• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fowler flaps on a cub wing?

BRIAN
I hope you are saving all the old ribs below the new rib, there are a lot of guys looking for stock ribs even if they need some repair.
DENNY

In the pictures there is a piper aileron layed on top of the flap for size comparison.

the day and night pa-12 long flap stc uses a cub aileron for a flap, then squares wing & moves out the aileron, a cuts some off of both ends of aileron... for size comparison...

It is also (supposed to be..)limited to 40 degrees..

Are you going with 17' + square tip wing? If so it you will have about 60'' of ailerons left. Looks almost enough to me.

Ailerons to match

Denny, I haven't tossed any original ribs, but they are all pretty rough. I'll see if I need any of them and if not I'll pass them along to someone else. As for my wings. I will be running 17 foot spars with a squared off tip, the flap starts approximately 5" from the side of the fuselage and is 141" long, that leaves about 58" of wing remaining for the aileron. My plan is to use a shortened Cessna 150 flap as a frise style aileron, it has a 19.5 chord x 58" span, giving me 1131 in^2 of aileron surface. A standard cub aileron is 102" long with a chord of 13.5" for an area of 1377 in^2. The difference in area will be compensated for by my aileron being further out on the wing and thereby providing more leverage/force. The center of the stock cub aileron is 119" from the side of the fuselage, the center of mine is 174". A little rough math shows that my aileron should have about 1.2 times the leverage of a stock cub aileron. This is very rough physics, I'm not going to figure it out to the Nth degree, sorry that just isn't how I work. By my measurements my set up should actually have slightly more force than a Cessna 206 (which has very good aileron control), just considering aileron area and position on the span. The wing/aileron pics are of a 206 frise style aileron. To transform the 150 flap to an aileron it will have the forward flap track arm trimmed off and a pivot location aft of the leading edge will be drilled (conveniently there is already a rivet right where the pivot hole will be, drill it out and insert a bolt.) I will be making my own aileron hangers, similar to my flap hanger design to encompass the rear spar, not sure it the aileron force will need to be passed forward to the front spar like with the flaps, I'll look more at that as the project progresses. Thanks for the interest and comments. Joel

Attachments

• DSCF4807.jpg
    DSCF4807.jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCF4805.jpg
    DSCF4805.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 146
  • DSCF4806.jpg
    DSCF4806.jpg
    434.2 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCF4808.jpg
    DSCF4808.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCF4809.jpg
    DSCF4809.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCF4810.jpg
    DSCF4810.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 161
BRIAN
I hope you are saving all the old ribs below the new rib, there are a lot of guys looking for stock ribs even if they need some repair.
DENNY

Denny... If the ribs you see, only one or two are original Piper.... Most of them are made up out of a small T extrusion...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

....I will be making my own aileron hangers, similar to my flap hanger design to encompass the rear spar, not sure it the aileron force will need to be passed forward to the front spar like with the flaps, I'll look more at that as the project progresses....

Notice that the 206 wing has a rib directly in line with each aileron hinge. These ribs transfer the twisting loads on the rear spar forward to the front spar. You do not want twisting loads on the spar. By using the front spar, through the rib, to prevent the twist you are changing the twist load to a shear load. A spar is weakened when twisted. By allowing a twist load you can/will cause stresses which could cause loosening of fasteners and/or cracking over time. An aileron does apply twisting loads on the outboard section of a wing.

attachment.php

I never got far past this point in the building, life and other airplanes got in the way. If you've still have questions ask away. Wish I'd gotten further. I deleted some messages from my inbox so you can message me there.

Was that the Darringer?
I remember you posting pics but don't recall if it had T-Craft wings or just what.

Re fowler flaps, there was a pretty cool airplane posted about a while back,
the Badlands Traveler-- a Supercub with C152 wings.

Super Cub on Steroids! - YouTube

Hotrod,

Yes that is the Darringer... Hasn't been flown in many years now... He did build it with 3 piece Taylorcraft airfoil ribs and canted the nose piece down a little for a bit of a leading edge cuff.

Brian.

Hey, my ears were burning!
Perhaps thread drift here but I’m currently waiting on an faa inspection for the 4th “badlands traveler”
with a Sportsman stol kit, the 150 wing really performs better than it should.
that being said, I’m designing my own wing for future airplanes, but the fuselages will still accept a c-150 or 172 wing.

A “new” constant chord airfoil with sportsman profile built in.
8’4” of flaps. 6’ deep chord ailerons.
RANS style truss to tie the spars together and move strut attach to 25%
23 gallon wing tanks.
carlson cub style spars that are taller and stronger than piper.
fingers crossed, hoping to complete the next airplane with these wings by summer.

Attachments

• 07A85196-41FE-455B-934B-EA3CE7F7C436.jpg
    07A85196-41FE-455B-934B-EA3CE7F7C436.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 29BD5FD4-60FC-4E65-8AAE-C4A58FF6FD3B.jpg
    29BD5FD4-60FC-4E65-8AAE-C4A58FF6FD3B.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 168
  • EF399D26-5DE3-4CF0-BFA4-1F71A5410723.jpg
    EF399D26-5DE3-4CF0-BFA4-1F71A5410723.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 155
Clint, are you using Cessna's 40° max for flaps or adding more? Ever considered adapting Keller flaps? Using a 206 wing?

Interesting wing project!

I believe the owner said on the video his first Badlands Traveller with C150 wings took off a bit shorter than the one with 172 wings.
Difference in takeoff weight maybe?
I could see the bigger wings (another 25 or so sq feet) might be better for a heavier airplane,
but I'd think the shorter winged airplane would handle quicker.
That's the route I would go.

Back