• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Replace auto 12v plug and socket for GPS? Connector recommendation?

DavePA11

I have some portable devices which I plug into a removable 12v DC battery, and would like to replace the 12v auto plug with a locking connector.

Does anyone have a recommendation on Molex (or other) female/male 2-pin locking connector and associated pins for this job, and where to buy?

I was hoping to create a better connector system for powering portable devices which would not vibrate free. I don't have electrical system in my PA-11.

Not sure if this has both the plug and socket?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/m444.molexconnector.php?clickkey=6555

11-04217.JPG

Thanks,

Dave

Attachments

• 11-04217.JPG
    11-04217.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 156
If you're exp, a standard (mono) audio plug could be a simple solution to power very low amp devices.

That's what I use - a 2.1mm co-axial DC power plug. We have them in J-3s, Mooneys, Stearmans, a 206, and a couple of Super Cubs. They never vibrate out. Used to get them from Radio Shack, now from "All-Electronics".

We never had any luck at all with cigar lighters.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/dcsid/2.1mm-0.8-co-ax-power-plug/1.html

Also note - this plug goes in to early Icom portables and all Transcom portable intercoms. Later Icom portables do not accept 12volts, so they changed the size away from standard.

Well, I too have a no electrics cub with a small battery to power handheld and I pad. I clamped an automotive cigar lighter to the vertical tube of front seat, then plugged in a USB adaptor. Works great, and the adaptor has two ports, so options.

MTV

How about a LH/RH connector like a battery minder uses? Lave one on the battery, for charging and powering purposes, then have the corresponding one on your charger as well as all your 12V devices (GPS, cellphone charger, handheld com radio, whatever).

I found the 2.1 amp charger is not enough to charge an Ipad while using Foreflight and was told to use a 2.4 amp usb adapter.

I found the 2.1 amp charger is not enough to charge an Ipad while using Foreflight and was told to use a 2.4 amp usb adapter.

Were in final testing of a panel mount USB charger which will auto detect the device it is connected to and deliver the maximum amperage that the device is capable of handling.

Built and designed to DO-160 requirements.

We will have a pre-sale just before OSH.

Tim

My cigarette plug is wired to 12 volt. The USB adapter regulates the current. Go to any store that sells cigarette plug to USB adapters, and look for one that is rated for the I Pad. Mine works fine for the I Pad as well as a number of other devices.

IMG_3009.jpg

Simple, and very adaptable, since most every piece of electronics has a cigarette lighter adapter or a USB adapter available. The box that's below and in front of the plug is the battery box.

MTV

Attachments

• IMG_3009.jpg
    IMG_3009.jpg
    905.1 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Back