• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Building and finishing my 2+2/PA 14

Marty57

PATRON
Nipomo, Ca
I thought I would start a new thread regarding my 2+2 build. As many of you know, I have been scratch building this project for a long time now; that's how these things go some times. I feel like I have turned a corner on the project, moving from the "fabrication" stage to the "completion stage"; what ever that may be. My recent posts have shown the completion of my wings and other topics related to my build. I thought it would be easier to just keep everything in one post as I move forward toward first flight. First, some background of where I am at.

thread start photo.jpg

As you can see, my wings are done and sitting on a rack allowing me to move them outside as space is needed for other activities. The wings still need fuel tanks and tank covers along with control cables. Although wood, the wings are basically stock Super Cub wings. The flaps use stock Super Cub bell crank and related hardware. The flap handle will likely be between the two front seats but that still needs to be done. The fuselage is basically complete less some final welding. I need to weld in the necessary bushings and such for the control cable pulleys, trim and brakes. I also need to weld in some tabs for the floor and other interior items. The tail feathers are finished and primed in Stewarts Ekopoxy. The rudder is covered and awaiting rib stitching and Ekofill. Ailerons and flaps are in the family room for all to see. I have an engine mount from a PA 12 that I need to repair and reinforce for the O290D2 that I will be using. Why that engine choice? I got the engine from a friend's Pacer when he decided to upgrade to a constant speed prop. I helped pull the engine after properly pickling it for long term storage. I could not turn down the price. A second overhauled O290D2 presented itself to me; again at a great price. I now have two engines. I also have a prop, two carbs, four mags, radios, etc; lots of parts all over the house. This is a long term project; it's all about time and money. I should be in the $25K range when finished, including the second engine. It can be done, it just takes lots of time.

So now what? I have been working on the torque tube for the side-by-sticks. I welded up the assembly and discovered that bushings on the fuselage that I welded up about 4 years ago weren't parallel to each other so out they came and needed to be replaced. This is an example of the type of build this project is. Unlike the quick build projects available to the EAB builders; there is no step-by-step builders manual. I have about 20 pages of prints from Wag Aero along with the many drawings I have printed from Christian's site. That plus lots of digging here at Supercub.org had made this possible. So, I drilled out the bushings, fabricated new ones, jigged everything in place and did some tack welding. I than realized that I needed to remove a gear leg, put the fuselage on it's side, and weld it from the bottom. This worked out pretty easy. A couple pic's ....

replace bushings.jpg first fit.jpg

bushings welded.jpg

With the welding complete, I fitted up the torque tube assembly. Everything fit as it should. I still need to do some honing and polishing to get a lighter feel to the stick but there isn't any binding at all.

fit up complete.jpg

Next step will be attaching the left wing for the first time to begin the process of running the cables. I need to make a few pulley supports first and than I'll be ready for the wing. By turning my fuselage toward the garage door I can attach one wing at a time in my garage/shop.

That's where I'm at. I'll try to keep up with this post with my progress and with the many questions still ahead.

Thanks for all the help along the way; I could not have done this with out all the assistance from the great guys here at Supercub.org. I'll keep you posted with progress reports and with many, many more questions.

Marty

Attachments

• thread start photo.jpg
    thread start photo.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 423
  • replace bushings.jpg
    replace bushings.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 355
  • first fit.jpg
    first fit.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 297
  • bushings welded.jpg
    bushings welded.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 325
  • fit up complete.jpg
    fit up complete.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Marty, I have a completed WagAero 2+2/PA -18 ON Amphib floats. It is a sweet airplane. Keep plugging along. It took me 9 years.
Great to see your progress. Jeff

Marty, being retired, no excuse for not working 12 hours a day, I want to see you and it at NH this year

Don't I wish that were true Tim! I wonder sometimes how I had time for my Teaching job before retirement . I'm plugging along. ��
Marty

Planning ahead on the next couple of steps down the line is a big part of this project. I'm waiting on some pulleys so thinking ahead to the engine mount. I have a PA 12 engine mount that needs some work. I need to add the beef up to the lower tubes and repair one upper tube. What I'd like to see is how my mount meets the specs of the drawings. Does any one out there have a copy of the PA12 engine mount drawings? It sure would help to get a look at the drawings to see if my mount is close and usable before I re-work it.

