Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aileron Cable - is this Okay?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike so what you are saying is , cut the cable to length put a eye in one end , feed the other end through the wing and when it comes out have the cable marked so you know where to put the eye on the dead end ?
    Gerry Marcil

Every day spent flying is a great day !

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C-FIJK View Post
    Mike so what you are saying is , cut the cable to length put a eye in one end , feed the other end through the wing and when it comes out have the cable marked so you know where to put the eye on the dead end ?
    No

Cut end off original cable, splice on new cable or a scrap. Pull out old cable. Make a new one using the one you removed for length. Do not crimp 2nd end. Now splice this new one on and pull it back in.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Gerry
    To do the heat shrink splice: Place a clean, cut, end of the new (or sacrificial) cable, butted up against a clean, cut end of the original cable. Slide a piece of heat shrink over this arraingement so that there is about 3 to 4 inches (or a bit more, if you prefer) of heat shrink on each side of the butt ends. I prefer the heat shrink with adhesive on the inner walls for this. Heat the shrink thoroughly to reduce the size and make the glue flow, then let it cool for a couple of minutes. Now GENTLY pull the orhenginal cable out while a helper feeds the new cable in. Be careful when pulling the splice around pulleys and through fairleads. Once the new cable is in place, crimp on the appropriate ends. It's not difficult. Up here, the only time people cut fabric for new cables is when bad things have already happened.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    Why would you need to remove fabric??

Cut, heat shrink new cable to old, pull it in gently.

If you are good you get it all cut to proper length before pulling in the final piece .....

If you are not gentle you break the heat shrink or pull it off cable and your life gets sad fast....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Fun fact on the early carbon cubs and sport cubs the balance cable is one piece and goes through the flap torque tube. That’s a fun one to replace. They got smart on the later carbon cubs and had a connection in the left wing a couple ribs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Aileron Cable - is this Okay?

Quote Originally Posted by fancypants View Post
    Gerry,

I did not remove any fabric to replace my aileron cables. As Mike mentions above, it's possible to feed the new uncrimped cable into place without major disassembly.

That said, if I were to do it over again I might just buy the pre-fabricated cables from Univair. Since I was replacing all of the pulleys at the same time, my recollection is that it would not have been much more trouble to snake the finished cables through the wings. That was a while back, so I might be forgetting something.
    If the pulleys are out you can fish a spliced cable through. I was told Univair tests all there cables as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, not really possible to pull test cables if you fabricate in place. I think when I added it all up with the cost of the special piper forks, cable, thimbles, and nicopress sleeves it was pretty close to the cost of the fabricated Univair cables.

If you do decide to make them yourself, be sure to check your crimps with a go/no-go gauge or micrometer. I don't have the measurements handy, but they should be easy to find. Let me know if you need to borrow a crimper, I ended up with a couple surplus ones off of ebay.