• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cessna 180 Tailwheel Possibilities

The baby bush wheel cost a bunch more than the glider tire and if you run it on hard gravel or black top you get to buy replacements. I've flown on sand, gravel and beaches and never had a problem with the glider tire.

The baby bush wheel cost a bunch more than the glider tire and if you run it on hard gravel or black top you get to buy replacements. I've flown on sand, gravel and beaches and never had a problem with the glider tire.

What glider tire are you talking about Tom? I pulled the Baby bushwheel off my PA-12 because I am mostly flying off pavement now. Coincidentally I am flying and towing gliders now.

The ribbed tire ABW's sell is the main tire for some glider, or I've been told. Not sure if I'm right, but been calling it that for quite a while. Hope all is well on your coast, if you get up north this summer call me.

My AeroClassics "glider tires" were good for a year each. I got tired of replacing them and switched to a baby bushwheel tire. I don't think the little tire likes being splayed open by that big spacer.

I always thought it was interesting how the AeroClassics glider tire says experimental only on the sidewall. I don't recall my STC naming that brand of tire. Not that I ever cared but some guys might.

I found a pic of one of mine. I don't miss changing them.

6754fd4b1725266063d0f85dc8cac4dc.jpg

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Wow, Stewart... How many landings on that tire, do you suppose? Beach & large gravel, mostly?
J

Not many, all gravel and sand. My tires didn't have wear issues. I don't think they like being stretched out in width. The checking at the beads was typical.

Not many, all gravel and sand. My tires didn't have wear issues. I don't think they like being stretched out in width. The checking at the beads was typical.

That, and the 62MPH max speed on the sidewall!
My 180 would have a tough time with that landing speed in front of some of the big iron at the airports we visit from time to time...
J

From AA: The other issue is that the 404 tire is an option but not necessarily a recommended one due to its tendency to chafe and split tubes. That is one reason we created the 1154.R Baby Bushwheel with the protected air bladder - it's that the 404 tubes are relatively thin and have a tendency to split under the stresses of use in a tailwheel.

I wonder if an extra helping of tire talc (aka baby powder) would help with the chafing issue when using 400x4's.

From Stewart: "My AeroClassics "glider tires" were good for a year each. I got tired of replacing them and switched to a baby bushwheel tire. I don't think the little tire likes being splayed open by that big spacer."

If the rim being too wide is an issue, for experimental use you could turn the wheel spacer down shorter, use shorter through bolts, and longer axle spacers.
I've seen 29" tires on 10" Gar adapters and the sidewall on those looks to be pretty splayed out,
but I've never heard anyone say that it's a problem.

I just looked at my AeroClassic 4/04 while arranging the shop.

boy am I displeased. Checked and splitting near the bead area. The sidewalls are still shiny and newish looking. Not as bad as Stewarts photo. But not good!!

EDIT:actually, it was installed in October and has about 15 hours on it!! Was on the airplane since then Oct (4 to 5 months) until I changed to wheel skis. Was tied outside in Alaska winterland!!

10 years ago the "glider rib" tire of choice was a Cheng Shin. Yep, most of 'em lasted til the rib/tread was worn off, as I recall on the GarAero wide forks we all used to run!!!!!!!

Maybe the AeroClassicic 404 is spec'd by AirframesInc/AkBushwheels as an alternative to the BabyBush so guys will upgrade to the BabyBush when they experience the AeroClassic junk!

now what was that address to get a Chinese ChengShin tire????

Last edited:
Dang, maybe it's a good thing I paid extra for the BBW.... Since the 4.00x4 is a standard sailplane tire for many popular types, you might try the Tost brand, sold in the U.S. by Wings and Wheels, viz:

http://wingsandwheels.com/aircraft-parts/tires/400x4-tost-aero-8-pr.html .

Continental used to also make this size. To Dave Calkins' comment, I'd bet that an industrial tyre source might have the Cheng Shin, or something similar, e.g., for two-wheel dollies, mowers and such.

Thanks. cubscout

Whose tire is AK Tundra Tires using with their wide fork? When I did use the rib tire I bought my tubes from Seaplanes North. Theirs worked way better but that had to do with the filler valve. I never had a tube problem other than installing the one Airframes sold.

boy am I displeased. Checked and splitting near the bead area. The sidewalls are still shiny and newish looking. Not as bad as Stewarts photo. But not good!!

