• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Any supercub.org members in Chile

MT12

FRIEND
Montana
I just finished an attempt to climb Aconcagua and now I'm bumming around Chile til March 5. Mostly south from Santiago. I'd be interested to meet any members down here if it worked out.

Doug

OK since you ask. Aconcagua is 22841msl. Base camp sits at 14500 and is about a 20 hike in from the national park headquarters. We hiked in about 4 hours the first day and camped at confluencia where we went up 14300 the next day to acclimatize. I went with a buddy of mine on our own. We did hire a mule company to take our heavy gear into base camp for us, about 150# of food and gear.

There are usually 3 upper mountain camps above base camp and the summit is usually attempted from camp 3.

We had good weather for our attempt except for the winds which were blowing up high well above35 mph. The problem we encountered was water, or lack there of. Due to the lateness in the season coupled with 2 very dry winters there was not water available in camps 1 and 3.

Long story short, my buddy did't acclimatize very well and felt pewny above about 15500. I made it up tp about 18500 but didn't make the move to try and do a solo summit attempt.

I've never been to a place as harsh as Aconcagua. Absolutely no vegitation above about 11000. To me it seemed like a cross between what i imagine Afganistan must look like and Nevada, only not as lush as Nevada. Great people all throughout argentina and in the camps but tough physical conditions.

Back