• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

FAA: You need a commercial ticket to post video on YouTube

Christina Young

Andover-Aeroflex, 12N
Unbelievable....

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-faa-says-you-cant-post-drone-videos-on-youtube

Yes, this is for a drone operator, but using the same logic they could extend it to all aircraft!

In response to this unconstitutional and draconian action which is absolutely repugnant to the 1st amendment, we need to hit back at the FAA where it counts -- right in their pensions! Please contact your Congress critters ASAP, and ask them to put a stop to this tyranny!

Agreed that the FAA tends to overreach.

I was told many years ago that the test for commercial activities is whether or not you "hold out" to the public. In other words, do you hang out a sign of some sort. In our case when we post flying vids, there is no way given to contact the photographer, nor is there an ad for flying services, nor a price posted, etc.

Having said that, I was also told that charging money was not the only way to collect compensation in the FAA's eyes. Simply building flight time can be viewed as compensation. I would argue that those of us not pursuing a flying job (hours not needed, different career already, already retired, etc) should not have flight time accumulation considered as compensation.

I would suggest contacting the AOPA or EAA and letting their legislative arms handle it. They know how to work an issue and speak with a pretty loud voice.

Tried taking that loophole in college with my local skydiving club - offered to fly their jump plane for free. They said no dice it is considered compensation - tried before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some one told me that flying a tow plane for gliders doesn't require a commercial? Anyway, I think the FAA sees their power possibly being taken away by Congress so they need to dream up stuff to do to justify all their manpower; so now they can go after YouTube! Just watch, next week you will need a sleep study to go out and buy a GoPro camera. :toilet

Marty57

Its all part of that big government that was voted in. This is part of fundamentally changing America. Bend over, more to follow.

There is a subtle difference between "big government" and out-of-control regulators. We had no real trouble in 1977, when our pattern was full of American students and if you stepped on a taxiway red lights did not go off at the NTSB.

Now, when we are at 59% of 1977 activity, we have two full time FAA guys in LA watching for taxiway incursions. We have ADS-B coming, and if you leave the runway or reject a takeoff you will be answering to an inspector. But if you need a field approval, that same inspector is simply too busy.

By the by, most of our student starts are foreigners, and those that are US Citizens appear to be wealthy enough to start in Cirrusi. I am doing my part - I have two students getting ready for sport licenses in a J-3.

It is wild how much popular videos can make especially if your are prolific. The worst part is there is a guy that posted a video he made at the Bluegrass Awards in Nashville a few years ago of Peter Rowan Bluegrass band performing the song I wrote called "The Raven" he makes more in royalties for his video than I make for writing the song and is not required to pay me 1 cent. As for Pandora and EVERY last one of the like such as iTunes rips off song writers like crazy. One month as a test I personally purchased 100 downloads of the raven (99.00) not 1 penny showed on the royalty statement. "con"gress sets the rules pertaining to everything from Pay to the calculation of royalties.

There is a subtle difference between "big government" and out-of-control regulators. We had no real trouble in 1977, when our pattern was full of American students and if you stepped on a taxiway red lights did not go off at the NTSB.

Now, when we are at 59% of 1977 activity, we have two full time FAA guys in LA watching for taxiway incursions. We have ADS-B coming, and if you leave the runway or reject a takeoff you will be answering to an inspector. But if you need a field approval, that same inspector is simply too busy.

By the by, most of our student starts are foreigners, and those that are US Citizens appear to be wealthy enough to start in Cirrusi. I am doing my part - I have two students getting ready for sport licenses in a J-3.

Do you have J3s for the SP check ride. I bought the one I am learning in but I was told last time I asked around that I would have to take a southern vacation for my check ride as there was not one examiner doing them here, hopefully it will change. thanks WW

Some one told me that flying a tow plane for gliders doesn't require a commercial?

Marty57

You are correct. Back around 1982 I spent a summer towing gliders in return for free glider time while I had the engine apart on my plane. That summer is when the FAA decided that was compensation, so I quit towing. Last year, the FAA changed their collective minds and are now allowing private pilots to tow gliders again. I have a couple of friends that are now doing so, and I have been asked, but don't have to time to help them out.

