• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Paint Schemes

m1fan

Just curious, for those of you who are building experimental SC's (or restoring certified) and plan to use original paint schemes, where do you find them and their corresponding dimensions? Thanks for the responses.

V/R

m1fan

Doesn't anyone do their own paint anymore?

Simple answer....if that's what it's called... Applying the first top coat today. Base color is Juneau white. Three other colors to use... How/where...not a clue? Daughter mailed grid paper, art paper, pencils and three colored. Purple, green and silver. I need ideas as well....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keep the scheme simple if you plan on flying on/off beaches scattered with driftwood and narrow strips lined with willows. Patches are easier to match.

Ah...thanks......curves on metal. Straight on fabric......any curves on fabric...out of harms way.

Doesn't anyone do their own paint anymore?

you mean a unique design??? bad idea, always someone with a camera or video of you looking at something, legal or not... you still have to deal with all the grief they stir up......

best to just be another read & white cub with factory design & small numbers

Actually, I should have said it but I meant factory designs. Dave suggested in the 3rd post that the Cub Club has all of these designs and dimensions, but I've seen at least one of their "detailed" plans and was less than impressed (found here in post #7: http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?37207-paint-schemes). So unless they have changed their ways since 2010, I won't be doing any business with them. Are there other sources for factory paint schemes, or does everyone use an already covered Super Cub as an example? Thanks.

m1fan

I have found that the exotic or as my wife calls them "busy" paint schemes tend to get old really fast. You may get the WOW factor for the first year or so but after that it just gets to be old. Besides I like paint schemes like my mind SIMPLE.

M1Fan

Prior to 1955 the paint schemes changed every year but they were rather simple and uninspiring. Usually the aircraft was all one color with a single simple stripe.

P1020965.jpg

This is 1955. It has pretty good dimensions on the drawing.

P1020964.jpg

This is 1956. Again, dimensions are on the drawing.

I do not have, nor does the Cub Club, a drawing for the 1957 Scheme.

P1020963.jpg

This is 1958. Very detailed dimensions on the drawing.

P1020961.jpg

This is 1959. Dimensions are on the drawing.

P1020960.jpg

This is 1960. Dimensions are on the drawing.

P1020962.jpg

This is 1961. Dimensions are on the drawing.

P1020959.jpg

This is 1962 until and through 1976. No dimensions on this drawing.

I believe that 1977 may have had a different scheme.

1978-1982_Paint_Scheme.jpg

This is 1978 - 1982 I believe (thanks to captain Ron)

From 1983 to 1987 production was ceased. When production resumed in 1988 and until the end they were the classic yellow with a black stripe. If anyone has drawings from years not represented here I would LOVE to have a copy. Thank you.

Hope this helps

Bill

Last edited:
Tough to beat the '62-'76 scheme. White on red, red on white, red on yellow or yellow on red.

I agree with Kase and Mike

If it is all yellow with a black stripe you just narrowed the field down to a Cub. White with red trim could be ANYTHING.......

(Thoughts from a previous post)

"I have probably written of this before but my feelings are that you do not want to do anything unusual on the paint scheme for a couple of reasons. One, heaven forbid, but you might have to sell someday and your perfect paint scheme may be ugly to everyone else. Keep it simple and nice. And, two, with the FAA, you are guilty until you prove yourself innocent. If they receive a complaint they have to investigate it. About 90% of all airplanes are white with red trim. So the complaint sounds like "I saw an airplane fly too low" FAA - "What did it look like?" Complainer - "It was white with red trim" Bottom line - dead end. That could be anything .....a C-172, C-152, Taylorcraft, Champ, C-170, Etc. Don't make the call - "Oh it was teal green with aqua stripes in a sunburst scheme with a yellow checkerboard tail". You may as well paint your name on it in big letters.
I don't plan on doing anything illegal but I don't want to have to try to convince the Feds I was legal (my word against Joe Farmer). Better that it ends with the phone call. I'm not saying the Feds are bad guys but they have a job to do. Why go down that road if you don't have to? I do know of one case where that exact thing happened. Someone complained that four airplanes scared his cows, and he got the large tail number from one airplane. The other three went totally free and the gent with large tail numbers eventually prevailed but it took a lot of time and money in lawyer fees. My opinion only. So my paint scheme will look like this..." like the 1962 to 1978 scheme.

Bill

I like any of those classic scheme but if you live anywere cold anything but white is good ,i found that after repainting my white and red Cub to yellow and black ( i love yellow 8) ) that it was the first one to melt its snow covered wings for me to go fly event if its not sunny out .

