• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Battery Question

I just replaced a Gill -35 with a Concorde -35AXC for extra cranking amps, fit fine in battery box and got STC with puchase. Happy so far.

For Oddyssey users: What did you do to your stock (in tail) battery box location to secure the Oddysey? I know of the under seat mod, but what do you do in the original large Piper box in the tail?

For Oddyssey users: What did you do to your stock (in tail) battery box location to secure the Oddysey? I know of the under seat mod, but what do you do in the original large Piper box in the tail?

I like this guys solution to the Odyssey install in a PA-12....could be similarly installed in an -18. Don't know if it has a field approval or not, haven't seen a setup like this before, but looks simple and clean to me....may be a custom fabricated deal. Weight-wise, probably a wash since you're minus the weight of the original box.

I wouldn't use that kind of battery cable though...

image.jpg1_zpsinv4ylov.jpg

I just replaced a Gill -35 with a Concorde -35AXC for extra cranking amps, fit fine in battery box and got STC with puchase. Happy so far.

Remove the battery box and install the Odyssey tie down clamp (Spruce has it) thru bolted to the plywood shelf and you save weight twice...(Maybe if Steve Pierce has a pic of mine handy he'll post it). I did it before the rebuild and while it's not "fun" to work through the battery hatch it's not all that difficult.

Remove the battery box and install the Odyssey tie down clamp (Spruce has it) thru bolted to the plywood shelf and you save weight twice...(Maybe if Steve Pierce has a pic of mine handy he'll post it). I did it before the rebuild and while it's not "fun" to work through the battery hatch it's not all that difficult.

Not yours but I ditched the old battery box, and used the odyssey and hold down from spruce. Wasn't too bad to do while covered.
7ed0642d4cf10a95cbf8d62d2aef9b6c.jpg

86ffb6bbbbf6edd83501213b5fa4faf4.jpg

Thanks for the pictures! Next battery that comes down the road, that's what I'll do. What are your sources on the new battery cables - Bogert?

Where can I get a odyssey box I have a bogart battery box I haft to use stirofoam to hold my odyssey in place. Marc

Where can I get a odyssey box I have a bogart battery box I haft to use stirofoam to hold my odyssey in place. Marc

Fabricate one or use one like that pictured above, if it's for your T craft. I like the under seat tray made by Atlee Dodge for Cub types.

Web

Hey Guys, I am in the same boat with my battery. Completely rewired my plane over the last few weeks. I just made a box today...advantages of owning a fab shop. Any one else wants one let me know.
box.jpg

Attachments

• Box.jpg
    Box.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 189
  • box.jpg
    box.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,134
You might consider putting it on the firewall. The Odyssey is so light and the starter cable is going to be much shorter. 08032013368.jpg

Attachments

• 08032013368.jpg
    08032013368.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 194
Just got a Concorde RG35A XC for the 206. I got busy and did not get it shoehorned in - it looks like a really tight fit. Any suggestions?

Just got a Concorde RG35A XC for the 206. I got busy and did not get it shoehorned in - it looks like a really tight fit. Any suggestions?

We did a -35AXC in our 182 as well - the STC provided an approval for the owner/pilot/installer of the battery to modify the battery box (lid) as necessary for the battery to fit. It is a little taller than the G35. I think all we did was trim a little section off the top of the battery box lid for clearance.

I was afraid of that. This one slips into a concave area in the firewall. A rough measurement says it will barely fit, but so far I have not been willing to apply more than hand pressure. The owner was about to take a prybar to it.

I'm told the J-16 will fit in the -18 behing the F/W, on its side, between the boot cowl and the R.H. interior panel.

Where is best place for battery in a pacer. Marc

Seen several with an Odyssey on the firewall, changes W&B though. Otherwise, under seat where stock battery goes, only using Odyssey mounting clamp ($38) to mount on floor. Or (easiest), just put in stock batt. box with aluminum spacer.

Back