Local interpretation, or overall FAA guidance? I don't know.

-Cub Builder

You are correct. Back around 1982 I spent a summer towing gliders in return for free glider time while I had the engine apart on my plane. That summer is when the FAA decided that was compensation, so I quit towing. Last year, the FAA changed their collective minds and are now allowing private pilots to tow gliders again. I have a couple of friends that are now doing so, and I have been asked, but don't have to time to help them out.

Local interpretation, or overall FAA guidance? I don't know.

-Cub Builder
This sounds suspiciously as though the correct answer is "it depends". It seems to me that if the glider is being rented, which means that cash changes hands, then the tow pilot would need a commercial. If there were a bunch of glider owners with a tow plane and no cash was changing hands, then the tow pilot would only need a private.

The glider boys in my area all have a club they pay dues to and the pawnee tow plane is owned by the club. I'm certain a few of the tow pilots are PPL's only. Same for a glider owned by the club. All covered by dues. I'm not sure how the Fed in your face interprets this. Part of the problem with over regulator's is they can show up at your operation, question the legality then shut down your operation while they find out. Could be quick or could be weeks but in the end they are not culpable for slowing or stopping your operation while they learn as they go. Same deal when SWAT knocks down the door of a suspected drug house only to figure out they were on the wrong street. They aren't culpable for tearing up your property. Federal government on many levels poorly run and full of tax payer waste.

Good. My dad almost hit one at 1200feet over downtown Boston. He was talking to skyways. The drone was obviously not. I'm sure you would be singing a different tune after you smash one out of the sky in the cub one afternoon.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/new...t-Down-Drone-Operators-Web-Site-223697-1.html

The FAA has attempted to shut down a drone operator’s website advertising photo and video services. But so far, Steve Girard of Gorham, Maine, continues to promote his side business, Xtreme Aerial View. On the site, he offers “aerial pictures and videos, perfect for real estate listings but also great for weddings, family parties or for someone who would like an aerial view of their property.” According to a Portland Press-Herald report Saturday, Girard uses a three-pound DJI Phantom drone to capture his images. The Portland Flight Standards District Office left Girard a voice mail on March 3: “… an investigator will be in touch with you regarding the limitations which you may be exceeding in regard to advertising drones and aerial footage,” it said. “They’ll be looking for you to pull down the website. … There are serious implications, and there are fines and penalties associated with this activity.”
When he posted the FAA’s message on Facebook, First Amendment and drone advocates chimed in to defend his activities. Peter Sachs, founder of the Drone Pilots Association, reached out to Girard on Facebook with some assurances, saying the FAA’s proposed regulations for unmanned aerial systems will be pending for perhaps a year or more, as the comment period hasn’t opened yet. “Until the proposed rules become final, there really is no law whatsoever in regard to commercial regulations,” he said. “It’s a very silly focus right now unless something presents a clear danger,” Sachs told the Press-Herald. “They have better things to do, especially since there is no basis of law to back them up.” Girard told the newspaper he doesn’t believe he did anything wrong. “I’m all about following the rules. Just give me something to follow,” he said. In efforts to placate the FAA, he had taken his prices off his website and told the Press-Herald the FAA stopped calling him after he publicized the March 3 message. When contacted by AVweb, he declined further comment.

What is the bounty on drones? Maybe we can come up with some kind of airborne jammer. 8)
This would be sooo easy to do. A very interesting idea as jamming is considerably more crude/easy/cheap than what is needed on board the drone . The machines have to have the ability to take over internally AND avoid other traffic on their own in order to be fail safe which adds to cost and weight. I wonder if the FAA has considered this?

This would be sooo easy to do. A very interesting idea as jamming is considerably more crude/easy/cheap than what is needed on board the drone . The machines have to have the ability to take over internally AND avoid other traffic on their own in order to be fail safe which adds to cost and weight. I wonder if the FAA has considered this?

We were here first, they need to carry the extra weight.

Was at the IA meeting this morning where one of the topics was about the drone NPRM. It only applies to those which weight 55 lbs or less. It seems that there is nothing at the present time which applies to larger drones.

Back