Will use the 1961 paint scheme...was thinking about using the example on Javron's home page. The three color choices I have are light lime green metallic.... Brides choice. Might be close to matching the green tint polycarbonate . Purple and Silver metallics. 3" letters vertical on the rudder. Will paint the interior fabric silver to fit with the gray leather and Kydex interior. Just finished washing down the primer. Vent fan on...waiting for the fuselage to dry.....color coat finally! Yute Air should be in this afternoon with enough reducer to finish all the panting... Only have 1/2 gallon remaining.

My notes say that the 1977 scheme is the same as the 1978-1982 without the lower stripe.

I've (hopefully) attached the drawing for 1978!

Attachments

• 60700.pdf
    204.3 KB · Views: 590
I added the drawing (as best I could) from Captain Ron to my post above for folks that might search this topic in the future. Thank you Captain Ron.

Bill

Piper Drawing

I masked this Cub up using the 1959 scheme drawing from the Cub Club. Worked for me.

I also had the 1959 Piper handbook to refer to as well, which had a picture of a PA-18A in the ag section in this scheme.

I did make a couple of little changes. I left the scribble off the tail, because that's just what it looks like to me. I carried the trim line past the registration, which brings the rego into the scheme a bit better. And I made the letters 10 inch instead of the 12 inch specified on the drawing because 10 inch was the smallest we are allowed in New Zealand. I am pleased with the changes I made.

Andrew.

Attachments

• 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
1957PA-18.jpg

This is a copy of the sales literature for 1957. (Thanks to jnorris)

pa-18-105_1950.jpg

This is 1950 according to Pilawt on this site

Last edited:
Bill, Mine is a 57 painted in 57.

Which way to Oshkosh.jpg

Believe it or not, when its in the air, say a half mile away, it looks mainly white..

Attachments

• Which way to Oshkosh.jpg
    Which way to Oshkosh.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9,033
1977 Cub with 1978 to 1982 Piper paint scheme. Stripes narrowed and tapered to look better then fat original Piper stripes.

IMG_0833.JPG

PA18_at_Big_Lake.JPG

Also used Insignia white base instead of Juneau white. Juneau white has a shot of black tint in it and is more of a gray / white. Red is Madrid Red.

Take care,

Crash

Attachments

• IMG_0833.JPG
    IMG_0833.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 369
  • PA18_at_Big_Lake.JPG
    PA18_at_Big_Lake.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Dark leading edges helps melt off ice/frost.

If you are indeed in Platinum, I would suggest you consider darker to absorb the suns rays.

Or, copy Eaton's cub, including a set of velcro numbers and just hand everyone his phone number;-)

The one comment to remember, you will need to repair it some day, even if it was someone that bumped it with a pack. The less 'fancy' the easier it is to make the patch look good.

Yuba dredge built in 1937
0c0d5e74c882cfa2ba7438601916375b.jpg

2001 was my last year as GM of the mine. Made operational after sitting idle for 16 years.

Dark leading edges helps melt off ice/frost.

If you are indeed in Platinum, I would suggest you consider darker to absorb the suns rays.

Or, copy Eaton's cub, including a set of velcro numbers and just hand everyone his phone number;-)

The one comment to remember, you will need to repair it some day, even if it was someone that bumped it with a pack. The less 'fancy' the easier it is to make the patch look good.

Indeed I am here... Google Platinum Alaska. Wikipedia.....you'll find me in the in the government section....

When not in the hanger...did have wing covers. Sold them to a national guard pacer owner in Bethel. Installing crosswind stol tips and a PA18 tail....kept the engine cover. Will call the gal in Eagle River with wing dimensions when I'm done.....to order another set. May paint the leading edge...haven't decided.

My daughter and I went through this just last week. Used a drawing I had as a reference but it had no dimensions so we interpolated.
20150414_065602.jpg
Looked at another Cub to get an idea on the stripes. I was trying to lay out the Delta on the tail while it was on my rotator without the rudder. Tab suggested using my airplane to layout on so that is what we did taking angles off the drawing.
20150409_112758.jpg

Attachments

• 20150414_065602.jpg
    20150414_065602.jpg
    567.7 KB · Views: 4,854
  • 20150409_112758.jpg
    20150409_112758.jpg
    754.7 KB · Views: 4,910
After using mine to get it right we made a template and laid it all out. Another Montana State Bird.
20150409_155823.jpg

Attachments

• 20150409_155823.jpg
    20150409_155823.jpg
    592.7 KB · Views: 4,667
Last edited:
Back