing Petrified Driftwood

flagold

Abbeville, Alabama

Some of you guys may come across this stuff, especially if you land on the bars (dredged). The earliest we seem to have (Fl/Ga) is from the Miocene (5-23 million yrs. ago). I haven't seen any Alaska petrified wood but I know with all the gold activity it is bound to be available.

Nice link, most of the stuff I've seen in AK isn't highly mineralized so doesn't look like it would polish well. But there is a lot around the coal deposits.

Nice link, most of the stuff I've seen in AK isn't highly mineralized so doesn't look like it would polish well. But there is a lot around the coal deposits.
-- you might have something though. If our material is black, in a lot of cases it polishes white, and if the white is cross hatched instead of straight grained, it is a fossilized tooth. The coal areas in the lower 48 are long known to have dino-bones. You might want to check some out when landing out there.

Back