• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cessna 180 Tailwheel Possibilities

DSCN3442_sm.jpg
Desser representative at the Fedex Tradeshow 1.5 weeks ago said that was a bad batch of Aero Classic 400-4s

He is doing something about it he said. Embarrassing. But he said he is acting on this.

DSCN3439_sm.jpg

There are posts on this site from 2014 that talk about Aero Classic tires that cracked in less than a year. I installed a new Aero Classic 6 ply 10x3.5-4 tire on my Seabee in mid December 2016. In April 2017 I noticed the sidewalls were cracked. It had only been taxied a few minutes since December because the plane is not in annual. Last week I saw that it is also cracked and split open in the tread grooves all the way around the entire circumference. Completely unairworthy. The Aero Classic 10 inch tires are junk.

Attachments

• DSCN3442_sm.jpg
    DSCN3442_sm.jpg
    651.7 KB · Views: 1,040
  • DSCN3439_sm.jpg
    DSCN3439_sm.jpg
    673.6 KB · Views: 1,060
SeaBee. Welcome to the website

Thanks.
Having a hard time finding a high load 10x4 tire for the Seabee. It has 500+ lbs on it when empty. I thought the 6 ply Aero Classic would be the answer, but it looks like they fall apart shortly after you put air in them.

I wonder what the outcome of the Aero Classic 404 tire “debacle” was, after the factory rep promised action on durability issues...
I am still deciding on a tailwheel for frequent Idaho strips and Alaska off airport ops next summer. The glider tire tw setup seemed about right for me, but not with the checking/cracking tires!

Thanks.
Having a hard time finding a high load 10x4 tire for the Seabee. It has 500+ lbs on it when empty. I thought the 6 ply Aero Classic would be the answer, but it looks like they fall apart shortly after you put air in them.

There is no requirement for a Tailwheel tire to be TSO, in fact there is no TSO for Tailwheel tired. I just saw some 8 ply 10x3.50x4 tires on eBay for about $35.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one is from Spruce, I think available at Desser maybe a better price?

AERO CLASSIC 10.00 SC 8 PLY CHANNEL TREAD AIRCRAFT TIRE
06-02958.jpg

(Click image for a larger view)

In Stock

bluestar.jpg

bluestar.jpg

bluestar.jpg

bluestar.jpg

bluestar.jpg

() review this

Part # 06-02958
Quantity:
$253.95/ea

Wow that would be attributing at least 15mph to the XP tailwheel in my experience. I just put the BBW on my 180 running 29 BW. Will be interesting to see what my speed penalty is moving from 6" tw. I did remove the coffee can sized beacon so hoping no speed loss.

BTV,
Did you ever figure out how much the 29's and BBW tailwheel cost you in speed penalty? I'm getting ready to put the same config on our 180.
J

There is an STC to use adapter rings and a commercial 10x3.50x4 tire and tube. About a $27 tire vs the $253 tire. The STC was RRRus Aircraft I think. That’s what I had on the Howard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my 185 at 23.5 square I see about 115-120 kits IAS with the 29" and big T/W. I usually fly around 2500'- 3500'.

On my 185 at 23.5 square I see about 115-120 kits IAS with the 29" and big T/W. I usually fly around 2500'- 3500'.
With the Aerocet cargo pod, 8.50 mains and stock tailwheel, I typically see 128-129kts., 23”, 2350rpm at 4K’. I imagine that I will lose another 10-12kts with the 29’s and BBW tailwheel. That’s with an MT 2-blade prop.
The cargo pod robbed 2-3 kts., but gives back a lot in utility.
Ugh. That’s going to make for long 2x/yr flights from Maine to Anchorage...
Mayhaps the PPonk will help a little. 60-70 more horses.

BTV,
Did you ever figure out how much the 29's and BBW tailwheel cost you in speed penalty? I'm getting ready to put the same config on our 180.
J

At least 17 mph, probably closer to 20. When flying up high in Colorado the penalty seems to be less than down low. I trued 140 mph on big tires and am now back on 8.50 dessers and 10" tw doing 160.

With the Aerocet cargo pod, 8.50 mains and stock tailwheel, I typically see 128-129kts., 23”, 2350rpm at 4K’. I imagine that I will lose another 10-12kts with the 29’s and BBW tailwheel. That’s with an MT 2-blade prop.
The cargo pod robbed 2-3 kts., but gives back a lot in utility.
Ugh. That’s going to make for long 2x/yr flights from Maine to Anchorage...
Mayhaps the PPonk will help a little. 60-70 more horses.

The trip to PANC and back is part of the fun for me.. I’ve done it lots of times, including 3 times in my Cub from New Hampshire. Doing it again this July with a friend in another Cub and we’re planning on taking our time to see what we can see....

Done the trip up from Alb to anc three times , pa20, 180& 185. Now looking at bring a Husky down from ANC this Sept or Oct and don't look forward to it. Just too long for me.

Maybe I’ll run into you (figuratively). I’ll be in Homer the whole month of August.. sorry for the thread drift..

Back