• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Muffler replacement, reuse shroud?

Russ Norwood

Austin, TX
image.jpg

I recently bought a '76 Super Cub and have the Atlee HD muffler. I discovered an exhaust leak and the muffler looks like its toast. It has a major hole/leak near the left end and under the shroud, by the duct going to carb heat. The shroud is buckled/separated a little with a small crack probably from the direct exhaust heat exposure. My question is whether the shroud is reusable if we can work it back into shape? If not, I may order the Hot Rod combo with new shroud. Help me spend my $$$. Photo of shroud added.

Thanks,

Russ

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    355 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Could you post a few pics? A muffler should not burn through (hole) with normal use unless the material or the workmanship was substandard to start with. A crack maybe.

Could you post a few pics? A muffler should not burn through (hole) with normal use unless the material or the workmanship was substandard to start with. A crack maybe.

BS.... thats why you need to inspect them often, they DO fail in many ways....

If someone came out with a SS shroud STC, I'd buy it. It just might buy you enough time to find a good place to put her down before the fan stops - or worse – after a muffler rupture.

Less than 30Hrs. on new muffler:

muffler1.jpg
muffler2.jpg

Attachments

• muffler1.jpg
    muffler1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 175
  • muffler2.jpg
    muffler2.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 159
30 hrs? How many years? Looks old and rusty and had a severe backfire. Huge difference in an original muffler and the materials they use today.

If someone came out with a SS shroud STC, I'd buy it. It just might buy you enough time to find a good place to put her down before the fan stops - or worse – after a muffler rupture.

Less than 30Hrs. on new muffler:

View attachment 19312
View attachment 19313
I'm curious about the failure modes here. Was there a backfire? Extreme EGT? I wouldn't imagine the shroud could handle bare exhaust - it would simply melt if the power setting is high enough, right? My thinking is that it would not be worth repairing.

I have the hot rod muffler, makes the cub sound like a Harley.8) Might have helped takeoff RPM a bit did help CHT at full throttle. It is loud.
DENNY

30 hrs? How many years? Looks old and rusty and had a severe backfire. Huge difference in an original muffler and the materials they use today.

Sorry, Mr. Pierce and moneyburner, I don't know how old it was. No backfire reported in the info I got. Have a few more pics of the damage, but I'll have to look for them on my archives drive (if needed).

Last edited:
Sorry but I have inspected a lot of mufflers and that looks like it has way more than 30 hours onnit. Calan Der time has an effect as well.

Sorry but I have inspected a lot of mufflers and that looks like it has way more than 30 hours onnit. Calan Der time has an effect as well.

I'm not doubting your expertise and experience with these cans. This info is 12 years old but I can't tell you when the event took place.

Wow, shows you how bad it could have been. Mine burned up the scat duct and blasted a sleeved fuel fuel line with heat but no other apparent damage. The burning smell of the exhaust, particularly on takeoff was very noticeable. I am going to try and have the shroud repaired and spot welded. New muffler on the way. thanks for the input.

Russ

Back