• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Paint Schemes

Everybody quit wasting your time, Steve E's paint job is king. Best looking PA18 on this site.:2gunfire:

Mark,

Platinum was one place I did not make out there. I was headed that way and the fog turned me around, and headed back up the river.

The dark not only helps when overnight, but will also help shed ice in flight. I had black leading edges and it always amazed me how fast they would clear compared to all the other sections.

Maybe some time I can make it up there. Looked like a cool place to check out.

Mark,

Platinum was one place I did not make out there. I was headed that way and the fog turned me around, and headed back up the river.

The dark not only helps when overnight, but will also help shed ice in flight. I had black leading edges and it always amazed me how fast they would clear compared to all the other sections.

Maybe some time I can make it up there. Looked like a cool place to check out.

Ah....for some reason I was thinking about defrosting while stationary. Rocket flew up yesterday with a walking foot upholstery machine... His PA22 is all jet black.... Told me...over Togiak had two small clear spots on the windshield to see through... It's hard for me to imagine how a dark surface will have much temperature rise in flight over light one...when it's cloudy?
Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm thinking about having my VG's be a contrasting color to the wing leading edges, I know I've seen it but does anyone have a picture that way... White on Red?

So I painted mine using the 1957 sales lit as the only source for reference. I had to guess on some of the scale but it all came together. It's one of the best schemes in my opinion. Pulling the lines straight with the right pitch and angle takes two people,one to tape and one to sight. It's not the most complex scheme but it is detailed- part of which I think makes it one of the better schemes.

I use a laser level like this to project my lines so the curves of the fuselage doesn't distort the straight line. http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/levels/16-in-laser-level-with-swivel-head-69259.html
image_20772.jpg

You keep that up he's gonna have to send it back to Charlie to get the head room enalrged, again...

Last edited:
For the sake of having a resource of this sort of stuff in one thread, I scanned in the photo of the 1960 scheme from the handbook. So you can see how Piper intended it to look.

Andrew.

Attachments

• 1960 C.jpeg
    1960 C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 240
Some details from the same handbook which might help if you were masking up this scheme.

Attachments

• 1960 Tail.jpeg
    1960 Tail.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 191
  • 1960 Cowl.jpeg
    1960 Cowl.jpeg
    798.6 KB · Views: 196
You keep that up he's gonna have to send it back to Charlie to get the head room enlarged, again...

Yup, he might have to move to a -12 just to get in the door!

Nice factory picture, 4" rims and oil cooler in front! Love the round tips.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Cub junkie
Everybody quit wasting your time, Steve E's paint job is king. Best looking PA18 on this site.:2gunfire:

End of Discussion!!!

Kevin, I always thought you were very smart when it came to Cubs and considered you a friend. Now that's out the window, and I know you're blind as a bat

Steve, now there you go mixing things up again. It's a 57, painted when YOU were 57 (of which I am not, yet)!

Last edited:

Super Cub "95" in the 1959 scheme from the handbook. How Mr Piper intended.

Attachments

• 1959 Super Cub 95.jpeg
    1959 Super Cub 95.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 229

And a PA-18A from the same handbook.

Also a close up of that plane showing the scribble on the tail. Check out all the Cubs waiting to be delivered in the background.

Andrew.

Attachments

• 1959 PA-18A.jpeg
    1959 PA-18A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 235
  • 1959 Tail.jpeg
    1959 Tail.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 343
Back