EDIT:actually, it was installed in October and has about 15 hours on it!! Was on the airplane since then Oct (4 to 5 months) until I changed to wheel skis. Was tied outside in Alaska winterland!!

10 years ago the "glider rib" tire of choice was a Cheng Shin. Yep, most of 'em lasted til the rib/tread was worn off, as I recall on the GarAero wide forks we all used to run!!!!!!!

Maybe the AeroClassicic 404 is spec'd by AirframesInc/AkBushwheels as an alternative to the BabyBush so guys will upgrade to the BabyBush when they experience the AeroClassic junk!

Anyone find a more durable alternative to the AeroClassic 404?

Desser representative at the Fedex Tradeshow 1.5 weeks ago said that was a bad batch of Aero Classic 400-4s

He is doing something about it he said. Embarrassing. But he said he is acting on this.

http://www.lawnmowertirestore.com/400-x-4-6-ply-rib.html

As for 180 tailwheels, I have used all the ones mentioned. Stewart basically summed it up, can't add much. Use the one that fits your mission and/or budget best.

Standard 8in works great for most strips, esp with smaller tires. It does get banged up on the rough strips and sinks in the soft.

10in is a small improvement and a bit more robust, good for any strips and most off airport.

Wide BB or gar-aero tailwheel good compromise for moderate off-airport, little more prone to shimmy and wear but will keep rolling resistance down, allowing you to preserve your prop.

The big 14in XP, like any extreme has major compromises. It will shimmy badly - but ONLY if not properly set up and maintained (though admittedly its a bit of black magic to get them set up correctly sometime.) It also slows you down the most in the air and is the most expensive. But for serious working off-airport it is hands down the best! Very tough and the rolling resistance is MUCH reduced in serious soft. Even though its not wider than the BB, the extra height really helps. For rough stuff, well the tailwheel is tough but does transfer more energy to the airframe I think. That can be mitigated to an extent by pilot technique, ie keeping the tail up when you can.

Personally, I use a 14in XP in the summer with bushwheels, change to an 8in stock with 8.00s or 8.50s in the winter, and add a tailski if working soft snow.

I've got a 14xp on the back of my 180 and have never had any thing else. I'm wondering if anyone has real figures on how much airspeed you lose compared to 8 & 10 inch rear tail wheels. 850 x 6 mains if that makes any difference. TIA

No real numbers specific to the tailwheel in my memory bank but I do remember when I changed from a 3400-8" to the XP 14" the speed decrease was surprising. Switching back and forth from 850s/26" Goodyears/29" Bushwheels made less difference. In winter I used to change from 29s and the XP back to 850s and the 8" anticipating skis and I always enjoyed the higher airspeed and improved ground handling, which I attributed mostly to the tailwheel. The difference between 850s and the 8" combo versus 29s and the XP at high power level cruise was around 30 mph.

No real numbers specific to the tailwheel in my memory bank but I do remember when I changed from a 3400-8" to the XP 14" the speed decrease was surprising. Switching back and forth from 850s/26" Goodyears/29" Bushwheels made less difference. In winter I used to change from 29s and the XP back to 850s and the 8" anticipating skis and I always enjoyed the higher airspeed and improved ground handling, which I attributed mostly to the tailwheel. The difference between 850s and the 8" combo versus 29s and the XP at high power level cruise was around 30 mph.

Wow that would be attributing at least 15mph to the XP tailwheel in my experience. I just put the BBW on my 180 running 29 BW. Will be interesting to see what my speed penalty is moving from 6" tw. I did remove the coffee can sized beacon so hoping no speed loss.

Just heard the BBW is 10% off right now when you mention BCP website. Info is on that site. Hope this helps someone...unfortunately I was a month early.

One complaint I had with the 14" XP on my 185 was the increase in steering effort. It was very noticeable on out grass strip. Switching to a 10" Alaska Airframes one made a big difference.
T

One complaint I had with the 14" XP on my 185 was the increase in steering effort. It was very noticeable on out grass strip. Switching to a 10" Alaska Airframes one made a big difference.
T

Tom,
How much difference in shimmy on tarmac/paved runways between the 14" and 10" ?
Thanks,
John

I still like 'coffee grinder'. Always makes me smile when I hear one being powered up.

Web
I saved the one from the Cub rebuild to use as a hanger door going up alarm. Amoung various other instances, Pierce thought I was nuts for wanting it... Now if I could just find a WWII Submarine Dive alarm I'll have down covered!

Back