• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12, is it legal to fly with the door off?

txfirefighter628

Brownwood, TX
I read that the original PA-12 manual had a page that said the door could be taken off for photography flights. I do not have an original manual so I was looking to see if anybody had one I could copy or if anybody knew another to get around this to make the Feds happy if I get checked?

Don't know about legal but they fly just fine with the door off. The 12 I got my float rating in had it off the whole season.

Glenn

I have it off now and yes it flies fine, I just want to make sure if I stop somewhere and a FAA guy ask for paper work I have something to show him. I'm not even sure if it matters but I've seen paper work for 172's for taking the doors off for parachuting so I'm sure that it probely does.

United States parachuting has the stc for removing the door. I bought mine last year from them. Very nice people to work with. Asked a few questions and faxed me a copy same day, then mailed hard copies.

if you have 2 doors does it fly better with left or right door off? or does it not matter?

To be legal for flight with the door off for photo flights you need to have separate weight and balance.

AC105-2C Sport Parachute Jumping has an appendix 2 that lists aircraft that may be flown with a door off. This AC has long been revised and the appendix is not included in the new version. According to the AC the PA12 may be flown with a door off by following the procedures in the pilot operating handbook. With the POH, a log entry that the door was removed or reinstalled as appropriate, and the appropriate W&B with the door removed or with it installed and I think you would be good to go. I don't think the STC is necessary but if you chose to buy it, that would definitely end any questions about legality. jrh

Attachments

• AC105-2cSport ParachuteJumping.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 480
I read that the original PA-12 manual had a page that said the door could be taken off for photography flights. I do not have an original manual so I was looking to see if anybody had one I could copy or if anybody knew another to get around this to make the Feds happy if I get checked?

I have it and don’t see that in there.

Dewey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have an FAA letter for the J4. Not worth it; they want an extra strap across the opening.

Don't know about the -12, but the 18 with both sides open it is a tornado in the back seat. There is a reason the Cub door is on the left side.

Mine has a door on both sides and I fly with both of them open... from what I've been told, it's a bit breezy in the back seat!

Back