• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Kenmore STC Engine Mount Tube Modification??

sflyboy

Lancaster, CA
Can anyone with a PA-12 Kenmore STC share how they did the engine mount tube modification? Did you split the tube and take it all the way to the other tubes in the cluster or do you leave it offset a little? Thanks Shane

I don't really understand your question. You basically double up the tube from cluster to cluster is how I have done.

What is the sleeve thickness. I have to modify an original mount to rectify a mis-aligned mount built by Kasola years ago. The owner can't find the instructions but has the STC. Seems some rouge FAA inspector said his sleeved engine mount wwasn't legal so he bought one from Kasola. Had to adjust the cowling etc. The airplane never flew right after the new mount. I measured a stock mount and discovered Kasola's jig was screwed up and lowered the engine.

KAH 100-11 Tube-2 required. 4130, 7/8 x .057x18" long. Split tube and form over engine mount tubes. Trim ends to fit. Gas weld in place. That is the language on the drawing. Jim

Steve, yes that is my question. Do you go all the way to the cluster or do you stop 1/2" to 1" short of the cluster? I am assuming the reason for strengthening the tube is because the increased compression load on the tube at landing and the added sleeve is needed to keep the tube from buckling in the center. From an engineering analysis it wouldn't need to go to the cluster but I want to do what ever you guys have done in the past and tested over time.

Thank You
Shane

The tubes need to be coped to fit around the intersecting cluster tubes. If not the inside tube will fail whee you end the sleeve.

Steve,
Any pictures of the modification? I have a PA12 engine mount for my 2+2 that needs an upper tube replaced and also the modification would likely be a good idea I think. I'm using an O290D2 so I suspect the modification is necessary since I don't know what engine was on this mount. The two tubes that need to be replaced; at they just the two upper off the firewall? In the attached pictures, I'm holding the tube that needs to be replaced. Thanks.

mount 1.jpg mount 2.jpg

Marty

Attachments

• mount 1.jpg
    mount 1.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 181
  • mount 2.jpg
    mount 2.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 157
Marty

Its the lower tubes. I will send you a picture this weekend when I get my mount back from a friend who is doing the welding.

Shane

Shane,
That will really help, thanks. I thought it might be the lower but wasn't sure. A picture sure will help. I have to replace the upper tube as it's bent but that's pretty easy.

Thanks,
Marty

Here is how we did it. You'll notice that the sleeve tube is formed to fit the cluster. 31012013354.jpg

Attachments

• 31012013354.jpg
    31012013354.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 227
Bes,
That looks pretty easy to do, thanks. I also need to replace one upper tube so I need to figure out how to jig it in place to keep everything true.

Thanks,
Marty

Here's a couple of pictures from the actual Kenmore STC.

Attachments

• Mount-1.JPG
    Mount-1.JPG
    553.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Mount.JPG
    Mount.JPG
    669 KB · Views: 126
Thanks for the drawings; sure helps me as I decide what to do with my engine mount.
Marty57

Thanks for the drawings; sure helps me as I decide what to do with my engine mount.
Marty57
For what it's worth, I sent my mount to Kosala for overhaul and STC mod. It was right at a grand. No problem with the fit upon reinstalling.

Last edited:
Just got mine back from the welder
photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.JPG

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    683 KB · Views: 159
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    631.7 KB · Views: 148
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    700.1 KB · Views: 135
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 121
That sure looks nice! Very doable for sure. I think I'll give it a go on my mount before I think about building a new one. Great pictures of some nice welding.
Marty

Back