• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Still on Skis

NunavutPA-12

FRIEND
67.8N,115.1W CYCO Canada
Taken on May 10 on the Coppermine River. It looks like we have another month to play on the sea ice.

Spring 2015 043 small.jpg

Spring 2015 052 small.jpg

Attachments

• Spring 2015 043 small.jpg
    Spring 2015 043 small.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 248
  • Spring 2015 052 small.jpg
    Spring 2015 052 small.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 247
That's right! They are apparently in Edmonton, coming up on Buffalo Airways in early June.

No float flying here until July anyway.

The snow is going fast off the land here now. The rivers are already flooded with run-off water and un-useable. The snow on the lakes is still good for another week or two, depending on how big the lake is, and the lake ice will be safe for about three more weeks and conditions will be better once the snow has melted off.

The ocean still has about seven feet of ice cover. It will soon get wet, but once the ice cracks a little the water will drain off and then the conditions will be perfect.

The Datums are working well. I have to fine-tune things a little - loosen the rear cables just a smidgen and put a little more tension in the bungees.

The PA-12 sure jumps right off the snow - surprisingly fast compared to floats.

Aaand ...... still on skis .....

Arctic Ocean May 18, 2015

DSC07625 small.jpg

DSC07626 small.jpg

Attachments

• DSC07625 small.jpg
    DSC07625 small.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC07626 small.jpg
    DSC07626 small.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 219
First day of midnight sun for us today, May 29. Weather permitting, I should be able to go and land out on the ice this weekend. Temperature will be close to 70F today and the sea ice is getting smoother every day.

Oh yeah ..... and today is my last day of (full-time) work before retirement!

Last edited:
First day of midnight sun for us today, May 29. Weather permitting, I should be able to go and land out on the ice this weekend. Temperature will be close to 70F today and the sea ice is getting smoother every day.

Oh yeah ..... and today is my last day of (full-time) work before retirement!

Congrats but be careful

Glenn

Thanks fellas. The trick now is to have enough "left-over" cash to buy gasoline!

The sea ice is still about five feet thick. Some open leads but they are easy to see from the air.

Now on floats. New Clamar 2200's. It will be nice not to be carrying around 20-pounds of water all the time!
Clamar 2200s.jpg

Attachments

• Clamar 2200s.jpg
    Clamar 2200s.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 363
Last edited:
Nunavut: Those are great looking floats hope they work well for you. What is that mountainl I see in the picture under the nose of the Cub. I thought it was pretty flat up there?

Thanks Jon

Get out there and burn some gasoline. It's only a couple of months to freeze up! ;-) The floats look great Larry.

Thanks Pete.

Jon - that "mountain" is just a 75-foot cliff about a quarter-mile away. Distances/heights are deceiving in the arctic.

Now on floats. New Clamar 2200's. It will be nice not to be carrying around 20-pounds of water all the time!

Well as long as it doesn't rain!! The big hatch is terrible for rain water. Get the vasoline out and coat the twist lock shafts and all the spin in cover rings NOW.

Looks GREAT!!!!

just a suggestion, but on the bilmars i had i removed all the spin in lids and made alum covers for them with regular pump out's. much more better.IMO

Back