Thanks,
Marty

Marty, how about just build up a new mount the same way I did mine? It really was not a big deal. Also you can put 0-degree thrust in it. Just a thought. Love the progress!

Christian,
That's really the way I would like to go rather than repairing the one I have. Unfortunately, I don't have a run-out O290 or O320 case that I can use to jig it up the way you built yours. My engine is the stock rubber lord mount (non-dynafocial) type so I would need a case to match. I believe a narrow deck O320 has the same bolt pattern as my O290D2. If I could find one that would not cost a bunch to ship I would much rather build new. Do you know of any donor cases out there that are other wise scrap?

Marty

Marty, this is the drawing that came with the paper work for the PA-12 O290D2 engine STC.

Attachments

• PA-12 engine mount.pdf
    558.8 KB · Views: 286
Christian,
... Do you know of any donor cases out there that are other wise scrap?

Marty

They are out there. Check with your local EAA chapter and bum around the local airfields. You'll find one. Do you intend to tear down one of your two engines? Why not use that case? You won't damage it at all using as a jig.

Christian,
That's really the way I would like to go rather than repairing the one I have. Unfortunately, I don't have a run-out O290 or O320 case that I can use to jig it up the way you built yours. My engine is the stock rubber lord mount (non-dynafocial) type so I would need a case to match. I believe a narrow deck O320 has the same bolt pattern as my O290D2. If I could find one that would not cost a bunch to ship I would much rather build new. Do you know of any donor cases out there that are other wise scrap?

Marty

Marty,

If you are anywhere near S. Oregon you can swing by and borrow one of mine.... I do not have any that are scrap so I would need to have it back..

Brian.

Brian,
I'm in So. Cal so I would need to ship but thanks. I'll see if there are any around here first.

Christian,
I wont be tearing down either of these engines but will check around the EAA chapters first to see whats lurking around out there; good idea.

Frogdad,
Thanks for the drawing, that's what I was looking for. I can check my engine mount and maybe make a jig from that and the drawing if I can't find a case near here.

Thanks guys,
Marty

It's been a while since I updated my progress. Big step today; I hung one of the wings for the first time .... and it fit!
wing hung 1.jpg

Time to get moving now. With the wing hung I can now locate the control cables and pulleys to finish up the fuselage and get it ready to paint. In the past few months I finished up the control stick assembly and control linkage for the elevators. I also purchased everything I need tor the electric trim from Jay at Javron. I also purchased his aluminum pulleys and lots of tabs and such to finish out the fuselage. I decided not to build up my own sealed struts and bought a set from Univair. My reasoning was simply time. The time to build a set was just too high at this stage of the game. If I'm going to finish this up any time soon I need to decide what's the best use of my time. Building the struts was going to take me too much time and I needed to move forward. The new struts are in and they are very nicely made; glad I made the decision. Lets see, what else? Tail feathers are primed and the rudder is covered. Purchased B&C starter and alternator, and I have some instruments on the way. I have also decided to go with two Pmags so I'm getting ready to purchase those also. I still need to weld up an engine mount. To do that, I need to find a run out, trashed O235, O290, or O320 conical mount case that I can use to set up and jig the engine mount with the angles needed. Still looking for a case ...... any one have one out there?

So here's another pictures of the wing in place along with pictures of the control stick assembly that I recently finished. Lots more to come on a more regular basis as I move along through the many, many steps remaining. I'll have lots of questions as I move forward.

Marty57

wing hung 2.jpg sticks 1.jpgsticks 2.jpg

Attachments

• wing hung 1.jpg
    wing hung 1.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 328
  • wing hung 2.jpg
    wing hung 2.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 552
  • sticks 1.jpg
    sticks 1.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 334
  • sticks 2.jpg
    sticks 2.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 314
Marty, Use one of the engines which you already have. It doesn't need to be just a case. Just protect it.

What about buying a used serviceable PA12 engine mount? If it doesn't fit your firewall spool's perfect it would be faster to modify than build from scratch.

I do have a PA12 engine mount that needs a tube repaired; I can start from there. Using an empty case would allow me to adjust angles better as I could run a string dead center through the case. It's not a big deal; if I can't find a case I'll use one of my engines to get everything as close as I can. I have time, lots to do. That's why I'm kind of looking for the case while working on other steps. Today I'm making a few adjustment and fitting the new struts to check on alignment and such. I hope to get on with the pulleys tomorrow.
Marty57

Marty

I had the control stick aluminum blocks machined to accept roller bearing rollers to make it a little smoother.

