• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

aircraft outlawed for sheep hunting in AK??

OK folks,

Board of Game Vice-chair Nate Turner, who help push 207 into the regs last year is up for reconfirmation THIS WEEK in Juneau. I just found out that with Mr. Turner (and the new nominee filling an empty seat), 4 out of 7 of the Board of Game will be current or retired guides! No hope to repeal 207 with that makeup. Those of us in AK have an opportunity to do 2 things in the next day or two:

1. Call your Juneau-types and help them understand what Mr. Turner and the guide-oriented BOG have been up. Have them OPPOSE Mr. Turner's re-confirmation and restore a non-commercial balance to the BOG. He is up for a full-floor vote this Friday, 4/15/16.

2. get on the horn and call Alaska Airmen's Association! where the heck are these guys?? They were a little slow to the initial fight against 207 last spring, but they finally showed up in the form of a legal brief written by one of their attorneys opposing the law. Now they have an opportunity to oppose the re-confirmation of Nate Turner, possibly reshape the BOG to repeal 207 and it's crickets? I let my membership expire. I'll renew when i am convinced they've figured out Alaska flying isn't about nice raffle cubs sitting in hangars, its about being out there doing this stuff!

This is craziness.

OK folks,

Board of Game Vice-chair Nate Turner, who help push 207 into the regs last year is up for reconfirmation THIS WEEK in Juneau. I just found out that with Mr. Turner (and the new nominee filling an empty seat), 4 out of 7 of the Board of Game will be current or retired guides! No hope to repeal 207 with that makeup. Those of us in AK have an opportunity to do 2 things in the next day or two:

1. Call your Juneau-types and help them understand what Mr. Turner and the guide-oriented BOG have been up. Have them OPPOSE Mr. Turner's re-confirmation and restore a non-commercial balance to the BOG. He is up for a full-floor vote this Friday, 4/15/16.

2. get on the horn and call Alaska Airmen's Association! where the heck are these guys?? They were a little slow to the initial fight against 207 last spring, but they finally showed up in the form of a legal brief written by one of their attorneys opposing the law. Now they have an opportunity to oppose the re-confirmation of Nate Turner, possibly reshape the BOG to repeal 207 and it's crickets? I let my membership expire. I'll renew when i am convinced they've figured out Alaska flying isn't about nice raffle cubs sitting in hangars, its about being out there doing this stuff!

This is craziness.

***scratches head, trying to figure this post out..???***

Hi,
Regarding the Alaska Airmen's Association, they would not have taken any action if it would hadn't been for Rob Stone and Rob Stapleton acting; they were the force pushing for action. Hank Swan was supporting "the two Robs" and he resigned in protest as well as Terry Cartee, who is off the board as well. - Sad reality: There are many board members and executives there that do not really want any Government Advocacy (and if confronted they will give you lip service and badmouth those that demand action)... because of this I did let my membership expire longtime ago as I felt they had only interest in the trade-show and making money and building a great building for their NGO instead of using the money for advocacy or scholarships to get more young people into aviation...(- B.T.W.: written by one of their attorneys opposing the law= that was Rob Stone )
(... Just my few cents...might be worth nothin')
In contrast, I did manage to get two good official letters out of EAA national in regards to the 207. I personally testified against 207 and 70 on various occasions.
If Nate Turner from Nenana and others like him get to dominate the BOG, we as private pilots can expect to be excluded from hunting completely in the future, I strongly believe that will be the case.
Keep in mind that the Proposal 70 was already on the table; if enacted the 207 rules would be applied to all hunting in AK. - It was a pure anti-private-pilot-move by an individual from Fairbanks.
So each of us has to do what he can, do something against "the Agenda": call your politicians or ... we be playing outlawed tunes on outlawed pipes ...soon.
Regards from Anchorage.

Thanks for posting 907flyer
you are spot-on and thanks for writing your legislators!!!!!
this is what it takes (at minimum)
im on way to Juneau to hit in person
CMON EVERYBODY!!!! WRITE!

Well, it looks like the Alaska Airmen's Association decided today they are not going to do anything about it; no letter no nothing; only Rob Stone and Rob Stapleton wanted to act and do something. That's what I was told. That is why I am not a member of the organisation anymore.
Its up to us to act and contact our Legislators!
Regards,
Lars

Wait...people are still complaining about this? *sigh*..

Okay, some problem solving, all in the context of sheep hunting:

1) no resident limit
2) limit non-resident hunters via drawing (what? maybe 5 a year? - that works)
3) no non-resident registered guides. (if you don't/can't live here, then you don't/can't guide here - simple)
4) no scouting with an airplane (because really..that's not hunting anyway or do it before the season starts if you're too lazy to fair-chase a ram)

oh right, except there's this thing called money, which means common sense or logic will ever prevail at any level, be it: federal, state, or even the board of game.

If you have more money than the federal reserve, oh wait..hold on, there's none there. Umm..if you have more money than say, Trump (or Clinton, whoever you may identify with - I'm not here to judge)...you may be able to patch
this problem with whatever fix you deem worthy.

AkWing,

It is impossible to restrict out of state guides. That has been decided by the courts already.

But that does seem reasonable.

OK folks,

This is craziness.

He was just confirmed by a vote of 45 to 13.

AkWing,

It is impossible to restrict out of state guides. That has been decided by the courts already.

But that does seem reasonable.

Actually, they could require guides to live in the area in which they have assigned to hunt in. That would fly I believe.

But let's do it right. outlaw aircraft and land motorized vehicles for all sheep hunting, except on a government road. That will end it all and make them change the rules

How would anybody guide ANWR? There is no living there.

I would prefer not to restrict a guide's ability to work, I would expect the same from them though too.

How would anybody guide ANWR? There is no living there.

I would prefer not to restrict a guide's ability to work, I would expect the same from them though too.

I didn't think anyone would confuse resident to mean local??????? sigh..............

Tim

I was referring to AKTango's suggestion of living/residing in the Area (GMU unit?) they wish to guide. I do not think there can be an AK residency requirement to be a guide. Maybe there could be a if you can not hunt it you can not guide it requirement though; that would be pretty thinly skirting the issue.

This is just the way it may be, god forbid if mail (bypass mail, or the Alaska Commercial Co. distribution system) is axed. Everyone better get used to the mighty C207 again. No Sheep, no mail, no plane.

Back