• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Apostle Islands National Lakeshore

ethanb: No need to apologize for photos or airplanes. GREAT pics and nice Cessna---have a friend who has been flying an aerobat for many years and the adventures he has had are simply amazing--- he has many nice photos of his 6 or 7 solo trips to the wilds of Canada and Alaska. I really wish I could talk more folks into joining this web site as we all talk flying not just Super Cubs---though I must admit IF my finances allowed --the PA-18 is what I would have.;-)

Great pictures, Jeff. We spend summers in Bayfield and have seen the caves by boat/dingy numerous times, but never in the winter. My only caution to pilots is that the park service does not take kindly to airplanes. Minimum altitude over the islands is 1000'AGL (1800'MSL). Part of the National Lakeshore is on the mainland so be careful! I am prohibited from landing my seaplane outside the park and taxiing in to a beach to enjoy the beauty of the area.

Great pictures, Jeff. We spend summers in Bayfield and have seen the caves by boat/dingy numerous times, but never in the winter. My only caution to pilots is that the park service does not take kindly to airplanes. Minimum altitude over the islands is 1000'AGL (1800'MSL). Part of the National Lakeshore is on the mainland so be careful! I am prohibited from landing my seaplane outside the park and taxiing in to a beach to enjoy the beauty of the area.

Cranman,
It sounds like you have quite a bit of local knowledge. I know that Jeff, and another pilot that recently visited the caves, both landed and tied down outside of the 1/4 mile National Lakeshore Boundary clearly marked by the Christmas trees. Neither taxied anywhere near the shore. On the sectional chart, the legend states that 2000' AGL is requested(requested being a key word, not required) in the blue dotted/solid blue boundary lines. Is the 1000' AGL(1800' MSL) you mention published anywhere? Did a park official give you that info? I would just like to know for my own personal knowledge as I am up that way a fair amount.

Where do you base your plane in the summer? I'll keep an eye out for you.

Thanks,
Joe

Jeff,

Great pictures! I've also heard people say that the cliffs off of Grand Island near Munising and Pictured Rocks have some great ice features as well, just a thought for a future day trip. Lookin good in that beautiful Super Cub! Hope to hook up with ya some day and do a little back country flyin, Take Care :smile:

Rick

Awesome shots Jjeff. Looked like an excellent day to own and fly a Super Cub. Thanks for taking the time to post and share.

Jeff,

Great pictures! I've also heard people say that the cliffs off of Grand Island near Munising and Pictured Rocks have some great ice features as well, just a thought for a future day trip. Lookin good in that beautiful Super Cub! Hope to hook up with ya some day and do a little back country flyin, Take Care :smile:

Rick

Thanks for the kind comments Rick. Looking forward to when we can do some trips together after you get your project in the air.

Jeff

Last edited:
Joe,

I was given that info. years ago by knowledgeable local pilots. If other info. is now on the sectional I would follow that.

My PA14 is based at ASX. If you are up my way and need to tuck in a hangar for the night let me know. (772 349-8550)

Jon

There are about 10 planes going tomorrow 3/7,, plans are to land around 1230-100 If anyone out there is interested....

There are about 10 planes going tomorrow 3/7,, plans are to land around 1230-100 If anyone out there is interested....

How is the ice? is it snow covered after last weeks storm?? can I land my spam can out there? 6.00x6s and a nose dragger! :roll:

Reports are bare ice and some snow cover beyond the 1/4 park boundary along shore. Farther out more wind blown. They only had 3-4" snow after Jeff posted his photos. It's been windier than a bastard last few days. Can't be much out there. We have some skyhawks, and an Aeronca Sedan on wheels coming. I am on 29" BW.. Some of the guys on skis. We are taking our chances that there is suitable landing out on the lake. Ice is thick so no worries there. Skiplanes will land first and I'll ascertain if need be how much snow there is but I am thinking there will be streaks of bare ice. Come meet us.

We went (by land) today and saw somebody come by on skis. Anyone we know?

Skiplane in front of Eagle Island
IMG_9435.JPG

Close-up:
IMG_9442_crop.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9435.JPG
    IMG_9435.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 223
  • IMG_9442_crop.jpg
    IMG_9442_crop.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 262
Joe,

I was given that info. years ago by knowledgeable local pilots. If other info. is now on the sectional I would follow that.

My PA14 is based at ASX. If you are up my way and need to tuck in a hangar for the night let me know. (772 349-8550)

Jon

Cranman,

Thanks so much for the hangar offer. I'll let you know if I'm coming your way.

Joe

I visited the caves yesterday, and they were beautiful. Here are a couple of photos from the air as I approached from the southwest. Note the long line of people walking out to the caves in the second photo.

IMG_7446.jpg
IMG_7456.jpg

There was no wind, but I tied my super cub down after taking this photo...pretty much just ice.
IMG_7461.jpg

IMG_7463.jpg
IMG_7473.jpg
IMG_7482.jpg
IMG_7484.jpg
IMG_7501.jpg
IMG_7503.jpg
IMG_7505.jpg
IMG_7518.jpg

I was warned to park at least a quarter of a mile from the shoreline, and that there would be "some trees" on the ice to mark that distance. I didn't spot any trees, so I parked "a considerable distance" from the shore, and walked what seemed like an eternity to the caves. On my way back I found "the tree", and figured out why I hadn't seen it from the air!!! You can see from this photo that I was just a tad further out than 1/4 mile:-( The "tree" was about 3 feet tall...

IMG_7521.jpg

Jeff, thanks for initiating this thread! Terrific natural wonder to behold.

Randy "quarter mile" Corfman

Attachments

• IMG_7446.jpg
    IMG_7446.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 771
  • IMG_7456.jpg
    IMG_7456.jpg
    918.9 KB · Views: 762
  • IMG_7461.jpg
    IMG_7461.jpg
    542.8 KB · Views: 747
  • IMG_7463.jpg
    IMG_7463.jpg
    917.6 KB · Views: 768
  • IMG_7473.jpg
    IMG_7473.jpg
    598.9 KB · Views: 732
  • IMG_7482.jpg
    IMG_7482.jpg
    707.1 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_7484.jpg
    IMG_7484.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,012
  • IMG_7501.jpg
    IMG_7501.jpg
    830.3 KB · Views: 737
  • IMG_7503.jpg
    IMG_7503.jpg
    857.4 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_7505.jpg
    IMG_7505.jpg
    976.8 KB · Views: 708
  • IMG_7518.jpg
    IMG_7518.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 628
  • IMG_7521.jpg
    IMG_7521.jpg
    609.7 KB · Views: 617
According to the Apostle Island's FB page, the ice caves will close tonight for the season. I feel very fortunate for myself and the others who got to see them this year. There were not may days it was a possibility. For those who wanted to go but could not make it, keep an eye out toward next winter. It really is a worthwhile experience you won't forget.

Joe

Back