Jim

Jim,
Nice idea. My sticks came out pretty smooth. How did the bearings fit into the block; were they split?
Marty

Last edited:
Jim,
Got the picture now, that makes sense. That's something I could always change down the line if too much friction crops up. Right now, with no rigging, the sticks are pretty smooth but time will tell.
Thanks,
Marty

Marty,

When I built mine I used a laser off a .22 pistol instead of the string routine. I made a cardboard mount in the crank hole and two pieces of fine orange fly line to make an "X" on the rear of the case. I shot the laser across the fishing line and moved the case around until it his the "0" point in the rear of the fuselage. It was very easy to do and I think was more accurate than the string. Just a thought for you.

Lowrider,
Same idea here, Christian did the same thing on his build using strings. That's why I need a case to really set this up correctly. I have an engine mount that needs one top tube replaced but no good way to check and jig without open case. You happen to have a conical mount o235-0320 case around?
Marty

My case is dynafocal and I used the one I'm rebuilding. You might try some of the used parts guys. They seem to get a lot of crash planes that will have unserviceable engines. That's where I got my mount ring. I actually saw an old beat up case for something at our dump aluminum recycle pile awhile back so they are around.

You might try calling Divco and see if they have a reject/red tagged case around. I know when I had a case red tagged the guy told me it was so bad it wasn't worth the fifty bucks to ship it back. I had it shipped back anyway and I've used that case set to build about five engine mounts since.

I'll try Divco. I tried Lycon up in Visalia but they never got back to me after I talked to them on the phone. I may try them again when I'm up that way. Will see what Divco says, thanks for the idea to call them.

Marty

The next step after hanging the wing involved running the aileron cables and the pulleys. I used a 1/8" cord to simulate the cable and used CAD to draw up the necessary mounts; some of the pulleys will attach with bushings. The plans are very lacking in the area of cable placement. The drawing vaguely shows one pulley at the wing root but that would have brought the cable across the corner of the door opening. I decided to follow the set up that Tim has on his 2+2; same set up as the 2+2 prototype. I did add one pulley mid way down the side of the fuselage. The plans call for this cable direction change to be done with a fairlead but I felt it was way past the recommended angle change and used a small pulley instead. To hold the pulleys in place during fabrication I welded a welding rod to the fitting or bushing and than use either hose clamps or C-clamps for placement. This way I can have all the pulleys secure as I move down the line building the system up to the control sticks. I can remove the pulley without disturbing the location for welding. I will remove the wing before I weld the top fitting in place and than make final adjustments to the other pulleys as I weld in place. I next have to do the same for the process for the flaps. I have decided on a traditional flay handle between the seats for simplicity. I will have to repeat these tasks for the second wing but that will be simply mirroring the first.

Marty

IMG_5350.jpg IMG_5344.jpg IMG_5346.jpg

IMG_5346.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5350.jpg
    IMG_5350.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_5344.jpg
    IMG_5344.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_5346.jpg
    IMG_5346.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_5349.jpg
    IMG_5349.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 202
Marty, let us know how that pulley works out instead of a fairlead. I have a fairlead there that has worked for well over 2k hours but I to think it's to much angle change. I think a pulley is the way to go. I'll get a picture of what I have tomorrow.

Tim

Marty, Make sure that pulley remains very free to rotate. A small pulley with a small angle change such as this has a tendency to stop rotating so that the cable rubs a groove in it. It doesn't take much for a pulley which does not have a high load against it to stop rotating. This also wears a flat area on the cable causing broken strands.

Tim,
I have a picture of your cables inside the cockpit that I took at NH; very helpful. I tried to do just one pulley up top but it wasn't going to work well. The plans show one pulley but knowing your history I felt two were the way to go. Skywagon, I'll keep an eye on the small pulley; I think it will work well. The angle is about 20-30 degrees, more than the same pulley on the top of the spar to the aileron. I used the same pulley for the fuselage. It moves nicely with just the cord so I'm pretty happy with it. I know Tim's set up works but I'm trying to get as light a feel to the stick as possible. Time will tell. Next up is the flap cables. I have some good pictures of the Javron Cub flap set up and will be be doing it the same other than the flap handle between the seats.

Marty

Back