• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Save the evening light

AKClimber

Juneau, AK
The Alaska Senate passed a bill to eliminate DST.

They cited health concerns since more accidents happen after the switch to DST - yeah, no kidding, look I can go out and spend more time outdoors instead of watching TV. There is this strange association between daylight and activity level. And again between activity level and the number of ER visits.

I live in Alaska so I can enjoy the outdoors, and having an extra hour of daylight after work is when I am most likely to go flying, hiking, biking, fishing, hunting, skiing, snowmachining, or just drink beer in the sun with a steak on the BBQ.

If we're going to eliminate one time, let's keep DST only.

Oh, and Fairbanks will no longer have midnight sun - without DST the sun will set around 11:48 pm on solstice instead of 12:48 or so.

Sorry, I just had to rant...

Last edited:
Petition the employers and society to move the work day back an hour earlier.. and you're all set ! ;-)

There is a bill in the NM legislature to change to Central Std Time permanently. Since we are in the Mountain Time Zone, it would effectively put us on Daylight Savings time year round. I'm all for it. That would give me time enough to go play with the planes after work during the winter.

Cub Builder

Amazing isn't it! Oil prices below $50.00 a barrel. Pipeline moving less oil than it ever has. Feds won't let us explore on our own land. Alaska's fiscal deficit is at 3.4 Billion for 2015. We have a 90 day legislative session and this is what these knuckle heads spend their time debating; getting rid of DST!!! Give me a break!!!!

This past Monday is the first time in about 4 months that my ride home after work was in daylight. I think it should change every month so that it's light till 9pm every day.

Glenn

Michigan's legislature can't pass a decent bill to repair our deteriorating roads, but they're talking about eliminating DST here, too. Idiots.

Anne.

Not to worry.... Montana was worried about whether to ban yoga pants or not.... and they get paid for this......

Well we had one of our finest saying that they were too sexually suggestive and should be banned.... my thoughts were that he probably hadn't been to Walmart ever. :lol:

I think this is a big deal that has not been thought out. This will reduce time to do things after work by an hour. We always push to get everything done in the summer but now will have one less hour. The hour in the morning will be largely wasted, we aren't going to get up an hour earlier to do things before work. Hunting season daylight will end at 7 rather than 8. Seems like the daylight savings is a good idea to match available light with summer activity. And yes Alaska's budget is running a 50% deficit and this is what they decide to tackle. Good Grief.

I just wish they'd set it one way or another and leave it alone! I can adjust my schedule to get done what I have to. I have some friends that live in AZ and they seem to get along just fine without the twice yearly time change.

DST at or north of about 45 deg. latitude is pretty worthless from an energy savings perspective, as the summer days are already very long. That said, two proposals to eliminate DST have failed twice in Idaho in the last two years.

Back