Thread: ACE Cylinder Sleeves

Post Thanks / Like

ACE Cylinder Sleeves

One of the most asked questions about our new cylinders is concerning the sleeve. The sleeve is made of aluminum not steel and is coated with a very hard Nykasil Carbide coating. We could have just coated the cylinder bore itself but felt that for a few extra bucks a removable sleeve would be give us more flexibility for design changes and maintenance. If the bore ever gets damaged it is quite easy to remove the sleeve and insert a new or reconditioned one. Why aluminum? Now everything in the cylinder is one material which means we can close down tolerances to levels consistent with modern engine design. Less blow-by, lower oil consumption, better heat dispersion, and increased efficiency of chamber.

Here is sleeve by itself:

Installed:

Note the edge of sleeve, allows a mechanical lock when bolted to case:

Simple drawing how the rings actually ride on the carbide particles held in place by Nickel coating:

Post Thanks / Like
    Are these available to retrofit to old cylinders and is this an economical option?

Post Thanks / Like
    Our cylinders can direct replace any parallel or angle valve Lycoming cylinder for wide deck 320, 360, or 540 experimental engine. Economical? The AX50 or AX40 cylinder and valve train are $2850 ea. With new rods, pins, pistons, and ring packs the assembly is $3500 ea. This is about the same price as a comparable performing Lycoming Angle Valve cylinder that weights 8.5 lbs more.

BUT, I run 91 unleaded fuel in my R409 at a California price of $3.78 gallon, about $1.00 less per gallon than the local self serve. In 500 ours of operation that is a savings of $4000! (8gph x $1.00 x 500= $4000) I would say that is pretty economical… What does your local premium unleaded fuel cost?

Over 2000 hours of operation my AX50 cylinders are a better ROI than my savings account!
    Last edited by Relentless; 02-14-2015 at 01:01 PM. Reason: spell

Post Thanks / Like
    Man you do pretty work!

Post Thanks / Like
    So, do they make the same power running 91 as they would 100ll, or are you retarding the timing with electronic ingnition?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work Kevin I am impressed.This is LONG overdue.Those bores will be nearly indestructible with that surface.In the motocross engines we never even honed them just put another ring in.Bore was so hard it never even wore.Carbide tools would hardly scratch it.Had to grind any port mods.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    If by chance one of the sleeves gets damaged what would it cost to put in a new sleeve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. I have not seen any difference in hp run 91unleaded fuel. Our peak timing is actually 17 percent advanced. This is due to design of our squish chamber and faster, more efficient burn. Backing the timing off also helps with onset of detonation. Bonus!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great question and something we have not established yet. From the hip I would think around $500-$600. We estimated that a complete cylinder overhaul replacing all guides, sleeve, and valve train should be about 1/3 of the cost of new cylinder. As mentioned already in this post however, we are expecting much longer operational life for our components. If a steel barrel cylinder can easily make 2500 hours, we are thinking possibly twice that easily. This is new tech to aviation but well proven in many motorsports.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your reply and the only thing i would like to here is when you will apply this to the small Continental engines cylinders and induction systems

Post Thanks / Like
    When someone shows up with about 250k to design and build tooling for production. If you know anyone that has large fortune and wants to make it smaller have them call us, we can help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I really appreciate the feedback. This is all very exciting stuff. I have another question. How do you think the cylinders are going to hold up to an more extreme climate, such as Alaska. Just wondering how they will hold up in the really cold weather. In sure it's not a concern, just a question. Thanks in advance. Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Ron,

All I can say is the technology we are applying here is more like the new Snow Machine ya'll ride up there and less like the 50 year old vw motor under your cowling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
    When someone shows up with about 250k to design and build tooling for production. If you know anyone that has large fortune and wants to make it smaller have them call us, we can help.
    I am currently overseas. I tried to email you on a website (San Luis Obispo Airport related) & had the email bounce back. I went on the ACE website to contact you directly - I filled out my name, subject matter & personal email address. I look forward to hearing from you, Ben Ballinger

Post Thanks / Like
    Anything special on the exhaust valve guide ware and extra oil to top of head for cooling? I think the exhaust valve guides are the major issue with the stock lycoming cylinders.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    We will know very soon how the new cylinders perform in a bushplane in ALASKA..............

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	300.7 KB 
ID:	19029

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    just a link to the other thread to keep it easy to find....
    http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...ycoming-320%85

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    Anything special on the exhaust valve guide ware and extra oil to top of head for cooling? I think the exhaust valve guides are the major issue with the stock lycoming cylinders.
    DENNY
    Looks like bronze valve guides.Long used in the race car world.good stuff.

Bill